Patient Comments: Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke) - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your TIA?

Comment from: David A, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 11

My eye or vision felt like it was 'flutering' for the lack of a better word. Within 30-60 seconds I lost 100% of the vision in my right eye. Hopefully one day there will be an operation that will allow a new retina to be transplanted. This loss of depth perception really sucks!

Comment from: Karen S, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I was at a meeting with my husband and was taking notes when I suddenly realized I could not write, my writing was like a first grader and I just put the pen and paper down and ignored it and by the time we left I was fine again. That was in about 1998 and I have not had another TIA to my knowledge, my blood pressure runs about 125/80 I am 68 yrs old and a 7 year breast cancer survivor. Stroke and heart attacks run in my family on my dad's side.

Comment from: Douglas, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 28

I experienced an episode on Thursday. 06/23/2011 where I felt numbness/ tingling on the right side of my face, around my mouth, lips and right side of my tongue. I went to local hospital emergency room. Two C.T scans were done-OK; ultrasound on my neck/carotid arteries-OK; E.K.G. taken-OK also. I experienced similar symptoms again today around the right side of my face and slight numbness/ tingling on my right hand ( thumb and forefinger. My blood pressure today was around 134/74. On Thurs. my blood pressure started out at 154/80, the up to 165/89, then down slightly. I have a prescription for high blood pressure medicine that I started to take today.Thanks.

Comment from: momof4, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I was at the pediatrician office with my daughter. I was at the nurses' station making a follow-up appointment when she asked me if mornings or afternoons were better. It sounded like gibberish to me. I could not understand her. I told her to give me a minute I stepped back and fainted. The nurse took my Bp it was 190/100 they immediately took me downstairs to urgent care. I was cold, clammy, shaking, disoriented and had a headache in the back of my head. I didn't even know I had high blood pressure I am a healthy 42 year old with about 30lbs to lose. I just thought I was having a "bad sinus day". I returned to my normal self after about 2 hours.

Comment from: pete, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 26

I experienced TIA few days ago. I lost motion, feeling in my left hand only. This hand became cold and lost touch where I could not lift a napkin. It happened when I was dining. I regained feeling and some strength in about two hours and almost back to normal in about six hours. EKG plus an EGO were performed and the warfarin dose was increased. I have a mechanical aortic valve.TIA took place when mi INR was 2.4. Plan is to increase it to 3 to 3.5.

Comment from: smith, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

Confusion slurred speech pins and needles in hands pins and needles in tongue and mouth. I am just starting to get migraines in back of head the last week don't know whether to go doctors for it. I had tia often over last 12 months.

Comment from: Tiger, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I was waiting in line at a bank, when I reached the teller I could not understand what she was saying it sounded like gibberish. This condition only lasted for a few moments however I had a droopy eye lid for quite a while, I did not seek medical attention. I do suffer with painful migraine headaches and have had Bell's Palsy in later years.

Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke) - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of a TIA in you, a friend or relative?
Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke) - Diagnosis Question: Describe the tests and exams you or a relative experienced that led to a diagnosis of TIA.
Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke) - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment or medication did you receive for a TIA?
Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke) - Prognosis Question: Were TIAs a warning sign for a stroke experienced by a relative or friend? Please share your story.