Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes

What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?

Comment from: Shirley, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 16

While I was taking chemotherapy for breast cancer, I awakened one morning with severe swelling in my right leg. I called my oncologist and he ordered a Doppler and a CT scan. Both tests showed many blood clots. I was prescribed Xarelto for deep vein thrombosis and told to go home and elevate my leg and wrap it in hot, wet towels. I was referred to a vascular surgeon who performed a venogram. The surgeon told me that I had a totally blocked inferior vena cava, and there was nothing he could do for me. That was 3 months ago, and my leg is still swollen, sore, itchy, red, etc. I am very disheartened that I may have to live the rest of my life in this condition. I have a problem believing that nothing can be done to alleviate my condition. I hope to get another opinion.

Comment from: Vani, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 23

I tore my hamstrings (back of my left thigh and butt) 2 weeks ago while splitting. I don't feel any pain while walking, running or dancing hard, I don't notice any bruise nor swelling either. Pain only bothers me when I stretch my leg. It is pretty frustrating for me since I have to stretch to get flexibility but clearly I cannot at the moment. I do RICE protocol but I haven't felt any better. I hope my hamstring would be healed soon.

Comment from: russ, 55-64 Female Published: January 27

I was having a 100 meter sprint with grandson, 10 years old, I am 63 and haven't tried sprinting in years. Needless to say I got about 10 meters before injuring my hamstring and thought somebody shot me in the backside. I went down in a screaming heap.

Comment from: BobK, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 20

Wear and tear that has eliminated cartilage and spawned arthritis was the reason for my total knee replacement.

Comment from: Snoodle, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I wish I knew why both of my knees were bone on bone so I had to have total knee replacement. I am not particularly overweight. I do not run or abuse my legs.

Comment from: Jane grey, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

I had knee replacement in March 2015 and did just great. However in December while swimming, I did the split kick not knowing it was a no-no. I felt something at the time but did not know what exactly and kept going. Now it feels like something has moved. Stitches have moved to right on outside of knee. I have a very heavy feeling and pain after walking short distances. Horrible.

Comment from: Daveygee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 22

I woke up 24 hours ago with nausea, dizziness and bad headache. I walked around a few minutes and then began throwing up. I would feel better after throwing up (severe, projectile), go back to bed and within 30 to 45 minutes it would start again. I had one episode of diarrhea. I went to the emergency room and was put on an IV and given anti-nausea medicine which helped my gastroenteritis immensely. I have never had an episode like this and the nausea was unbearable. I was sent home a few hours later with anti-diarrheal and anti- nausea medicine. Twenty four hours later I am still very tired but after drinking a fresh tender coconut I am feeling much better.

Total Knee Replacement - Experience Question: Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.