Patient Comments: Trigeminal Neuralgia - Treatment

What treatments were effective for your case of trigeminal neuralgia?

Comment from: LB, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

Cymbalta has worked wonders for my trigeminal neuralgia; taken once daily in the morning. I am affected both sides, all three branches. First symptoms were about 10 years ago.

Comment from: ruthanna, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 17

I take 100 mg Tegretol 3 times a day and 800 mg ibuprofen twice daily for my trigeminal neuralgia. Also, an immediate relief for smaller episodes is a very hot wash cloth applied to the affected side about 3 repeated times. It helps immensely until my pain medication kicks in. I am not sure about the Tegretol, I feel I still have episodes. I am going back in 3 days for a checkup.

Comment from: Sucess, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I have been suffering with TN (trigeminal neuralgia) type 2 for almost 3 years. I have tried all the epilepsy medications that they prescribed but nothing helped. Twenty one days ago my general physician put me on amitriptyline 25mg. The first week was bad to adjust your body to that as it makes you very sleepy. But I never got any attacks in the last 21 days. It's used in patients that suffer from depression or have continuous migraines and also bed wetting. I feel human again because there was not a day that went by that I never had the attacks.

Comment from: twinrae, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I was diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia almost 2 years ago, and have "break-through" times about every 3 months. I am up to 300mg Lyrica 2 t times day, pain medications don't usually help nerve pain.

Comment from: UW patient, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I take 800 mg gabapentin daily. I use topical doxepin oral concentrate to numb the area. I take Tylenol Codeine #4 as needed for pain management.

Trigeminal Neuralgia - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with trigeminal neuralgia.
Trigeminal Neuralgia - Causes Question: What was the cause of the trigeminal neuralgia you suffered?
Trigeminal Neuralgia - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms of trigeminal neuralgia?