- Eye Diseases Pictures Slideshow
- Pink Eye Slideshow Pictures
- Eyes and Eye Conditions Quiz
- Patient Comments: Trachoma - Experience
- Patient Comments: Trachoma - Complications
- Find a local Doctor in your town
- Trachoma facts
- What is trachoma? Is trachoma contagious?
- How does trachoma manifest itself?
- What is the cause of trachoma?
- What are trachoma symptoms and signs?
- How is trachoma diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for trachoma?
- How long does trachoma last?
- Can trachoma be prevented?
- What is the prognosis for trachoma?
- What are complications of trachoma?
- What research is being done on trachoma?
What research is being done on trachoma?
Since the cause is well understood and treatment is effective, research is concentrating on methodology to deliver the treatment efficiently to endemic areas of the world.
Medically reviewed by William Baer, MD; Board Certified Ophthalmology
Bailey, R.L., P. Arullendran, H.C. Whittle, and D.C. Mabey. "Randomised Controlled Trial of Single-Dose Azithromycin in Treatment of Trachoma." Lancet 342.8869 Aug. 21, 1993: 453-456.
International Trachoma Initiative. <http://www.trachoma.org>.
Solomon, A.W., R.W. Peeling, A. Foster, and D.C.W. Mabey. "Diagnosis and Assessment of Trachoma." Clin Microbiol Rev. 17.4 Oct. 2004: 982-1011.