Patient Comments: Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke) - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your TIA?

Comment from: SSB, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I experienced numbness down my left leg. I lay down for about 30 minutes, decided to get up and when I did I became numb and tingling from my left shoulder down my arm to my wrist. Also from under my left arm down my left side all the way down my leg to the ankle of my left foot. I could walk. And I could move my left arm and hand and fingers. I called 911, spent 2 nights in hospital for transient ischemic attack (TIA). I had been taking levofloxacin for 7 days for upper respiratory infection. I still have the numbness and tingling from my left shoulder to my elbow and under my arm down my left side to my knee. I am worried that it will not go away.

Comment from: octogenarian, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I believe I"ve had many TIAs since 2002 when I suffered a concussion after a fall. Only one of these events was diagnosed as a TIA, although in each event I had the same following symptoms: very high blood pressure, a numbness in the left hemisphere which moved toward my left nostril, to my upper lip, sometimes involving my left cheek down to my neck and upper left shoulder area. These symptoms lasted anywhere from one hour to as long as a day. Over the years two doctors, a neurologist and a cardiologist have opined that I have had several small strokes, but my present cardiologist is not convinced.

Comment from: Howards Wife, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 03

My husband had a TIA (transient ischemic attack) on the morning of February 24 as far as we can tell. He had very, very little in the way of symptoms. He had slight numbness in his lower lip, slight dizziness and some numbness in his hands. He thought maybe he was fighting a cold/flu a few days before. We took him to the emergency room. What was crazy is all of his tests (blood, sonogram of his carotid artery, CAT scans) were normal/good. He is a diabetic with a pacemaker. I"m just wondering what we can do to prevent him from having another episode, a stroke or worse. He will be starting some rehabilitation next week and doctors want to adjust his Coumadin levels. I guess what I"m trying to say is that unlike regular strokes, the TIA doesn"t always have a warning sign. I"m hoping that I can educate myself for my hubby"s health and then share that with others.

Comment from: MGW, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I woke up at 5 a.m., went to the bathroom, and the room started spinning, I couldn't balance or walk when I tried to get up. My husband got me back on bed and I became nauseous and dizziness persisted, so he called 911. CAT scan and MRI determined I had a TIA (transient ischemic attack) on lower back of cerebellum. I spent the night in hospital and was fine the next day. I am now on Plavix for life and atorvastatin for cholesterol. They told me it was a warning and I need to get daily exercise, watch diet for fats, salt etc. I've felt fine since, and found out a sister and brother have had TIAs in the past 10 years with no reoccurrence.

Comment from: Nauseated, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

Had slight episode 2-1/2 months ago. Suddenly couldn't laugh, couldn't lift my chin from my chest, and stuttered rather than talked. I had a sudden, extremely bad pain toward the back of my knee. Husband gave me 81 mg. baby aspirin. Immediately recovered. Had a different episode last week of not being able to read; the entire line was moving out of place. Also stuttered again, but this time the episode lasted a little longer. Went to the ER this time. After MRI, CT scan & MRA (which is testing arteries in brain), they determined I have had TIA's of the right anterior cerebral artery. That's at the very base of the brain, in the back. It's very serious. Surgery won't help. Medication is, hopefully, going to do the trick. PLEASE, call 911 when something weird happens to you, even if it lasts a few seconds! Let the hospital determine if it's serious or not. I have been nauseated for about two years, but the past few months the nausea has gotten progressively worse. Still nauseated. God Bless Everyone.

Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke) - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of a TIA in you, a friend or relative?
Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke) - Diagnosis Question: Describe the tests and exams you or a relative experienced that led to a diagnosis of TIA.
Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke) - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment or medication did you receive for a TIA?
Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke) - Prognosis Question: Were TIAs a warning sign for a stroke experienced by a relative or friend? Please share your story.