Patient Comments: Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke) - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your TIA?

Comment from: ken, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: August 20

I was lightheaded with tunnel vision, and occasional falling.

Published: November 21

I normally experience dizziness sitting to standing but this time I was in the middle of a conversation with someone, trying to pay attention. I remember it got very hard to focus and all of a sudden I couldn't hear, and very quickly I think I blacked out. When I regained consciousness (after a brief second) or simply eyesight (not sure, it was weird) I was looking down and it felt like I was on acid. My arms needed to move, so I kept switching my phone and little appointment book around. Then I got emotional and jumpy. I tried to calm down before driving home, and I was ok for the most part but had to stop because I all of a sudden had to urinate quite badly and felt pain. I fuzzy in my head for the next day...it is a feeling of fogginess, and I couldn't focus on anything no matter how hard I tried, so I just stopped trying. Noises hurt and migraine if I don't drink a lot of water and take Aleve afterwards.

Comment from: jfortoday, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

On Sept 14, 2009 I awoke with a bad headache and weird taste in my mouth. I became increasingly tired throughout the day. At 5:30 a person spoke to me and my speech in return sounded slurred, like I was drunk. A friend immediately took me to the ER where things became worse. I couldn't walk, talk, lost feeling on the entire left side of my body and had no idea when my birthday is or who the President of the US was. They were timing me, I got a CT scan etc. At about the 2 hour and 45 min. mark things started to return. By 3 1/2 hours most all had returned to normal. I stayed in the hospital for lots of tests for four days. I had had a Ischemic Stroke. I had none of the "Markers", i.e. High blood pressure, diabetes, plaque in my arteries, etc. They found a "hole in the heart" (PVO). Three weeks later I had heart surgery to repair the hole. Now, two years later...I just had a TIA. Went straight to the ER. Some of the same symptoms but on a MUCH smaller and less intense scale. Plavix and aspirin for the rest of my life and tied to the hip with a Neurologist....no answers yet.

Comment from: Matilda, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I suffered a mini stroke (or TIA) about 4 months ago, when I suddenly couldn't get the words out I wanted to say. It lasted only about 10 to 15 minutes and I haven't suffered a recurrence. I am at present taking Clopadogrel, which was prescribed by a doctor I saw at the hospital, who is a specialist in this field. Hopefully, I may only have this one hiccup; it is important, I feel, to remain optimistic for the future, even though I am almost 79 years old.

Comment from: mommaof3, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 15

Mine started off with a migraine. I have had migraines for over 13 years, but this migraine was way worse than any other I had ever had and it felt "different". I informed my fiancé I needed to go to the hospital because something wasn't right. By the time we arrived, my speech was slurred and hard to get out, my right arm was barely functional, and my right foot was dragging as I tried to walk. He had to help me walk into the doors. I was extremely weak.

Comment from: jim, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 08

To all of you with TIA episodes, don't rule out neck problem. I had a TIA was in hospital for one week they found nothing. I told them everyday my neck was sore. I was released from hospital, had MRI on own dollar two days later neck surgery. My disc in neck was pushing on spinal cord.

Comment from: Lucky, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 03

TIA sometimes presents itself differently. My first clue was being transported to a hospital. I was battling prostatis that came with a killer UTI. I'd been given a dose of Cipro to address the UTI, which I took just before going to bed. My wife tells me I woke up just after midnight, and I recognized no one: kids, grandkids, not even my wife. They transported me to the hospital where they tested me for very little and of course found nothing. Then I started suffering whiteouts in my right eye, dizziness and nausea. If I sat down for 10-15 minutes, I was okay and could carry on. I told my primary MD about this, and he listened to my neck with his stethoscope when he heard bruits. Ultrasound suggested a R carotid arterial stenosis, a contrast study CT scan confirmed it the next day: 99% blockage. A carotid endarterectomy took care of the immediate problem. TIAs can present themselves in many ways. Don't accept "we don't know" from your hospital trip; make them listen for carotid bruits.

Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke) - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of a TIA in you, a friend or relative?
Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke) - Diagnosis Question: Describe the tests and exams you or a relative experienced that led to a diagnosis of TIA.
Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke) - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment or medication did you receive for a TIA?
Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke) - Prognosis Question: Were TIAs a warning sign for a stroke experienced by a relative or friend? Please share your story.