Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes

What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?

Comment from: Bone on bone, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I had my total knee replacement on April 19th due to being bone on bone from arthritis and a torn lateral meniscus. I am 10 weeks out from surgery and still have unpredictable pain. My surgery scar is sore and sensitive and often pains out of the clear blue sky. My leg is still not fully straight and it feels stiff and stuck in the position it is in (2 to 5 percent from straight). The physiotherapist says that I have massive muscle tension in the muscles above my knee and behind my knee and every effort seems to be to release those knots so that I can straighten my leg. The massages and ultrasound treatments feel good while they are being done, but afterwards my leg/knee goes right back to feeling stiff and heavy. I cannot walk very far without getting extremely tired and developing back and hip pain. I felt like I had no choice but to consent to the surgery, but I'm having a really hard time and my quality of life has not improved.

Comment from: kavita, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

My friend met with a road accident in which his leg muscles ruptured and doctors suggested rod insertion in leg. When they operated the same day his hemoglobin which was 10.4 reduced to 6 and then 3 due to internal bleeding which led to brain stroke. Artificial pumping and ventilation has made him alive but after 27 days he is still on ventilation, not passing urine and has blood loss. Every alternate day the doctors are giving 1 or 2 units of blood which raises his hemoglobin to 9.4 but it reduces to 7.4 in 2 days. This is the scene from last 27 days. By CT scan they found that a very small hole was left during the operation of the leg.

Comment from: loulou, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I had a total knee replacement 3 months ago due to arthritis. I'm still in pain. Some days aren't too bad but at times, even now, is unbearable. I was in hospital for 3 1/2 days. After 2 weeks I was referred to the physiotherapy (PT). First appointment was about measurements and general wellbeing. Four weeks in, I was referred to the hydrotherapy PT for 6 weeks. During this time I was in constant pain. Both my doctor and the physiotherapist told me to use ice packs and massage my leg and knee. I exercise and walk a lot but my knee swells up. I don't know what to do. The medical staff tells me I'm doing well and to give it time. Pain killers don't really help anymore.

Comment from: Shirley, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 16

While I was taking chemotherapy for breast cancer, I awakened one morning with severe swelling in my right leg. I called my oncologist and he ordered a Doppler and a CT scan. Both tests showed many blood clots. I was prescribed Xarelto for deep vein thrombosis and told to go home and elevate my leg and wrap it in hot, wet towels. I was referred to a vascular surgeon who performed a venogram. The surgeon told me that I had a totally blocked inferior vena cava, and there was nothing he could do for me. That was 3 months ago, and my leg is still swollen, sore, itchy, red, etc. I am very disheartened that I may have to live the rest of my life in this condition. I have a problem believing that nothing can be done to alleviate my condition. I hope to get another opinion.

Comment from: Vani, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 23

I tore my hamstrings (back of my left thigh and butt) 2 weeks ago while splitting. I don't feel any pain while walking, running or dancing hard, I don't notice any bruise nor swelling either. Pain only bothers me when I stretch my leg. It is pretty frustrating for me since I have to stretch to get flexibility but clearly I cannot at the moment. I do RICE protocol but I haven't felt any better. I hope my hamstring would be healed soon.

Total Knee Replacement - Experience Question: Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.