Patient Comments: Tracheostomy - Share Your Experience

Did you or someone you know have a tracheostomy? Please discuss your experience.

Comment from: Jabba, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I had a tracheostomy in March last year. After having a fall and breaking an arm, l was sent to hospital, and later sent home (at night and in the cold, and in my seventies). Nothing was done to my arm and l was given Endone for the pain (l don't remember this, my husband told me). This caused me to have an episode, in which l apparently died, was revived by ambulance people and rushed to hospital, where they performed the tracheostomy. It has changed my life, l am just lucky l have a husband who has taken on the job of caring for me.

Comment from: Gary, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 01

My husband has a tracheostomy. I have to take care of it for him, clean, etc. It has a terrible smell and also digs into his neck bone.

Comment from: Eileen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I have a tracheostomy due to paralyzed vocal cords. It will be 2 years in October that I had it put in. Surgery is out as it will do more damage and I will lose my voice. I have seen 4 different doctors and I know I will have this the rest of my life. I need help. I'm struggling to deal with this. Trying different tubes, eating, drinking, and using a speaking valve as opposed to my finger. I have questions and no one to talk to about them. I am looking for a support group.

Comment from: Worried Mom, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 18

My son is scheduled for a tracheostomy this eveninghis third one. He went into ICU 12 days ago for what was diagnosed as a misplaced feeding tube and another aspiration pneumonia. They tried to extubate him on the weekend when he went into respiratory distress, and this evening, the surgeon will insert a tracheostomy. Although this won't prevent future aspiration pneumonias, the medical staff involved in his care will be able to keep him on the respirator and, we (his parents) will have to relearn how to care for the tracheostomy.

Tracheostomy - Procedure Question: Describe your tracheostomy procedure, including any complications.