Patient Comments: Trigger Finger - Symptoms

What does a trigger finger feel like? Describe your symptoms associated with the condition.

Comment from: bena, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

I don't know how or why the trigger finger started, could be from my antibiotics or maybe fasting. I started to have pain in my thumb and it would bend, and I would have to straighten it out painfully. The pain would usually go away when I move my fingers, but limited movement will cause the triggering effects. Ibuprofen helps a little. I am thinking of getting that shot.

Comment from: GettingBetter, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 11

I have trigger finger in my middle finger of left (non-dominant) hand. I had two cortisone injections, which helped for a while, then the situation returned. My hand was swollen and sore. I could not extend nor contract that middle finger properly. I had surgery three weeks ago and am healing nicely. My hand is still swollen, but that is expected. No triggering! I have finger exercises to stretch and exercise the tendon. I feel better every day. The surgeon remarked that my case was 'textbook classic trigger finger'.

Comment from: JB, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 10

My trigger finger has just started with my left ring finger. Mine is most problematic first thing in the morning. My finger will be drawn up like I was making a fist. To open it is very painful and the snapping lasts for several hours, and then goes away. The pain in my palm stays and is constant. I have an appointment with a hand surgeon in two days for an injection. I was told that if not dealt with early it could eventually require surgery.

Comment from: omnigold, (Patient) Published: March 17

My trigger finger pain fluctuates from feeling tight to severe pain. It's really painful where the palm and middle finger meet, when the finger joints lock up. I have to literally pry it open, a slow painful process. My finger looks like it's a little swollen and beginning to look disfigured. The finger is stiff while open and gets stuck when closed or make a fist. I have to massage the tendon in my palm and slowly work my way up to 'unhook' my finger. The snappy tendon is kind of gross! Time for a doctor visit.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 10

In my case trigger finger started after I tripped and landed heavily on my outstretched left palm, slapping the ground hard. My left middle finger would occasionally curl up and I couldn't straighten it without using my right hand to straighten it. I wouldn't call it painful, but it's not a pleasant sensation. My doctor prescribed naproxen, but later referred me to a hand surgeon for a cortisone injection after oral medicine wasn't helping. It resolved for a while but I had a minor loss of sensation in the tip of my left little finger and to a lesser extent down the edge of my left palm. Four years later the trigger finger has returned again in my left middle finger although the loss of sensation after the injection has improved a little.

Comment from: Barbara, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I had surgery in both hands for carpal tunnel and trigger finger on my thumbs and middle fingers (both hands, 4 fingers). Now I am experiencing trigger finger in another finger. I have tested negative for rheumatoid arthritis. I do have left shoulder joint stiffness and a reduction of range of motion that I improve with stretching. The surgeon I saw was baffled by the trigger finger in so many fingers. I prefer not to have more surgery but may have to resort to that if my condition worsens.

Comment from: TFlyn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

My trigger finger started mildly about 3 months ago. In the mornings, my middle finger would be sore and pop. I attributed it to signs of growing older. About a month ago the same started in my thumb (both on my right hand) and quickly worsened. It is quite painful in the mornings but loosens up during the day. Still, it is hard to grasp/hold items due to general hand weakness and pain. It occasionally pops like it's out of joint and very painful. About a week ago I woke up and my thumb was stuck in an extended position. I couldn't bend it at all. After 5 days it popped on its own and my thumb curled oddly outward. It stayed that way overnight before stiffening again in the straight position. I've had 2 cortisone shots today for both thumb and finger. No change yet. I hope they help.

Trigger Finger - Treatments Question: What types of treatment, including medication or injections, did you receive for your trigger finger?