Patient Comments: Tremor - Share Your Experience

Please share your experience with tremors.

Comment from: robin, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I have been suffering from tremors since 2003. At first I didn't know what they were. My whole body would shake and the only thing I did considering it might be my muscles, is take a bath. But not 1 bath, but 2 or 3 in the same night. I would run very hot water and sit in it about 20m minutes. I would hope that it would stop, but no sooner than I would get out of the bath and lie down, it would start again. I have had many long nights because of these things; especially in public and everyone looks at you like you have Tourette syndrome.

Comment from: Ra, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I started noticing my hands shaking 35 years ago. As time has passed I started to shake more. I have good days, but more bad then good. Recently my legs started to shake. When I bend at the waist I shake more. I can't enjoy a bowl of soup or cereal because of my tremors. I stopped having my nails done because I'm asked why I shake. I lost my job 2 months ago because I could not meet the emergency room patient registration monthly quota. My manager asked me why are you shaking, I told him that I wasn't sure why. He laughed at me and walked away. I worked for a clinic and at the time I was dismissed I asked if my termination was due to my shaking, she said that I should have been offered a position that wasn't as demanding. Of all places I thought a hospital would be understanding. I'm embarrassed and scared. I've been called names. I wish I knew what is causing this. I wish people were more understanding.

Comment from: Just fix me, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I'm in the fifty age group and my tremors go on all night long, I can't sleep. My tremors involve my shoulders, both legs, and arms. Then it feels tingly numb for a second or so. I do have severe back problems, I am wondering if these episodes could be connected.

Comment from: Sajed, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 26

I am unable to write because of my tremors. When I am walking I feel uneasy. Sometimes I cannot talk normally, sometimes when I'm talking I feel something block my throat. Sometimes my whole body is unnecessarily moving.

Comment from: Thea, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I am 36 years old and battling with shakes and tremors. Some days are worse than others, it gets so bad that I can't drink or eat because my head is shaking so badly. I have not seen a doctor about this yet. I have asthma and because I use my inhaler more than 3 times a day I thought it might be the cause of my shaking so much. I have been diagnosed with depression and I suffer with anxiety.

Comment from: oluwasola, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 09

My hands are shaking anytime I am making use of them to write or do anything. Even lf l try to use them with force it will be as if l carry heavy metal.

Comment from: she, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 05

I have been on propranolol 20 mg twice a day for 5 years. One of my doctors suggested I go on Topamax. I tried that 5 years ago, tremor is in my head and has kept me in hiding from many things, and I am on Xanax.

Comment from: cally, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

I was diagnosed five years ago with essential tremors, although I had lived with the tremors for 10 years before that. It started in my right arm, then my legs, and just recently, my head. I have stiffening of my joints and pain in my legs while resting. My doctor wants me to see a bone specialist; he thinks it's my spine. I work full time, and some people at work know, but I have asked them if they see my head or hands shaking to just ignore it. It was embarrassing for me when they made a fuss about it. I am scared of the unknown and not sure how long I will be able to keep working. But at the end of the day, I just pretend it's not there and get on with my life. But I am alone in this battle, and that scares me the most.

Tremor - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your tremor?