Patient Comments: Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke) - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your TIA?

Comment from: debbie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I was washing dishes on night around 10. I suddenly had a headache then I started feeling dizzy and my stomach was upset all of a sudden. I knew those were bad warning signs. I woke up in the hospital but all I could do was open my eyes. I could not move or speak at first then I started talking a little bit then stared to move around. Transient ischemic attack (TIA) scares me.

Comment from: Kim, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

My symptoms of transient ischemic attack (TIA) started with dizziness, inability to be able to figure out how to use the phone (to call 911). I got very hot and sweaty, my vision got blurry and I was only able to walk a brief amount when I collapsed in the floor. My speech was superfast yet I couldn't yell when I needed to. My heart rate was both super-fast and hard like it was about to explode. Within 30 minutes I was in the hospital yet lab test showed nothing. The fast heart rate continued not as bad but for a few more days then just stopped. Prior to this incident I have been having dizziness, headache in specific areas, and weakness as well as loss of ability to walk during some days.

Comment from: Darkeyes339, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 16

My husband had a transient ischemic stroke on the 17th of May. We didn't realize anything wrong until 6 days later. We came back from Cabo on the 16th and the next morning he experienced sort of a tired fuzzy feeling. The same thing for the next 6 days off and on. He then was driving and all of a sudden had double vision. When he returned home he told me about it and we went to urgent care. They did a CT and discovered the small stroke on left side behind his ear. Since then his speech and cognition went downhill and he has tremor and weakness on his right side, mostly his right hand and arm. He also still has double disconnected vision. Doctor put him on Plavix and Xanax for anxiety. Has just started rehabilitation. He is 71 years old, strong and been active all his life and an avid woodworker. Hoping he is able to get back to doing that. He won't be a very happy camper, I'm afraid.

Comment from: Jay In Mpls, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 01

Yesterday I had my second transient ischemic attack (TIA). I"m now 48, my first TIA was 29 years ago at the age of 19, but symptoms were surprisingly the same. I wanted to say something to my wife and realized that I wasn"t able to speak anything but gibberish. I tried twice to say what I wanted, but wasn"t able to. It only lasted about 15 seconds, but when my speech came back, I realized I was about to drop the glass of water I was holding in my left hand. For over an hour I had no control of my left hand or fingers. Slowly, I regained control. The odd thing in my case is this: I have been on blood thinners for 38 years! I"ve been taking warfarin since my 2nd open heart surgery at the age of 10 in 1976! I should have no clot problems. That being said, I didn"t go the emergency room when this happened yesterday, I emailed my doc... I"ll keep you posted!

Comment from: SSB, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I experienced numbness down my left leg. I lay down for about 30 minutes, decided to get up and when I did I became numb and tingling from my left shoulder down my arm to my wrist. Also from under my left arm down my left side all the way down my leg to the ankle of my left foot. I could walk. And I could move my left arm and hand and fingers. I called 911, spent 2 nights in hospital for transient ischemic attack (TIA). I had been taking levofloxacin for 7 days for upper respiratory infection. I still have the numbness and tingling from my left shoulder to my elbow and under my arm down my left side to my knee. I am worried that it will not go away.

Comment from: octogenarian, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I believe I"ve had many TIAs since 2002 when I suffered a concussion after a fall. Only one of these events was diagnosed as a TIA, although in each event I had the same following symptoms: very high blood pressure, a numbness in the left hemisphere which moved toward my left nostril, to my upper lip, sometimes involving my left cheek down to my neck and upper left shoulder area. These symptoms lasted anywhere from one hour to as long as a day. Over the years two doctors, a neurologist and a cardiologist have opined that I have had several small strokes, but my present cardiologist is not convinced.

Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke) - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of a TIA in you, a friend or relative?
Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke) - Diagnosis Question: Describe the tests and exams you or a relative experienced that led to a diagnosis of TIA.
Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke) - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment or medication did you receive for a TIA?
Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke) - Prognosis Question: Were TIAs a warning sign for a stroke experienced by a relative or friend? Please share your story.