Patient Comments: Trigeminal Neuralgia - Experience

Please describe your experience with trigeminal neuralgia.

Comment from: Dee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I have had trigeminal neuralgia (TN) for the last 5 years. It is only on the right side of my face. I have a shocking sensation on upper jaw, head is sensitive to touch during migraines, and a feeling of something crawling under my skin. The pain is controlled by regular visits to my chiropractor. This also cured the migraines I have lived with for years.

Comment from: jlo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I went in for cosmetic Botox injections for lines and crow's feet. My doctor accidently hit a nerve at my jaw line. I began to have pain along the jaw continuing to my ear. The pain was unbearable, electrical pulsating twinges. It began with a pop in my jaw while eating, hours later that same day. The pain lasted for a few minutes on and off than by the 5th day the pain never really let up. I am in my first week on the 6th day of trigeminal neuralgia and it is bothering occasionally and not so intense.

Comment from: Beach-T, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

Well, today I met with my pain doctor, who just had done a stellate ganglion block about a week ago, which I might add did not work. We are exhausting all my options right now, and I only have 1 pain management shot left. At this time, I've had 2 migraines this week, and I'm so sad that I can't even get 1 thing fixed. Calmed down at this point I will take anything, I'm getting more migraine medications to see if it helps the trigeminal neuralgia (TN). I do have left side facial and ear extreme pain, teeth are very sensitive, I even pulled a tooth to see things would change, negative. I do believe this is the worst condition to have, I also had a neuro stimulation implanted, and it works for the back of my head but nowhere else.

Comment from: Bob G, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: April 29

I first had symptoms of trigeminal neuralgia (TN) about 7 weeks ago and was treated originally for shingles. I also had a dead molar removed on the same, left side. Originally I was treated with oxcarbazepine for 4 days but the side effects were horrible and I had no relief from TN. This was switched to gabapentin at 1800 per day. Each week has been steadily better and now 4 weeks later I am at a state where my lifestyle is very little changed from before the attack. The side effects of gabapentin is minimal and I can easily do almost all former functions. I have essential tremor and it got worse but I can manage that.

Comment from: Sharon, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

From 2008 to 2010, I suffered from the trigeminal neuralgia on the right side of my face. Then in May 2010 I went to have the nerve laser treated. I was great for 10 months. I had no more pain, no numbness or tingling. Since March 2010, I started with the numbness, tingling, itching, pulsing, and sometimes pain, but not the same pain as the nerve pain. I feel like I have a Novocain that never stopped working. I wonder if there is anything that can be done now to get the feeling back into the right side of my face. There is no distortion, just some weird sensations.

Comment from: dodie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 01

When I had shingles I had a severe pain in my right ear. It lasted during the time it took to cure the shingles. Since then I have recurring bouts, this over a span of six years. I am now being treated with gabapentin, it does help. It was diagnosed as trigeminal neuralgia.

Comment from: Christine, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I developed trigeminal neuralgia after a nose surgery where too much of my inferior turbinates were cut out. The tissue inside my nose subsequently deteriorated and I got what is called empty nose syndrome. I then started getting strong, random electric shocks in the right side mostly, but sometimes left side of my nose, cheeks, eyes and scalp. My jaw aches and my teeth have a burning sensation. Medications don"t seem to help and make me feel awful. I"m am trying natural treatments. Fingers crossed

Trigeminal Neuralgia - Causes Question: What was the cause of the trigeminal neuralgia you suffered?
Trigeminal Neuralgia - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms of trigeminal neuralgia?
Trigeminal Neuralgia - Treatment Question: What treatments were effective for your case of trigeminal neuralgia?