Patient Comments: Tourette Syndrome - Treatments

Question:How is your Tourette syndrome treated?

Comment from: 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 22

My son is not managed well at all and I get verbally abused by him daily. He has been on so many different medicines since 6 years old. Nothing has worked. His twin has a very mild case of Tourette's and their nephew has just been diagnosed. We need help. I just spent hours in the emergency room, my son is found to be allergic to Haldol.

Comment from: Didi, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 18

My son is 14 years old. His Tourette syndrome started with minor tics at age 10; they went away and are back now. Now it seems that his tics are getting more noticeable and he says it hurts at times. The doctor told me he is going to be fine and to keep him active. My son plays soccer and basketball. I really think there is medication that can be given to him.

Comment from: nanjemoymd2, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 17

My 9 year old son started taking Tenex a few months ago. Both his motor and vocal tics have calmed down a lot and it does seem to still somewhat control his ADHD even though that is not what the medications main purpose is for. Right now he is only taking 1 mg in the morning and 1mg at night but we are about to have his dose titrated again. Praying to stay side effect free!

Comment from: Curious, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

Over the past couple of years I have had weird things happen to my body that I can't control. Right now, I do a weird thing with my eyes that I can't control and feel the need to do other things with my face and neck. It eventually goes away after a few months. Then I do other things, like suck in my stomach. I want to stop myself from doing these things but I can't. When I was younger, I had a huge fear of germs, but it has lessened over the years, I am now 14 and not as afraid of germs, but still do the things I mentioned earlier. I watched a YouTube video today of someone I regularly watch and he explained he has Tourette's. It's made me start think that maybe I have it too. I'm wondering if the symptoms I described sound like Tourette syndrome and if I should I tell my Mum.

Comment from: CAW1964, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 07

To treat my Tourette syndrome, I take 3 mg Clonazapam in the morning and 2 mg of Clonazapan in the evening.

Comment from: shamus, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 16

I take Adderall 20mg po 4 times a day. It is not prescribed for my Tourettes however it helps a lot.