Patient Comments: Trigeminal Neuralgia - Causes

What was the cause of the trigeminal neuralgia you suffered?

Comment from: kyman71, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 14

I have been dealing with trigeminal neuralgia for a little over ten years. The pain is excruciating and almost sometimes unbearable. I have been put on many medications such as Frova, Tegretol, and many other pain medications. This last November is when I had a flare up after a couple of years being somewhat pain free. I"ve had many MIRs and tests done. I went to a neurologist and after the numerous tests and MRIs, the doctors seem to think they"ve found the cause of my trigeminal neuralgia. I have an artery pressing up against my trigeminal nerve and that"s what is causing my trigeminal neuralgia. Within the next few weeks, I"ll be having brain surgery to fix this problem. After all this time of dealing with this pain, I"ll be free (hopefully).

Comment from: Kym, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I am not positive, but my symptoms started after I hit the side of my face when I fell into a corner of a door, and hit the side of my head really hard. I had 2 root canals and a tooth pulled, not knowing it was trigeminal neuralgia.

Comment from: LindaD, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I get trigeminal neuralgia several times a year. Sometimes it's worse than others and lasts from 2-5 days, and generally with debilitating pain in the side of my head, forehead, sinuses, and down the neck and inner ear. I don't know the cause of mine but I find I get it when the seasons change or when it's damp and cold outside. Since I cannot figure out the cause of mine (I was tested for every know cause and all were negative), I need to manage the pain with medication just so I can function daily.

Comment from: Mickey, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

Just concluded that lighting pain in my right lower jaw must be trigeminal neuralgia. I was diagnosed with MS in 1976 and can still walk but this electrical pain hit me last nite. Just learning about it helps me cope with this new symptom.

Trigeminal Neuralgia - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with trigeminal neuralgia.
Trigeminal Neuralgia - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms of trigeminal neuralgia?
Trigeminal Neuralgia - Treatment Question: What treatments were effective for your case of trigeminal neuralgia?