Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes

What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?

Comment from: DawnB, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I'm 31 and about 7 or 8 weeks ago I started having back pain. Then it moved into my front lower pelvic area and then once again moved this time into my right hip so bad I couldn't lift my leg without horrible pain and had trouble sleeping. Then the pain started to spread into my leg. Very tight and crampy! In addition to the pain I had major bloating, the appearance of 6 or 7 months pregnancy, fatigue, hot flashes, and random headaches. After putting up with this for 5 weeks I finally caved in and went to urgent care. She did a full pelvic exam, Pap and urine test (negative). She could feel that something was going on with my right ovary. So she sent me for an ultra sound. The ultra sound showed something on my right ovary, two different technicians thought it was a 6 week old fetus! But I had a negative pregnancy test last week. Thirty minutes after my appointment my obstetrician/gynecologist called me and told me to rush to the emergency room right away for emergency surgery! After 7 hours in the waiting room they call me back and tell me the blood pregnancy test was also negative. So it must just me a hemorrhagic corpus luteum cyst. No surgery go home and call your obstetrician/gynecologist first thing in the morning for a follow up. She doesn't want to see me for 2 weeks! Eight weeks later I'm still exhausted and my leg (buttocks and hip) cramps are debilitating at times. And my hormones are out of control (I cried for 10 hours after the nurse made me feel crazy for trying to get an earlier appointment)! I have a hard time buying their diagnosis. But I haven't even got to talk to anyone about why or what this is and when or how I will feel better. Everyone said to talk to my obstetrician/gynecologist and she is seriously making me wait two weeks! So I had to self-diagnose by googling!

Comment from: ckhypokgirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I went to the emergency room with a headache on the left side of my head. I told the doctor that my blood thinner levels had been unstable for the last month and I was extremely hyperthyroid, but my medicines had been adjusted. They did blood tests and an MRI. My MRI was clear, I was still hyperthyroid and I had low potassium, 3.0. They started me on potassium chloride and after 1 week the headache went away. After 2 months, I take a lower dose, but I'm not doing so well right now, I think my potassium is dropping again.

Comment from: golfdog, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 30

I have osteoarthritis in my right knee. I had it replaced in 2011 and in 2 years it came loose. I had a revision in 2013. In less than I year it too came loose. In 2014 I had another revision with different kind of knee with cone that allows the bone to grow into it. So far so good. I can't work anymore, too much bone loss and I am running out of options.

Comment from: Neveragain, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I had total knee replacement (TKR) due to arthritis beneath my kneecap. I can bend at 110, but I still have tenderness and numbness around knee area. My concern is the ankle pain and tenderness around my lower leg/ankle. I experience constant throbbing, sort of like a dull continuous ache. At this point I regret having had TKR. There are instances when I take half of a pain pill. Everyone says it will get better.

Comment from: Bitsy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I had total knee replacement done 11 years ago due to an injury, now I'm having trouble again. I'm 72.

Comment from: Iqbal75, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 22

I am 40 year old, having osteoarthritis in both knees which shows in x-ray. But both my hip joints are hurting, both shoulders, I have back pain as well. I am very much depressed at the moment, don't know what to do.

Total Knee Replacement - Experience Question: Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.