Patient Comments: Tremor - Share Your Experience

Please share your experience with tremors.

Comment from: APB, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 10

I had the anguish of tremors for probably around 20 years. Not sure what brought it on, but the anxiety it caused was enormous and only made matters worse. After the doctors tried beta blocker, etc., I had the scans, and saw the specialist. It was called essential tremor. (Why so essential!) So I gave up and tried to live with it, eating/drinking/handling things away from people so they couldn't see (them seeing me shake made me shake even worse). I searched online about shakes/tremors and came about treatments for alcoholics just using vitamins and seeing as none of the doctor's pills worked, I bought a load and have been taking them every day for about 5 years. After about 3 years I noticed my tremors were gone! I don't know when it happened during those 3 years, but it happened. It was such a gradual thing, I didn't notice it happening! They do occur if I do a lot of manual work, but that is getting better too. They are the only pills I take, vitamin B strong and thiamine hydrochloride. Perhaps coincidence, I don't know, but the fact they give these to alcoholics for the same/similar symptoms is surely worth a try.

Comment from: kev, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 09

I started to get a slight tremor in my right arm 12 or 13 years ago. About 5 years ago it got so bad I couldn't use my hand to do anything, and being right handed I had to give up my job as bricklayer. Shortly after that my head started to shake. I was referred to a neurosurgeon who gave me injections in my arm and neck. My head stopped shaking afterwards for 3 or 4 months which is fantastic, but after 3 treatments to my arm there hasn't been any improvement to my arm. He told me it would take time to find the best place to administer the injections to my arm; here's hoping.

Comment from: Gail, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

My tremors started getting worse after back surgery. It's embarrassing, and at times l have difficulty walking. I also have jerking in my arms and back, and in my knees. I've been taking primidone. My tremors are worse when I'm tired.

Comment from: robin, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I have been suffering from tremors since 2003. At first I didn't know what they were. My whole body would shake and the only thing I did considering it might be my muscles, is take a bath. But not 1 bath, but 2 or 3 in the same night. I would run very hot water and sit in it about 20m minutes. I would hope that it would stop, but no sooner than I would get out of the bath and lie down, it would start again. I have had many long nights because of these things; especially in public and everyone looks at you like you have Tourette syndrome.

Comment from: Ra, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I started noticing my hands shaking 35 years ago. As time has passed I started to shake more. I have good days, but more bad then good. Recently my legs started to shake. When I bend at the waist I shake more. I can't enjoy a bowl of soup or cereal because of my tremors. I stopped having my nails done because I'm asked why I shake. I lost my job 2 months ago because I could not meet the emergency room patient registration monthly quota. My manager asked me why are you shaking, I told him that I wasn't sure why. He laughed at me and walked away. I worked for a clinic and at the time I was dismissed I asked if my termination was due to my shaking, she said that I should have been offered a position that wasn't as demanding. Of all places I thought a hospital would be understanding. I'm embarrassed and scared. I've been called names. I wish I knew what is causing this. I wish people were more understanding.

Comment from: oluwasola, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 09

My hands are shaking anytime I am making use of them to write or do anything. Even lf l try to use them with force it will be as if l carry heavy metal.

Comment from: Just fix me, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I'm in the fifty age group and my tremors go on all night long, I can't sleep. My tremors involve my shoulders, both legs, and arms. Then it feels tingly numb for a second or so. I do have severe back problems, I am wondering if these episodes could be connected.

Tremor - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your tremor?