Patient Comments: Tremor - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your tremor?

Comment from: ElyJt, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 23

I've been shaking as long as I can remember. I'm 57. I was diagnosed with essential tremors when I was 33. I was put on primidone. It worked for 15 years. Then it just stopped. Then I through propranolol, Inderal. Then I found alcohol. Guess how that worked out for me! So here we are 10 more years later. Shakes got out of control. I just tried topiramate. Didn't work. I just started gabapentin. Early results are looking good. It hasn't stopped the tremors, but starting to make them manageable.

Comment from: JeterfanNYyankees, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 01

I have been suffering from tremors since I was 6 years old. Recently, I started getting a lot of anxiety about it because my head and hands were shaking all the time. It caused me so much stress because I was embarrassed all the time and afraid to go out in public. However, I finally found a solution that doesn't involve taking medicine. Diet was my answer. I have been gluten free and dairy free for 3 months now. My shaking has decreased dramatically and my head/hands don't shake anymore. It sounds crazy but it is true. I am only 20 years old and have had many doctors tell me I had social anxiety and depression. They weren't wrong, but what had caused this anxiety and depression was my diet. I tell my story to people out there with depression issues and they agree that it has helped a great amount. I always see people on blogs and forums talking about how much medicine they have to take. I used to take propranolol and Wellbutrin XL but they weren't working. The reason why the medicine isn't working is because your body is constantly sending that 'fight or flight' response to your brain causing shakiness and that feeling of anxiety. Think about it, when you put something in your body that you are intolerant to, your body is going to react and try to tell you to stop. That is the reason for all this shakiness and anxiety. Just try it and see how you feel. Drinking a lot of water and cutting out artificial sugar also helps a lot as well.

Comment from: JJ, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

My head started shaking very slightly about a year ago. I underwent a lot of procedures and an operation, and thought that all the anesthesia depleted all my vitamins and minerals in my body. I have an excellent neurologist who found I have peripheral neuropathy, which causes tremors, leg weakness, body temperature drops, heart races and muscle twitches. It is debilitating. So far my only treatment is primidone (anti-seizure medicine). It's very important to check you vitamin levels. Many people are misdiagnosed. Ataxia due to a B-12 deficiency is also serious. So, please, don't give up. Do research on the web and keep on top of your doctors.

Comment from: Debbie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I started noticing my tremor when I went through a very stressful time with my mother in the 80s. The nurse where I am employed told me to go to the doctor for treatment. I was told it is hereditary, which it does run in my family. I take 100 mg of primidone and 40 mg of propranolol per day, which keeps it under control. It affects my hands, head, and speech. What scares me is the fact that every time I go through something very stressful in my life I have to get an increase in medication so that people won't see my head and hands shaking, which is embarrassing. I don't know how much medicine is too much and if this medication will always control my tremor. I am sure that one day my tremor will no longer be able to be controlled, because you can only take so much medication. That to me is scary.

Tremor - Share Your Experience Question: Please share your experience with tremors.