Patient Comments: Trigeminal Neuralgia - Symptoms

What were your symptoms of trigeminal neuralgia?

Comment from: lk, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I had my first symptoms 16 years ago, I thought it was a toothache. After a root canal didn"t help, I was referred to a neurologist and diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia. After reactions to many drugs, and at the point where I was losing weight because I couldn"t eat because of the pain, finally I could tolerate the drug Neurontin, and after almost a year of pain I got relief. My pain was constant and I was told the cure was brain surgery. I was pain free for fourteen years; recently I am experiencing on and off pain, and I am actually scared I will have to go through this again. I hope it will go away.

Comment from: ruthanna, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 17

With trigeminal neuralgia my eyeball area felt like it was on fire. My nostril felt like it was on fire and my jaw and teeth felt like it was just in pure pain. All on the right side of my face, nothing on the left side at all! All could be well one moment and I'd feel one of the above flare up. Within 5 minutes I'd be in the fetal position, barely able to speak from pain. It would start with one flaring up and then it was all 3 of them in pain.

Comment from: claire20, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I developed trigeminal neuralgia (TN) last year. I had electric shock like pain in my sinus area and back teeth when I spoke. I was prescribed pain killers but they didn't help much. I had TMJ (temporomandibular joint disorder) many years ago and still had the bite plate my dentist made for me in my drawer. I heard that it could help with TN as well. I wore it overnight and the next day I could speak pain free if I kept the bite plate in all day. A dentist told me it could take only six to eight weeks before I'm pain free without the mouth piece. I spent lots of money on doctors, MRI, and pills for nothing. Wish I would have known this would be the answer.

Comment from: Trish, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 27

I was diagnosed by a specialist in the teeth arena. I have migraines 5 days a week. If I Drive to work, I last two to three hours and my jaw is hurting and my left eye is closing. I feel so much pain up the back of my neck/head. I have tried every kind of medicines, acupuncture, and now I have been having migraine Botox. I just can't handle the pain anymore. I am going to a pain management doctor on Monday to help me to possibly be able to get out of bed more. I want to try surgery. I truly believe my muscles are so tight around my neck. I take muscle relaxers which don't seem to help.

Comment from: KYM, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

My symptom was piercing, very painful shooting pain in the right side of my cheek that went up through my eyeball, very painful! Also, it caused a headache on my right side, and ear pain.

Trigeminal Neuralgia - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with trigeminal neuralgia.
Trigeminal Neuralgia - Causes Question: What was the cause of the trigeminal neuralgia you suffered?
Trigeminal Neuralgia - Treatment Question: What treatments were effective for your case of trigeminal neuralgia?