Patient Comments: Trigeminal Neuralgia - Experience

Please describe your experience with trigeminal neuralgia.

Comment from: Sharon, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

From 2008 to 2010, I suffered from the trigeminal neuralgia on the right side of my face. Then in May 2010 I went to have the nerve laser treated. I was great for 10 months. I had no more pain, no numbness or tingling. Since March 2010, I started with the numbness, tingling, itching, pulsing, and sometimes pain, but not the same pain as the nerve pain. I feel like I have a Novocain that never stopped working. I wonder if there is anything that can be done now to get the feeling back into the right side of my face. There is no distortion, just some weird sensations.

Comment from: Christine, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I developed trigeminal neuralgia after a nose surgery where too much of my inferior turbinates were cut out. The tissue inside my nose subsequently deteriorated and I got what is called empty nose syndrome. I then started getting strong, random electric shocks in the right side mostly, but sometimes left side of my nose, cheeks, eyes and scalp. My jaw aches and my teeth have a burning sensation. Medications don"t seem to help and make me feel awful. I"m am trying natural treatments. Fingers crossed

Comment from: Kuna, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 14

I was treated by the dentist specialist with numbness causing injection in the mandibular, lower jaw. Sometimes it stopped the episode of cyclic pain of trigeminal neuralgia. Later I was given gabapentin (300mg x2) 3 times a day with carbamazepine. This helped at times. The pain was missing for almost 1.5 years until now it started at random the last 3 days. I am helpless now hoping the sharp excruciating pain to go away.

Comment from: Carleen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

My first episode of trigeminal neuralgia (TN) occurred ten years ago while undergoing chemotherapy for breast cancer, I was hospitalized for the flu and on neutropenia precautions. While in the hospital the TN pain started and was controlled somewhat with Percocet. Ever since then I experience TN pain every time I get a head cold. It can be on either right side or left side of temple or just below my ears. Pain will last 2 to 4 days and is excruciating. I take ibuprofen 800 to 1000 mg every 6 hours which has good effect.

Comment from: Colin, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 24

I was diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia shortly after my 32nd birthday. In the early stages it was thought that I was suffering from TMJ (temporomandibular joint disorder) and was sent to the dental clinic. After several exams, it was found that TMJ was not the problem but they did do a root canal on a tooth that was cracked. A night guard was made for me because they found that I was grinding my teeth while I slept. It took a severe sinus infection and a CT scan to realize that the pain was due to unresolved inflammation of the right sinus cavities due to allergens. For the past 15 years, my pain has been controlled by Tegretol, but I do have relapses about once a year. For the record, because of the anxiety, grinding the teeth at night will set off the pain and wake you up.

Comment from: jarra10, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

Those of you with unresolved pain, I am sorry, I feel for you. I lived with pain too for five years, living on Ensure, pain killer prescription and over the counter as well as carbamazepine. I was also very depressed with pain that worsened daily. I had procedure at back right of skull, at top of the ear and I was cured.

Trigeminal Neuralgia - Causes Question: What was the cause of the trigeminal neuralgia you suffered?
Trigeminal Neuralgia - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms of trigeminal neuralgia?
Trigeminal Neuralgia - Treatment Question: What treatments were effective for your case of trigeminal neuralgia?