Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes

What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?

Comment from: Jerry, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 06

I have had both knees replaced this year, left one in March 2013, the other in August 2013. I was a caregiver for my wife for the ten years prior and could not risk the surgery so I waited. My wife passed away in November 2012, so I went ahead with the surgery. My left knee was bone on bone and was already starting to shift over to the side. Surgery was on Tuesday morning, I was home on Friday, therapy at home for three weeks, rehab for three and everything is great. Second knee was replaced in August, I was in surgery on Tuesday and home Thursday morning. I had therapy at home for three weeks and rehab for the next three weeks. Everything is great! I have almost no pain, maybe once a week a bit of stiffness or soreness. I am 69 and have gotten rid of my limp, I feel great.

Comment from: Ghris, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I am considering knee replacement surgery. I feel that I have no choice. I have had several series of injections in my left knee. The orthopedic surgeon mentioned to me a few years ago that I needed knee surgery and it was available when I was ready. At that time, I refused. Now I am more than ready. Every time that I go out, I have to hold tight to my husband's arm. I have fallen several times. The knee gives away when I least expect it. So, when I see the doctor next week, hopefully he will get me scheduled for the knee surgery. I can't wait to be able to walk again without depending on my husband to lead me around; and for the most part be pain free.

Comment from: Rick, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

I had my second scope surgery on my right knee 5 years ago. My knee was worse than before, so I decided to go with the TKR (total knee replacement). Prior to TKR, I had cortisone shots, which did help temporarily. I also had 4 Hyalgan shots and they did not work. My only option now was TKR and decided on a doctor that uses a procedure called, minimal invasive surgery or MIS. In this procedure, the muscles are not cut during surgery, hence a quicker recovery. I had my surgery last week and after 7 days, it does get better and better as far as pain.

Comment from: Rita, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

I had a total knee replacement two months ago in my left knee. I've suffered with both knees for the past three years and was diagnosed with osteoarthritis and torn meniscus. I'm female and 57 years old. Prior to the knee replacement I had arthroscopic surgery on both knees to repair torn meniscus and to try to clean up the arthritis. I had numerous cortisone shots and at one point had a series of injections for 5 weeks in a row. My knees just continually got worse and I was losing my quality of life along with it. I could no longer walk a grocery store to buy groceries among many other simple things that I had always taken for granted. It's been two months since my TKR and although it's still pretty sore I can tell a world of difference in it. If my right knee wasn't hurting so bad I would be one happy person for sure. I am still using a cane but I think it's mainly because of the right knee and my doctor doesn't want me to take a chance of falling. Next month I'll be having the right knee done. My doctor thinks I may only need a partial knee replacement in the right knee since it doesn't seem as bad as what the left was but I won't know for sure until the end of this month when he does some more x-rays. I am looking so forward to walking normal again.

Comment from: Joe, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 08

I needed total knee replacement because of fluid in the knee. It is 9 weeks post operation.

Comment from: Jean, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

After 5 years of injections and a lot of pain, the doctor did an MRI. Now he wants me to have a total knee replacement. I hear the recovery time takes a while and it's a very painful recovery. However, after years of limping and pain I will be glad to live normally again; with no cane or walker. I find out Monday when the surgery will be scheduled.

Total Knee Replacement - Experience Question: Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.