Patient Comments: Trigger Finger - Symptoms

What does a trigger finger feel like? Describe your symptoms associated with the condition.

Comment from: firefox3542, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I have trigger thumb and boy, I am at my wits' end. I tried the injections and anti-inflammatory drugs. Now my thumb has been stuck in a locked straight out position for the last 6 months. I cannot even manually bend it using the other hand, I have no insurance and I know I am now in need of surgery. I am at a loss on what to do now.

Comment from: Oscar, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 21

My index finger locks and I have burning pain due to trigger finger. I cannot close it and it is very painful.

Comment from: Debbie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

Mine started by feeling like I'd jammed my ring finger on my left hand. The pain grew worse as time passed and at night it would "draw" and be frozen in a bent position. There was no straightening it without excruciating pain. As it worsened, it felt like my finger and down into my palm was on fire. This also made it difficult to hold things, there was weakness in those joints that made it difficult to squeeze, pick up or hold anything. I can't close my fist. Every finger goes down except for that one finger. Anti-inflammatories are helping.

Comment from: Skotatnite, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 04

I have severe pain in both hands late afternoon till morning. My hands will not straighten without force and with that there is severe pain. I have had carpal tunnel release in both hands and De Quervain's tendonitis release on the right. I am awaiting surgery on both hands to correct the trigger finger.

Comment from: bscruff49, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

There is pain in the palm of my hand just below my middle finger. Early in the morning the middle finger is hard to straighten out. There is moderate pain with trigger finger.

Comment from: Sophisticated Lady01, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

My job consist of always lifting moderate to extremely heavy boxes with palm cards and additional massive amounts of literature. It was noted that the repetitive trauma caused excessive pain to my right hand middle finger. I was told that my finger locking was called a trigger finger, I never had heard of such. All the doctors stated that the stress placed on my tendon had caused the trigger finger which if not treated from the first onset, arthritis could set in. However, if you are lifting heavy boxes, contact employer, constant trauma is a work place injury. No one informed me of the process. I had to find this out on my own. I hope it isn't too late.

Comment from: teacher, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I have had a trigger finger for several months; first the middle finger of my left hand. I had an injection that seemed to help for several weeks, then the problem resurfaced. This time it went away on its own after a few months. Then the middle finger on my right hand began to catch. I have done nothing to correct it. It is sometimes more problematic than other times, but it seems to be healing by itself. There is a finger guard on the market that helps to stabilize the finger while one is sleeping. This seems to help also.

Comment from: Zeny F., 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 23

It is my first time to feel this kind of pain on my middle finger which is affected with trigger finger. My thumb and half of my palm is also affected.

Comment from: GS, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

The trigger finger is caused by trauma. I believe, at least for me, it stems from popping fingers and texting/typing for so many years. If I had known to do so, I would have gotten routine massages and stretched my fingers frequently.

Trigger Finger - Treatments Question: What types of treatment, including medication or injections, did you receive for your trigger finger?