Patient Comments: Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke) - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your TIA?

Comment from: ken, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: August 20

I was lightheaded with tunnel vision, and occasional falling.

Comment from: jim, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 08

To all of you with TIA episodes, don't rule out neck problem. I had a TIA was in hospital for one week they found nothing. I told them everyday my neck was sore. I was released from hospital, had MRI on own dollar two days later neck surgery. My disc in neck was pushing on spinal cord.

Comment from: Lucky, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 03

TIA sometimes presents itself differently. My first clue was being transported to a hospital. I was battling prostatis that came with a killer UTI. I'd been given a dose of Cipro to address the UTI, which I took just before going to bed. My wife tells me I woke up just after midnight, and I recognized no one: kids, grandkids, not even my wife. They transported me to the hospital where they tested me for very little and of course found nothing. Then I started suffering whiteouts in my right eye, dizziness and nausea. If I sat down for 10-15 minutes, I was okay and could carry on. I told my primary MD about this, and he listened to my neck with his stethoscope when he heard bruits. Ultrasound suggested a R carotid arterial stenosis, a contrast study CT scan confirmed it the next day: 99% blockage. A carotid endarterectomy took care of the immediate problem. TIAs can present themselves in many ways. Don't accept "we don't know" from your hospital trip; make them listen for carotid bruits.

Comment from: Mr.D., Male Published: September 08

When I woke up I thought I had a stiff neck. As the day went on, it got worse. In the afternoon I had difficulty saying certain words. By evening the pain was worse - in my neck and back of head. In the evening I was slurring some words. The pain was so bad I needed assistance to move my head.

Comment from: Buntyp, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 23

My TIA symptoms were a sudden like loss of sight, left eye, but very short interval, then at the same time, a feeling of pins and needles along my entire left side from my left neck to the soles of my left foot. I am taking regularly the following medication: Candesar, Meprolol, Plavix. I intend to start taking Crestor, starting today.

Comment from: real effect, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 19

At age 47, I was diagnosed with TIA after I experienced trouble in one eye with being able to move it from the center to the right. While I was waiting for a MRI to be performed (about eight hours after I first noticed the symptoms), the problem cleared up. I was put on a regular strength aspirin regimen, and after five years I have not noticed any other symptoms. My mother has had TIAs occurring for several years.

Comment from: Jennilee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I was taking a shower, and it was as if I had started dreaming. I became very confused and could not recall my address or the name of my cat. I knew I was born in July but did not know the day or year. I knew my husband's name and I told him something was wrong but I was not sure what it was. He says that when he was taking me to the hospital I kept telling him I was alright, but then would keep asking him where we were going. I stayed in a confused state for around 4 hours. They kept me in the hospital overnight.

Comment from: jazzlady, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I was in the grocery store and started getting extremely dizzy. Then I felt my legs give way so I sat down in the aisle before I could fall. Several people gathered around me and asked me if I was OK, but I had trouble speaking. My eyes began to move back and forth very quickly and I couldn't focus. I had no control over my arms and I couldn't keep them still. 911 was called. My symptoms were totally gone shortly after I arrived in the ER. I was totally alert during the whole episode and fearful of what was happening to me. That happened to me quite often during a period of about two years, except that the loss of speech only happened three times total. It has been about 5 years since I have had an episode.

Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke) - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of a TIA in you, a friend or relative?
Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke) - Diagnosis Question: Describe the tests and exams you or a relative experienced that led to a diagnosis of TIA.
Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke) - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment or medication did you receive for a TIA?
Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke) - Prognosis Question: Were TIAs a warning sign for a stroke experienced by a relative or friend? Please share your story.