Patient Comments: Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke) - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your TIA?

Comment from: mommaof3, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 15

Mine started off with a migraine. I have had migraines for over 13 years, but this migraine was way worse than any other I had ever had and it felt "different". I informed my fiancé I needed to go to the hospital because something wasn't right. By the time we arrived, my speech was slurred and hard to get out, my right arm was barely functional, and my right foot was dragging as I tried to walk. He had to help me walk into the doors. I was extremely weak.

Comment from: sarita, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 31

Two month ago I awakened with slight speech difficulty, otherwise no headaches nor weakness. I sleep soundly without medication, no problem, but I have been treated for high cholesterol 240-230 with cholesterol medication.

Comment from: MammabearMintun, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I"ve been having transient ischemic attacks (TIA) for over 20 years continuously daily and without much help from doctors. I"ve been run through tons of tests until recently in January or February 2014 I was finally diagnosed with TIAs by my neurologist, who said he could see what I"ve been trying to explain to everyone for a long time. I"ve been on an aspirin regimen for years. No blood thinners required. Now I'm on cholesterol medications but my cholesterol wasn"t out of control. I have really good level in the good cholesterol so all doctors ignored the levels. I"ve been a diabetic for 34 years now and finally have a really good internal medicine physician.

Comment from: ken, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: August 20

I was lightheaded with tunnel vision, and occasional falling.

Comment from: jim, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 08

To all of you with TIA episodes, don't rule out neck problem. I had a TIA was in hospital for one week they found nothing. I told them everyday my neck was sore. I was released from hospital, had MRI on own dollar two days later neck surgery. My disc in neck was pushing on spinal cord.

Comment from: Lucky, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 03

TIA sometimes presents itself differently. My first clue was being transported to a hospital. I was battling prostatis that came with a killer UTI. I'd been given a dose of Cipro to address the UTI, which I took just before going to bed. My wife tells me I woke up just after midnight, and I recognized no one: kids, grandkids, not even my wife. They transported me to the hospital where they tested me for very little and of course found nothing. Then I started suffering whiteouts in my right eye, dizziness and nausea. If I sat down for 10-15 minutes, I was okay and could carry on. I told my primary MD about this, and he listened to my neck with his stethoscope when he heard bruits. Ultrasound suggested a R carotid arterial stenosis, a contrast study CT scan confirmed it the next day: 99% blockage. A carotid endarterectomy took care of the immediate problem. TIAs can present themselves in many ways. Don't accept "we don't know" from your hospital trip; make them listen for carotid bruits.

Comment from: Mr.D., Male Published: September 08

When I woke up I thought I had a stiff neck. As the day went on, it got worse. In the afternoon I had difficulty saying certain words. By evening the pain was worse - in my neck and back of head. In the evening I was slurring some words. The pain was so bad I needed assistance to move my head.

Comment from: Buntyp, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 23

My TIA symptoms were a sudden like loss of sight, left eye, but very short interval, then at the same time, a feeling of pins and needles along my entire left side from my left neck to the soles of my left foot. I am taking regularly the following medication: Candesar, Meprolol, Plavix. I intend to start taking Crestor, starting today.

Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke) - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of a TIA in you, a friend or relative?
Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke) - Diagnosis Question: Describe the tests and exams you or a relative experienced that led to a diagnosis of TIA.
Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke) - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment or medication did you receive for a TIA?
Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke) - Prognosis Question: Were TIAs a warning sign for a stroke experienced by a relative or friend? Please share your story.