Patient Comments: TIPS Procedure - Complications

Please describe your experience with TIPS procedure complications.

Comment from: Hepatic Heather, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 01

My mom passed recently from nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH) stage 4 cirrhosis of the liver. When the hepatologist offered TIPS as a way to keep my mom around longer, she decided it was not for her. She already had congestive heart failure and hepatic encephalopathy. Having this procedure would cause both problems to worsen. I have NASH stage 4 cirrhosis of the liver. I have congestive heart failure and suffer from hepatic encephalopathy just like my mom. My hepatologist has made the decision for me in that the TIPS procedure would be "too problematic to consider TIPS placement." It does not make sense to me as a caregiver at one time and a patient since 2008 that TIPS should even be considered as it appears to be a "last ditch effort" by the doctors to keep you alive (until you pass or you are on a liver transplant list).

Comment from: Diana, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I was diagnosed with liver disease in 2010 and had severe gastrointestinal bleed. They placed a TIPS and I have MRIs and blood work every 6 months. My TIPS procedure has been a life saver, I have it checked regularly and I am still here. The specialist I see said I may need a new one in 8 years. But I hope that by then I will be doing good to have another TIPS, it can be a lifesaver.

TIPS Procedure - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with TIPS procedure.