- What kind of drug is Herceptin (trastuzumab), and how does it work?
- What brand names are available for trastuzumab?
- Is trastuzumab available as a generic drug?
- Do I need a prescription for Herceptin (trastuzumab)?
- What are the uses for Herceptin (trastuzumab)?
- What are the side effects of Herceptin (trastuzumab)?
- What are the serious side effects of Herceptin (trastuzumab)?
- What is the dosage for Herceptin (trastuzumab)?
- Which drugs or supplements interact with Herceptin (trastuzumab)?
- Is Herceptin (trastuzumab) safe to use during pregnancy or while breastfeeding?
- What else should I know about Herceptin (trastuzumab)?
What kind of drug is Herceptin (trastuzumab), and how does it work?
- Herceptin is an intravenous drug that is part of a chemotherapy regimen that is used to prevent recurrence of breast cancer, and for the treatment breast cancer that has spread beyond the breast (metastasized).
- It belongs to a class of drugs called monoclonal antibodies. Other monoclonal antibodies include rituximab (Rituxan) and gemtuzumab ozogamicin (Mylotarg).
- A cancer cell has various receptors on its surface. Chemicals bind to these receptors and cause changes within the cancer cell. One of the receptors that occurs in about one-third of all breast cancers is called HER2. HER2 is known to control the growth and development of the cancer cells, and the production of new cancer cells. If HER2 receptors are present in large numbers on the cancer cells (often referred to as overexpression of HER2), then the cancer cells may multiply and grow quickly. Normally, the immune system produces antibodies that will detect and attack HER2 receptors to slow the growth of cancer cells; however, if HER2 is present in large numbers, the immune system may be unable to control HER2. Trastuzumab is a man-made antibody developed using molecular cloning and recombinant DNA technology. Trastuzumab is thought to block the HER2 receptors when there is overexpression, thereby blocking growth of the cancer.
What brand names are available for trastuzumab?
- Herceptin is the brand name available for trastuzumab in the US.
Quick GuidePancreatic Cancer Symptoms, Causes, and Treatment
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.