Patient Comments: Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke) - Causes

If known, what was the cause of a TIA in you, a friend or relative?

Comment from: Pat_n_Tex, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I have had at least 3 transient ischemic attacks (TIAs) in last 3 years, each time lasting longer than the previous one. I have no risk factors, my blood pressure (BP) is normally around 110/64, lipids are great, I weigh 160 at 5 ft. 7 in., and have very good fasting blood sugar. I'm a post liver transplant patient of almost 10 years, on Neoral, Myfortic, thyroid, and 5 mg Ambien. I started taking 81 mg aspirin QD after second TIA, for which symptoms were fractalized vision peripherally, couldn't recognize speech on TV news, and couldn't read. It lasted around 20 minutes and I went to the emergency room (ER). CT scan was normal so I was told nothing was wrong, to go home. I saw a neurologist next week and MRI was ordered, which showed evidence of ischemic attacks, several, as well as a small tumor on pituitary. Latest attack came 2.5 years later, with 90% loss of vision in one eye while jogging. Everything in that eye became very dark with just a crack of light at extreme lower vision field. At ER, BP was slightly high for me, at 138/78, but within normal limits. I won't take Plavix but am continuing aspirin and am going to start nattokinase soon. I haven't been able to get MRI report of last ER visit but on progress notes of what I could obtain, it reported MRI/MRA 'unremarkable'. It could be a case of some radiologists being more skilled than others.

Comment from: Brittney, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

I started having bad headaches which lasted about 3 weeks and then I had a sudden seizure. Emergency room (ER) found no cause and put me on seizure medications and sent me home. A week later I had another seizure. ER found no cause and sent me home. With each seizure I was dizzy, vision blurred, and was nauseated. But a few days after that I was getting ready for bed and my left eye suddenly went black. No numbness or anything like that, just went dark and I felt confused. But it came back after a few minutes. I went to bed and the next morning had another seizure. I went to the ER and they did an MRI and found I was having transient ischemic attacks (TIAs) due to a blood disorder that causes thick blood. I was given blood thinners and a higher dose of seizure medicines. This was all in the last 3 weeks. I'm 26 and have ulcerative colitis but otherwise in descent health. I have to lose weight but who doesn't, and now today I am having extreme pain in my shoulder if I use my arm in any way.

Comment from: Orthodox Mom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

My transient ischemic attacks (TIAs) were caused by a hole in my heart. I had approximately 11 cerebellar TIAs over the course of 1 hour. An MRI showed that I also had evidence of 2 older TIAs in my brain. I meet none of the criteria for stroke. I am not overweight, diabetic or hypertensive, and I exercise regularly. A bubble study of my heart revealed an atrial septal defect (ASD) which allowed small clots to pass through the chambers of the heart and travel to my brain - thus causing the strokes. After a transcatheter procedure to close the hole, I am doing well. No further TIAs.

Comment from: soccermom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I fell and hit my head on the ice in December. I had a concussion from that. I started having blurred vision, numbness in my face and left arm, and passed out in February. I had a couple of more occurrences, but have not passed out again. I finally went to the doctor and they have diagnosed it as transient ischemic attack (TIA). I wonder if that could be from the concussion.

Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke) - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your TIA?
Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke) - Diagnosis Question: Describe the tests and exams you or a relative experienced that led to a diagnosis of TIA.
Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke) - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment or medication did you receive for a TIA?
Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke) - Prognosis Question: Were TIAs a warning sign for a stroke experienced by a relative or friend? Please share your story.