Patient Comments: Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke) - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your TIA?

Comment from: Cath, Female (Patient) Published: August 20

Over the past two months I've experienced short episodes of numbness in hands. These episodes last from a few minutes up to 15 minutes or so. The first time I had numbness in hand, arm, shoulder, and mouth (episode was approximately half hour) I did not have any headache or visual disturbance. Scans and ultrasounds showed a small brain bleed (subarachnoid hemorrhage). I'm having these short TIA (transient ischemic attack) episodes a couple of times each week. Physician's advice was to go home and take it easy. I have also had short periods of confusion and light-headedness.

Comment from: cheryl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I think I might have had a stroke 5 years ago. All of a sudden I could not talk or answer the questions I was being asked. I believe I was not able to move either. I don't think it was a seizure because I wasn't moving around. The TIA (transient ischemic attack) lasted about 3 to 5 seconds; long enough to scare me. I just realized it could have been a stroke. I'm going to let my doctor know. I wonder if there's any way for the doctor to check and find what happened.

Comment from: johntynycoed, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 12

I felt very tired, went for a sit down and found my left leg felt like it was wearing a diver's boot. I stood up and found the leg would not move from the knee down. The TIA (transient ischemic attack) episode lasted 30 minutes or so. The following day I was prescribed aspirin 300 for a fortnight. Two days later my carotid arteries were scanned and found ok. I was prescribed pravastatin and clopidogrel.

Comment from: debbie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I was washing dishes on night around 10. I suddenly had a headache then I started feeling dizzy and my stomach was upset all of a sudden. I knew those were bad warning signs. I woke up in the hospital but all I could do was open my eyes. I could not move or speak at first then I started talking a little bit then stared to move around. Transient ischemic attack (TIA) scares me.

Comment from: Kim, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

My symptoms of transient ischemic attack (TIA) started with dizziness, inability to be able to figure out how to use the phone (to call 911). I got very hot and sweaty, my vision got blurry and I was only able to walk a brief amount when I collapsed in the floor. My speech was superfast yet I couldn't yell when I needed to. My heart rate was both super-fast and hard like it was about to explode. Within 30 minutes I was in the hospital yet lab test showed nothing. The fast heart rate continued not as bad but for a few more days then just stopped. Prior to this incident I have been having dizziness, headache in specific areas, and weakness as well as loss of ability to walk during some days.

Comment from: polly h., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

When I was pregnant with my daughter who is 31 now, I had trouble walking. I felt dizzy, had much confusion and didn't understand the words my husband was saying to me, and had a slight pain in side of my head. I laid down and it went off after a couple of hours. Next day I went to my doctor who gave me a check up and said I was all right. I now think I had a TIA (transient ischemic attack). Last night I woke up with a funny feeling down my right side and this morning my cheek and leg on right side are a bit numb. I have taken an aspirin this morning.

Comment from: Darkeyes339, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 16

My husband had a transient ischemic stroke on the 17th of May. We didn't realize anything wrong until 6 days later. We came back from Cabo on the 16th and the next morning he experienced sort of a tired fuzzy feeling. The same thing for the next 6 days off and on. He then was driving and all of a sudden had double vision. When he returned home he told me about it and we went to urgent care. They did a CT and discovered the small stroke on left side behind his ear. Since then his speech and cognition went downhill and he has tremor and weakness on his right side, mostly his right hand and arm. He also still has double disconnected vision. Doctor put him on Plavix and Xanax for anxiety. Has just started rehabilitation. He is 71 years old, strong and been active all his life and an avid woodworker. Hoping he is able to get back to doing that. He won't be a very happy camper, I'm afraid.

Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke) - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of a TIA in you, a friend or relative?
Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke) - Diagnosis Question: Describe the tests and exams you or a relative experienced that led to a diagnosis of TIA.
Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke) - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment or medication did you receive for a TIA?
Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke) - Prognosis Question: Were TIAs a warning sign for a stroke experienced by a relative or friend? Please share your story.