Patient Comments: Trigeminal Neuralgia - Experience

Please describe your experience with trigeminal neuralgia.

Comment from: Kuna, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 14

I was treated by the dentist specialist with numbness causing injection in the mandibular, lower jaw. Sometimes it stopped the episode of cyclic pain of trigeminal neuralgia. Later I was given gabapentin (300mg x2) 3 times a day with carbamazepine. This helped at times. The pain was missing for almost 1.5 years until now it started at random the last 3 days. I am helpless now hoping the sharp excruciating pain to go away.

Comment from: Carleen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

My first episode of trigeminal neuralgia (TN) occurred ten years ago while undergoing chemotherapy for breast cancer, I was hospitalized for the flu and on neutropenia precautions. While in the hospital the TN pain started and was controlled somewhat with Percocet. Ever since then I experience TN pain every time I get a head cold. It can be on either right side or left side of temple or just below my ears. Pain will last 2 to 4 days and is excruciating. I take ibuprofen 800 to 1000 mg every 6 hours which has good effect.

Comment from: Colin, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 24

I was diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia shortly after my 32nd birthday. In the early stages it was thought that I was suffering from TMJ (temporomandibular joint disorder) and was sent to the dental clinic. After several exams, it was found that TMJ was not the problem but they did do a root canal on a tooth that was cracked. A night guard was made for me because they found that I was grinding my teeth while I slept. It took a severe sinus infection and a CT scan to realize that the pain was due to unresolved inflammation of the right sinus cavities due to allergens. For the past 15 years, my pain has been controlled by Tegretol, but I do have relapses about once a year. For the record, because of the anxiety, grinding the teeth at night will set off the pain and wake you up.

Comment from: joy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I have been having TN (trigeminal neuralgia) for 10 years, I am presently on Tegretol 300mg twice a day. I have painful attacks all day and at night even worse, especially when I place my head on my pillow there is constant throbbing. I am so tired of this pain I feel like I am going crazy, I am tired of the eye pain and pain in my teeth area; even moving my tongue in my mouth triggers an attack. I go to sleep with pain and wake with pain, I am depressed and tired I do not know what it is to be without pain.

Comment from: Oakley, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 27

I've had TN (trigeminal neuralgia) for several years now. I tried all the medicines. They literally made me sick and one was toxic for me. Out of desperation I tried acupuncture and found short term relief. For those who have tried the medications without success, acupuncture may at least bring temporary relief. My own experience is that I need treatments about 4 times a year and sometimes in between. At least my life is livable now.

Comment from: jarra10, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

Those of you with unresolved pain, I am sorry, I feel for you. I lived with pain too for five years, living on Ensure, pain killer prescription and over the counter as well as carbamazepine. I was also very depressed with pain that worsened daily. I had procedure at back right of skull, at top of the ear and I was cured.

Comment from: penny, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

My experience with trigeminal pain was caused by a cyst that was pushing on the mandibular section of the nerve. It was excruciating! So much pain, and pain medications really only helped take some of the edge off.

Trigeminal Neuralgia - Causes Question: What was the cause of the trigeminal neuralgia you suffered?
Trigeminal Neuralgia - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms of trigeminal neuralgia?
Trigeminal Neuralgia - Treatment Question: What treatments were effective for your case of trigeminal neuralgia?