Patient Comments: Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke) - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your TIA?

Comment from: Howards Wife, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 03

My husband had a TIA (transient ischemic attack) on the morning of February 24 as far as we can tell. He had very, very little in the way of symptoms. He had slight numbness in his lower lip, slight dizziness and some numbness in his hands. He thought maybe he was fighting a cold/flu a few days before. We took him to the emergency room. What was crazy is all of his tests (blood, sonogram of his carotid artery, CAT scans) were normal/good. He is a diabetic with a pacemaker. I"m just wondering what we can do to prevent him from having another episode, a stroke or worse. He will be starting some rehabilitation next week and doctors want to adjust his Coumadin levels. I guess what I"m trying to say is that unlike regular strokes, the TIA doesn"t always have a warning sign. I"m hoping that I can educate myself for my hubby"s health and then share that with others.

Comment from: MGW, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I woke up at 5 a.m., went to the bathroom, and the room started spinning, I couldn't balance or walk when I tried to get up. My husband got me back on bed and I became nauseous and dizziness persisted, so he called 911. CAT scan and MRI determined I had a TIA (transient ischemic attack) on lower back of cerebellum. I spent the night in hospital and was fine the next day. I am now on Plavix for life and atorvastatin for cholesterol. They told me it was a warning and I need to get daily exercise, watch diet for fats, salt etc. I've felt fine since, and found out a sister and brother have had TIAs in the past 10 years with no reoccurrence.

Comment from: polly h., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

When I was pregnant with my daughter who is 31 now, I had trouble walking. I felt dizzy, had much confusion and didn't understand the words my husband was saying to me, and had a slight pain in side of my head. I laid down and it went off after a couple of hours. Next day I went to my doctor who gave me a check up and said I was all right. I now think I had a TIA (transient ischemic attack). Last night I woke up with a funny feeling down my right side and this morning my cheek and leg on right side are a bit numb. I have taken an aspirin this morning.

Comment from: buford, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 23

I had a problem this morning with vision loss and a bit of confusion, and I also was sore, mainly on the right arm from shooting the other day, but other parts of body also felt sore. Speech was a bit slurred also. Entire episode or TIA lasted about half hour, all went away but I was still tired for a few hours.

Comment from: NhDave, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 14

Back in 1992 I experienced a transient ischemic attack (TIA). Before the TIA I would get migraines some of which I brought on drinking, and high altitudes. I couldn't write or speak well when the TIA occurred. But ever since, I've never had another migraine and maybe got 2 or 3 headaches since 1992. Lucky I guess.

Comment from: Scared, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I don't know if I had a transient ischemic attack (TIA), but I have had a high-fever for which the emergency room couldn"t find a source. I"ve been on ibuprofen around the clock fort several days. Late last night, I was waking up, so I don"t know if this was a fluke or not, but I was scared. I woke up, wanted to talk, and my mouth wouldn"t open. My lips wouldn"t open for about ten seconds. I was screaming for my daughter with my lips closed until they were finally able to move and open, and I was able to actually yell her name. Everything has been fine since then. I am currently on levofloxacin prescribed by my doctor. I am also on prescriptions for anxiety. I have been very sedentary also.

Comment from: Nauseated, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

Had slight episode 2-1/2 months ago. Suddenly couldn't laugh, couldn't lift my chin from my chest, and stuttered rather than talked. I had a sudden, extremely bad pain toward the back of my knee. Husband gave me 81 mg. baby aspirin. Immediately recovered. Had a different episode last week of not being able to read; the entire line was moving out of place. Also stuttered again, but this time the episode lasted a little longer. Went to the ER this time. After MRI, CT scan & MRA (which is testing arteries in brain), they determined I have had TIA's of the right anterior cerebral artery. That's at the very base of the brain, in the back. It's very serious. Surgery won't help. Medication is, hopefully, going to do the trick. PLEASE, call 911 when something weird happens to you, even if it lasts a few seconds! Let the hospital determine if it's serious or not. I have been nauseated for about two years, but the past few months the nausea has gotten progressively worse. Still nauseated. God Bless Everyone.

Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke) - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of a TIA in you, a friend or relative?
Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke) - Diagnosis Question: Describe the tests and exams you or a relative experienced that led to a diagnosis of TIA.
Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke) - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment or medication did you receive for a TIA?
Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke) - Prognosis Question: Were TIAs a warning sign for a stroke experienced by a relative or friend? Please share your story.