Patient Comments: Trigger Finger - Symptoms

What does a trigger finger feel like? Describe your symptoms associated with the condition.

Comment from: Painful, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I was diagnosed with carpal tunnel and trigger finger. From my research I've learn that with trigger finger one finger is in a bent position. However, in the morning I can't bend my four fingers. It usually takes about 30 to 45 minutes before I can bend them but the pain and tightness in joints are there all day. Maybe I need to visit the doctor again. This been going on for months now.

Comment from: Davis4325, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

I broke my wrist back in December of 2015. I have pins and a T-plate in my wrist to help me heal my radius bone. I've been going to therapy since December. I have gain some mobility back, but have popping and snapping going on in my wrist. Recently I have my (left hand) ring finger experiencing trigger finger. My fingers are really swollen, been working on stretching and bending and now I am experiencing trigger finger. I can't straighten out my finger, I need help popping the tendon and finger back to where it should be. So over this injury.

Comment from: JGeng64, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 23

I have a variation of trigger finger where after months of applying icy hot cream and taking Advil, I still can't flex/close my index finger more than 50 percent. Problem is 1st joint at the hand and knuckle. Cause is from hammering, building large shed then hammering to install 3 laminate floors. There is no swelling, no pain, and no clicking. I have been trying to stretch the ligament to gradually bend and hold the index finger to almost hold a ski pole/walking poles by locking it around the handle with my thumb or other times just use my thumb to apply pressure to close the index finger. I can't play tennis and can't work now.

Comment from: bena, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

I don't know how or why the trigger finger started, could be from my antibiotics or maybe fasting. I started to have pain in my thumb and it would bend, and I would have to straighten it out painfully. The pain would usually go away when I move my fingers, but limited movement will cause the triggering effects. Ibuprofen helps a little. I am thinking of getting that shot.

Comment from: GettingBetter, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 11

I have trigger finger in my middle finger of left (non-dominant) hand. I had two cortisone injections, which helped for a while, then the situation returned. My hand was swollen and sore. I could not extend nor contract that middle finger properly. I had surgery three weeks ago and am healing nicely. My hand is still swollen, but that is expected. No triggering! I have finger exercises to stretch and exercise the tendon. I feel better every day. The surgeon remarked that my case was 'textbook classic trigger finger'.

Comment from: Barbara, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I had surgery in both hands for carpal tunnel and trigger finger on my thumbs and middle fingers (both hands, 4 fingers). Now I am experiencing trigger finger in another finger. I have tested negative for rheumatoid arthritis. I do have left shoulder joint stiffness and a reduction of range of motion that I improve with stretching. The surgeon I saw was baffled by the trigger finger in so many fingers. I prefer not to have more surgery but may have to resort to that if my condition worsens.

Comment from: JB, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 10

My trigger finger has just started with my left ring finger. Mine is most problematic first thing in the morning. My finger will be drawn up like I was making a fist. To open it is very painful and the snapping lasts for several hours, and then goes away. The pain in my palm stays and is constant. I have an appointment with a hand surgeon in two days for an injection. I was told that if not dealt with early it could eventually require surgery.

Trigger Finger - Treatments Question: What types of treatment, including medication or injections, did you receive for your trigger finger?