Patient Comments: Tremor - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your tremor?

Comment from: Marie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I began with a noticeable head tremor, but what was devastating to me was that I couldn't write well. My doctor prescribed 60 mg per day of propanolol. My head still moves noticeably but not radically. However, I can write legibly again, for which I am very grateful.

Comment from: stu, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 01

I have suffered from tremors since 2005, when I was traveling to visit my elderly father. His illness, kidney failure, living in Florida, and dealing with all the stresses along with that caused the onset of tremors. It's only in my head. My friend noticed during a conversation that my head was shaking, albeit, just a little. I went to a neurologist and was diagnosed with tremors. I've noticed that when I stare at something like a book case, or a window, really anything, and focus on it, I see it shake. I do take propranolol for it which helps. It does worsen during times of stress. I do my best to avoid that if possible.

Comment from: wildflower, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I was hospitalized for seven days recently with severe body tremors. I had MRIs, CT scans, and even a spinal tap, and no cause could be found. After the hospitalization, I went to my neurologist. Upon seeing my condition, he immediately told me to quit taking Mirapex, a drug that I had been taking for about 10 years for restless legs. Slowly but surely, I am now getting better. I'm still not out of the woods. Apparently, it takes a while to get the drug out of your body.

Comment from: Bob, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 11

I've had tremors since I was very young. My tremors are aggravated by trying to hold still. The only thing that has helped is low doses of Inderal. It doesn't affect my blood pressure but it reduces my tremors by at least 50%. Still looking for a natural cure.

Comment from: Nancy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

Gabapentin. I have spasmodic dysphonia and essential tremor and I'm so much better (not totally) since I'm taking Gabapentin.

Comment from: Kathy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

I am 58 years old. I knew something was not right in my early 20s. Presently, my head, jaw, both hands, and legs shake. I am barely able to get food or drink to my mouth, but have learned a number of little 'tricks' to help. I take 120 mg propranolol long-acting and 100 mg Primidone a day. I have deliberately held off increasing the medications until I am forced to, so I have some place to go. The meds all have side effects but are more tolerable than being disabled from the tremor. I am visiting a movement disorder center in later this year with hopes of new avenues of treatment. Do not be hesitant to tell people what is happening to you. You would not believe how many people are in the early stages and are unaware that it is a disease and are scared and do not know what to do. Share what you know with them.

Comment from: Eca_Jo, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 11

I have had tremors for as long as I can remember. I had kids asking me when I was in kindergarten, why I shake all the time. It has always been noticeable, but only recently (about a few years or so) has it really affected me. I cannot hold a pencil or a fork without dropping it, I have a hard time gripping things also. On occasion it has progressed to my legs and chin but mostly it is in my hands. Usually you can hear it in my voice, but sometimes you can't. I have good days when it isn't too bad, and I also have horrible days when I can't even write. I have seen 2 neurologists and the first told me that I could try to have a drink of alcohol when it's bad because some patients have reported that it has helped it. I was 15 at the time, so therefore I found it quite odd. The second one I saw prescribed me a beta blocker, what they use for high blood pressure. I started out at a small dose and worked my way up. I got half way to the highest dose and it was too much. I started having very vivid dreams, when I could sleep that is, but most of the time I couldn't sleep. I would lay in bed relaxed, but could not sleep. It also made me extremely dizzy and I felt like I could pass out at any second. I am now 18 and going to try one more doctor, but I just don't think there is anything that is going to help it. Hopefully it will go back to the way it was when I was in grade school, noticeable but not affecting my daily life. If any of you find something that works, please share. I am open to asking my doctor about trying things to help.

Tremor - Share Your Experience Question: Please share your experience with tremors.