Patient Comments: Tracheostomy - Procedure

Describe your tracheostomy procedure, including any complications.

Comment from: annietcol1958, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I had bulbar polio in 1958 and had to have a tracheostomy. It saved my life and I have had many happy years since then. I have noticed a pattern in recent years; I seem to have upper respiratory infections with increasing frequency - 3 in the last year. I seem to have constant phlegm in my throat (just at the level with my tracheostomy scar). I wonder if there is any reason for these infections that might have anything to do with scarring in the trachea.

Comment from: dontknow, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 27

February 2014 will be 1 year anniversary since my tracheostomy, I never wanted it and I tried to prolong my stay in the hospital thinking I would have an alternate option; that never happened! I have amyloidosis AL in vocal cords and if radiation is used to treat amyloid it might kill my voice for good. I don't want to be mute, I cried before the surgery because I have bad asthma with mucus constantly plus you have to be very hygienic the first month or so and have to watch what you eat because there's a tube in the throat which sometimes blocks food.

Comment from: kathyjo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

Due to collapse of my trachea after removal of a large thyroid goiter a tracheostomy was performed. At that time the vocal fold nerve was severed. I now have a permanent tracheostomy. The edges have been opened muscles and soft tissue removed so that the stoma stays open without a tube.

Tracheostomy - Share Your Experience Question: Did you or someone you know have a tracheostomy? Please discuss your experience.