Patient Comments: Trigger Finger - Symptoms

What does a trigger finger feel like? Describe your symptoms associated with the condition.

Comment from: Debbie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

Mine started by feeling like I'd jammed my ring finger on my left hand. The pain grew worse as time passed and at night it would "draw" and be frozen in a bent position. There was no straightening it without excruciating pain. As it worsened, it felt like my finger and down into my palm was on fire. This also made it difficult to hold things, there was weakness in those joints that made it difficult to squeeze, pick up or hold anything. I can't close my fist. Every finger goes down except for that one finger. Anti-inflammatories are helping.

Comment from: Skotatnite, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 04

I have severe pain in both hands late afternoon till morning. My hands will not straighten without force and with that there is severe pain. I have had carpal tunnel release in both hands and De Quervain's tendonitis release on the right. I am awaiting surgery on both hands to correct the trigger finger.

Comment from: bscruff49, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

There is pain in the palm of my hand just below my middle finger. Early in the morning the middle finger is hard to straighten out. There is moderate pain with trigger finger.

Comment from: Sophisticated Lady01, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

My job consist of always lifting moderate to extremely heavy boxes with palm cards and additional massive amounts of literature. It was noted that the repetitive trauma caused excessive pain to my right hand middle finger. I was told that my finger locking was called a trigger finger, I never had heard of such. All the doctors stated that the stress placed on my tendon had caused the trigger finger which if not treated from the first onset, arthritis could set in. However, if you are lifting heavy boxes, contact employer, constant trauma is a work place injury. No one informed me of the process. I had to find this out on my own. I hope it isn't too late.

Comment from: teacher, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I have had a trigger finger for several months; first the middle finger of my left hand. I had an injection that seemed to help for several weeks, then the problem resurfaced. This time it went away on its own after a few months. Then the middle finger on my right hand began to catch. I have done nothing to correct it. It is sometimes more problematic than other times, but it seems to be healing by itself. There is a finger guard on the market that helps to stabilize the finger while one is sleeping. This seems to help also.

Comment from: Yorkie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

It started as mild pain across the palm where the third and fourth fingers join the palm and gradually got worse. A burning sensation started, and at times, I cannot close my first three fingers properly and when I flex them, it is painful. I do a lot of craftwork, knitting, and crochet and therefore I overwork the hand (it is my left) at times. I hope to have surgery soon.

Comment from: TheGreeneBess, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

When I woke up in the morning, my middle finger would be stuck in the bent position. It could only be lifted back into position with my other hand, and it was very, very painful. The pain radiated to the palm of my hand and it was constant. I started using a splint at night to keep the finger straight. I was first given oral steroids wich did not work, then I got the cortesone shot directly in my palm! It was painful, but I no longer suffer.

Trigger Finger - Treatments Question: What types of treatment, including medication or injections, did you receive for your trigger finger?