Patient Comments: Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke) - Causes

If known, what was the cause of a TIA in you, a friend or relative?

Comment from: Orthodox Mom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

My transient ischemic attacks (TIAs) were caused by a hole in my heart. I had approximately 11 cerebellar TIAs over the course of 1 hour. An MRI showed that I also had evidence of 2 older TIAs in my brain. I meet none of the criteria for stroke. I am not overweight, diabetic or hypertensive, and I exercise regularly. A bubble study of my heart revealed an atrial septal defect (ASD) which allowed small clots to pass through the chambers of the heart and travel to my brain - thus causing the strokes. After a transcatheter procedure to close the hole, I am doing well. No further TIAs.

Comment from: soccermom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I fell and hit my head on the ice in December. I had a concussion from that. I started having blurred vision, numbness in my face and left arm, and passed out in February. I had a couple of more occurrences, but have not passed out again. I finally went to the doctor and they have diagnosed it as transient ischemic attack (TIA). I wonder if that could be from the concussion.

Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke) - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your TIA?
Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke) - Diagnosis Question: Describe the tests and exams you or a relative experienced that led to a diagnosis of TIA.
Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke) - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment or medication did you receive for a TIA?
Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA, Mini-Stroke) - Prognosis Question: Were TIAs a warning sign for a stroke experienced by a relative or friend? Please share your story.