Patient Comments: Tremor - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your tremor?

Comment from: Debbie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I started noticing my tremor when I went through a very stressful time with my mother in the 80s. The nurse where I am employed told me to go to the doctor for treatment. I was told it is hereditary, which it does run in my family. I take 100 mg of primidone and 40 mg of propranolol per day, which keeps it under control. It affects my hands, head, and speech. What scares me is the fact that every time I go through something very stressful in my life I have to get an increase in medication so that people won't see my head and hands shaking, which is embarrassing. I don't know how much medicine is too much and if this medication will always control my tremor. I am sure that one day my tremor will no longer be able to be controlled, because you can only take so much medication. That to me is scary.

Comment from: santi, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I"m 20 years old, I have problem with my hand. My hand is always shaky when I start working in the laboratory because I"m learning in college major chemistry education, it is so embarrassing but I don"t know what I have to do. I was prescribed fluoxetine 20 mg but nothing changed. I keep having same problem and the side effects of drugs gave me diarrhea, and I am increasingly tired, nauseated, and sweatier.

Comment from: Preshy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

My tremor started when I was 16 years old, pretty young. It has got worse over time and I was just diagnosed with benign essential tremor last year. I was already on Neurontin (gabapentin) for my severe anxiety (1200 mg a day). I was advised to take 300 mg more a day to control it. It didn"t seem to work. I"m so embarrassed and I"m a makeup artist and I really want this new job but I"m afraid my tremor will ruin my chances.

Comment from: andrewboy86, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 13

I am currently 27. When I was 18 I had gotten in a car accident, I had received a TBI (traumatic brain injury), since then I have had a very noticeable tremor on my right hand. The doctor called them "intentional tremors". It affects my ability to write, eat and any other tasks that require fine motor control. I tried going to a Parkinson's doctor and they started me on beta blockers to try and treat my condition, but that did not work. I did not go back to the specialist for this because I am too nervous to try other treatments. I am worried the side effects will be worse than dealing with the tremor.

Comment from: jill, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I have familiar essential tremors and I take 50 mg of B vitamins and it has cured my tremors. I was on a search for something natural and it repairs the nervous system which helps neurotransmitters to work more efficiently.

Comment from: onlyrusty45, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 16

l been having involuntary head shaking tremors, it hurts my neck and down to the third vertebra below my shoulders this has been going on for two years but has begun to get more noticeable and worse. A lot of people stare at me. It is very hard to do anything I even get cramps in my arms and hands and legs. I have epilepsy and diabetes type 2 and high blood pressure and sleep apnea on top of it, my mom was battling Parkinson's before she died of a heart attack.

Comment from: erwin, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 22

It started with tremors on the left hands then it progressed to my left leg and now it seems to affect my right leg and trunk as well. It started like a year ago but it only happened a few times but late July last year, I was experiencing tremors on my left leg on a daily basis. I went to the doctor who prescribed me with carbamazepine which seemed to work well, I still have tremors but it seemed to be more controlled. Although it worsens during times of stress, fatigue, too much excitement.

Tremor - Share Your Experience Question: Please share your experience with tremors.