Patient Comments: Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke) - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your TIA?

Comment from: slygirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I have had strep throat many times when I was younger, and here I am again with it! I went to the walk in clinic the night before and do not feel better, I am on a shot and a 10 day supply of penicillin. This will take at least 3 days to kick in and I start getting better. Good luck to all, take it easy. Rest and soda with crushed ice helps.

Comment from: Slayton, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 22

About 2 hours before the TIA (transient ischemic attack) happened my vision was kind of moving up and down even though I was staring straight ahead. I was driving and I couldn't figure out how to navigate a 4 way stop. My mom said there was something wrong with me and I tried to say I am fine, but 'slum nine' came out. I was able to stop the car and when I got out to let her drive I could barely stand. Luckily we were 2 blocks from the hospital. They had me in CT in 20 minutes. There was a small area with reduced flow. I got better in 45 minutes.

Comment from: kimpa, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 03

I woke up to blurred vision in both eyes, garbled speech, a slight pain in the back of my neck and feeling weak. After taking 2 aspirin the TIA (transient ischemic attack) symptoms disappeared in an hour's time.

Comment from: Wan, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

Especially in winter time keep upper part body warm and keep air temperature in room warm. Drink warm water, makes it easy to cough up the phlegm. I use Ventolin 2 puffs PRN.

Comment from: Cath, Female (Patient) Published: August 20

Over the past two months I've experienced short episodes of numbness in hands. These episodes last from a few minutes up to 15 minutes or so. The first time I had numbness in hand, arm, shoulder, and mouth (episode was approximately half hour) I did not have any headache or visual disturbance. Scans and ultrasounds showed a small brain bleed (subarachnoid hemorrhage). I'm having these short TIA (transient ischemic attack) episodes a couple of times each week. Physician's advice was to go home and take it easy. I have also had short periods of confusion and light-headedness.

Comment from: Monafaye, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 18

My broken jaw was the result of being in an abusive relationship. Immediately after being struck my bottom teeth were pushed upward, and bleeding.

Comment from: cheryl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I think I might have had a stroke 5 years ago. All of a sudden I could not talk or answer the questions I was being asked. I believe I was not able to move either. I don't think it was a seizure because I wasn't moving around. The TIA (transient ischemic attack) lasted about 3 to 5 seconds; long enough to scare me. I just realized it could have been a stroke. I'm going to let my doctor know. I wonder if there's any way for the doctor to check and find what happened.

Comment from: johntynycoed, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 12

I felt very tired, went for a sit down and found my left leg felt like it was wearing a diver's boot. I stood up and found the leg would not move from the knee down. The TIA (transient ischemic attack) episode lasted 30 minutes or so. The following day I was prescribed aspirin 300 for a fortnight. Two days later my carotid arteries were scanned and found ok. I was prescribed pravastatin and clopidogrel.

Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke) - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of a TIA in you, a friend or relative?
Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke) - Diagnosis Question: Describe the tests and exams you or a relative experienced that led to a diagnosis of TIA.
Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke) - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment or medication did you receive for a TIA?
Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke) - Prognosis Question: Were TIAs a warning sign for a stroke experienced by a relative or friend? Please share your story.