Patient Comments: Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke) - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your TIA?

Comment from: Jay In Mpls, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 01

Yesterday I had my second transient ischemic attack (TIA). I"m now 48, my first TIA was 29 years ago at the age of 19, but symptoms were surprisingly the same. I wanted to say something to my wife and realized that I wasn"t able to speak anything but gibberish. I tried twice to say what I wanted, but wasn"t able to. It only lasted about 15 seconds, but when my speech came back, I realized I was about to drop the glass of water I was holding in my left hand. For over an hour I had no control of my left hand or fingers. Slowly, I regained control. The odd thing in my case is this: I have been on blood thinners for 38 years! I"ve been taking warfarin since my 2nd open heart surgery at the age of 10 in 1976! I should have no clot problems. That being said, I didn"t go the emergency room when this happened yesterday, I emailed my doc... I"ll keep you posted!

Comment from: SSB, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I experienced numbness down my left leg. I lay down for about 30 minutes, decided to get up and when I did I became numb and tingling from my left shoulder down my arm to my wrist. Also from under my left arm down my left side all the way down my leg to the ankle of my left foot. I could walk. And I could move my left arm and hand and fingers. I called 911, spent 2 nights in hospital for transient ischemic attack (TIA). I had been taking levofloxacin for 7 days for upper respiratory infection. I still have the numbness and tingling from my left shoulder to my elbow and under my arm down my left side to my knee. I am worried that it will not go away.

Comment from: octogenarian, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I believe I"ve had many TIAs since 2002 when I suffered a concussion after a fall. Only one of these events was diagnosed as a TIA, although in each event I had the same following symptoms: very high blood pressure, a numbness in the left hemisphere which moved toward my left nostril, to my upper lip, sometimes involving my left cheek down to my neck and upper left shoulder area. These symptoms lasted anywhere from one hour to as long as a day. Over the years two doctors, a neurologist and a cardiologist have opined that I have had several small strokes, but my present cardiologist is not convinced.

Comment from: Howards Wife, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 03

My husband had a TIA (transient ischemic attack) on the morning of February 24 as far as we can tell. He had very, very little in the way of symptoms. He had slight numbness in his lower lip, slight dizziness and some numbness in his hands. He thought maybe he was fighting a cold/flu a few days before. We took him to the emergency room. What was crazy is all of his tests (blood, sonogram of his carotid artery, CAT scans) were normal/good. He is a diabetic with a pacemaker. I"m just wondering what we can do to prevent him from having another episode, a stroke or worse. He will be starting some rehabilitation next week and doctors want to adjust his Coumadin levels. I guess what I"m trying to say is that unlike regular strokes, the TIA doesn"t always have a warning sign. I"m hoping that I can educate myself for my hubby"s health and then share that with others.

Comment from: MGW, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I woke up at 5 a.m., went to the bathroom, and the room started spinning, I couldn't balance or walk when I tried to get up. My husband got me back on bed and I became nauseous and dizziness persisted, so he called 911. CAT scan and MRI determined I had a TIA (transient ischemic attack) on lower back of cerebellum. I spent the night in hospital and was fine the next day. I am now on Plavix for life and atorvastatin for cholesterol. They told me it was a warning and I need to get daily exercise, watch diet for fats, salt etc. I've felt fine since, and found out a sister and brother have had TIAs in the past 10 years with no reoccurrence.

Comment from: Scared, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I don't know if I had a transient ischemic attack (TIA), but I have had a high-fever for which the emergency room couldn"t find a source. I"ve been on ibuprofen around the clock fort several days. Late last night, I was waking up, so I don"t know if this was a fluke or not, but I was scared. I woke up, wanted to talk, and my mouth wouldn"t open. My lips wouldn"t open for about ten seconds. I was screaming for my daughter with my lips closed until they were finally able to move and open, and I was able to actually yell her name. Everything has been fine since then. I am currently on levofloxacin prescribed by my doctor. I am also on prescriptions for anxiety. I have been very sedentary also.

Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke) - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of a TIA in you, a friend or relative?
Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke) - Diagnosis Question: Describe the tests and exams you or a relative experienced that led to a diagnosis of TIA.
Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke) - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment or medication did you receive for a TIA?
Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke) - Prognosis Question: Were TIAs a warning sign for a stroke experienced by a relative or friend? Please share your story.