Patient Comments: Trigger Finger - Symptoms

What does a trigger finger feel like? Describe your symptoms associated with the condition.

Comment from: Painful, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I was diagnosed with carpal tunnel and trigger finger. From my research I've learn that with trigger finger one finger is in a bent position. However, in the morning I can't bend my four fingers. It usually takes about 30 to 45 minutes before I can bend them but the pain and tightness in joints are there all day. Maybe I need to visit the doctor again. This been going on for months now.

Comment from: Davis4325, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

I broke my wrist back in December of 2015. I have pins and a T-plate in my wrist to help me heal my radius bone. I've been going to therapy since December. I have gain some mobility back, but have popping and snapping going on in my wrist. Recently I have my (left hand) ring finger experiencing trigger finger. My fingers are really swollen, been working on stretching and bending and now I am experiencing trigger finger. I can't straighten out my finger, I need help popping the tendon and finger back to where it should be. So over this injury.

Comment from: JGeng64, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 23

I have a variation of trigger finger where after months of applying icy hot cream and taking Advil, I still can't flex/close my index finger more than 50 percent. Problem is 1st joint at the hand and knuckle. Cause is from hammering, building large shed then hammering to install 3 laminate floors. There is no swelling, no pain, and no clicking. I have been trying to stretch the ligament to gradually bend and hold the index finger to almost hold a ski pole/walking poles by locking it around the handle with my thumb or other times just use my thumb to apply pressure to close the index finger. I can't play tennis and can't work now.

Comment from: bena, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

I don't know how or why the trigger finger started, could be from my antibiotics or maybe fasting. I started to have pain in my thumb and it would bend, and I would have to straighten it out painfully. The pain would usually go away when I move my fingers, but limited movement will cause the triggering effects. Ibuprofen helps a little. I am thinking of getting that shot.

Comment from: GettingBetter, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 11

I have trigger finger in my middle finger of left (non-dominant) hand. I had two cortisone injections, which helped for a while, then the situation returned. My hand was swollen and sore. I could not extend nor contract that middle finger properly. I had surgery three weeks ago and am healing nicely. My hand is still swollen, but that is expected. No triggering! I have finger exercises to stretch and exercise the tendon. I feel better every day. The surgeon remarked that my case was 'textbook classic trigger finger'.

Comment from: Frustrated, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 14

I was having numbness in both arms every night for over a year. Both arms would literally fall asleep. Sometimes it would take anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes to get arms fully functional when waking in the middle of the night. After numerous doctor visits, an arm specialist decided with a couple of cortisone shots, I needed carpal tunnel surgery. The cortisone shots worked short term but numbness reoccurred after 6 weeks. I elected to do carpal tunnel surgery on both arms at once to end the pain as I was told it would only take around 6 weeks for recovery. It has been 8 months and my hands still aren't right. I have now developed trigger finger in the middle finger of left hand, which is moving into ring finger. Unfortunately, I am left handed, which is terribly frustrating. Of course the doctor who performed the surgery thought cortisone shots would help but seems to have made it worse. The heels of both hands are still tender to pressure and trigger finger happens 2 to 3 times just tying one shoe. Not feeling warm and fuzzy with doctors right now and not really wanting to undergo anymore surgery. Hindsight, I don't believe I should have had the surgery to begin with.

Comment from: JB, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 10

My trigger finger has just started with my left ring finger. Mine is most problematic first thing in the morning. My finger will be drawn up like I was making a fist. To open it is very painful and the snapping lasts for several hours, and then goes away. The pain in my palm stays and is constant. I have an appointment with a hand surgeon in two days for an injection. I was told that if not dealt with early it could eventually require surgery.

Trigger Finger - Treatments Question: What types of treatment, including medication or injections, did you receive for your trigger finger?