Patient Comments: Trigeminal Neuralgia - Experience

Please describe your experience with trigeminal neuralgia.

Comment from: T, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I experienced pain only when chewing, eating. Regardless of what side I chewed on, the pain started in the right side of the jaw and traveled up into the right temple and eye area, feeling pain in the back of neck. At first, I thought it was a toothache and went to 2 dentist and a specialist where they prescribed antibiotics and pain killers. After seeing the specialist I went to my regular doctor out of frustration and within 5 minutes of telling him the symptoms and the several times of going to dentists and what they kept prescribing, he was able to determine trigeminal neuralgia.

Comment from: Gbmac, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 05

I was diagnosed with MS (multiple sclerosis) in 2010, I had symptoms since 2003. Trigeminal Neuralgia started to appear late 2009. I have been taking Tegretol since late 2010 with amazing results. I know why they call it "the suicide pain”, thank goodness for Tegretol, even though the side effects are severe I would rather them than the pain anytime.

Comment from: ck, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 04

I experienced severe spasmodic pain in the lower jaw and gums. My dentist said it was my teeth and charged me a fortune for dental work that didn't help with the pain. I thought it was trigeminal neuralgia, and my doctor confirmed this.

Trigeminal Neuralgia - Causes Question: What was the cause of the trigeminal neuralgia you suffered?
Trigeminal Neuralgia - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms of trigeminal neuralgia?
Trigeminal Neuralgia - Treatment Question: What treatments were effective for your case of trigeminal neuralgia?