Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes

What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?

Comment from: golfdog, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 30

I have osteoarthritis in my right knee. I had it replaced in 2011 and in 2 years it came loose. I had a revision in 2013. In less than I year it too came loose. In 2014 I had another revision with different kind of knee with cone that allows the bone to grow into it. So far so good. I can't work anymore, too much bone loss and I am running out of options.

Comment from: Neveragain, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I had total knee replacement (TKR) due to arthritis beneath my kneecap. I can bend at 110, but I still have tenderness and numbness around knee area. My concern is the ankle pain and tenderness around my lower leg/ankle. I experience constant throbbing, sort of like a dull continuous ache. At this point I regret having had TKR. There are instances when I take half of a pain pill. Everyone says it will get better.

Comment from: Bitsy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I had total knee replacement done 11 years ago due to an injury, now I'm having trouble again. I'm 72.

Comment from: agadoresmama, Female (Patient) Published: February 27

I foster dogs, usually pit bulls. Back in 2009 I was fostering a black Labrador for a guy who was deployed to Afghanistan. I had her about 3 months when she ran zooming in my yard, came at me full force and hit my knee causing it to bend sideways and backwards. It has been stiff ever since. For the last two years I have been unable to straighten it. Doctor says its arthritis from the injury. I really don't want to go through with the knee replacement surgery, but I am unable to do almost everything, so it's time. I am going tomorrow to get a surgery date.

Comment from: hopeful, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 16

It has been two years since my 5th and last surgery of total knee replacement (TKR). Things proceeded slowly after having other surgeries to shave kneecap and realign knee. I believe that the kneecap has given way and helped to injure the rest of the knee. Pain and swelling is back after I rode my bike when suddenly it tightened up and has remained so. Try not to have arthroscopic surgery before TKR. Every cut on and in worsens recovery and nerve regeneration.

Comment from: Iqbal75, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 22

I am 40 year old, having osteoarthritis in both knees which shows in x-ray. But both my hip joints are hurting, both shoulders, I have back pain as well. I am very much depressed at the moment, don't know what to do.

Comment from: Naomi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I have had two bilateral knee replacements, and another knee surgery on left knee. I have also had 3 arthroscopic surgeries on left knee and 2 on right knee. I have never had any relief from pain. The first 2 bilateral replacements came apart. Now I am told that the prosthesis in my left leg is loose as well. Please think twice before getting knees replaced. There is no turning back. So sorry I did this, I had knee replacement because pain was so bad, but it still is.

Comment from: ROSIE, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I had osteochondritis dissecans as an adolescent and had my first knee surgery in 1980 at age 30 due to a knee lock; this was before arthroscopic surgery, so my knee was opened up. Then I had constant pain over the years, a couple of arthroscopies to clean up the joint. I had my first knee replacement in 2010; terrible experience. I had pain straight away even with much pain medication. Then despite physiotherapy, the knee wouldn't bend and had to go back for knee manipulation. After 3 months I was able to go back to work but eventually gave up work a year later as I struggled being on my feet all day. Knee is really good, 4 and half years later and have to have the other one done soon. Not looking forward to it as the pain medication messed with my head, and I am concerned that I might have the same issue with stiffness. Knee is still a bit swollen even after all this time, but I go swimming for exercise. Doctor tells me that the new way is to flood the knee with pain medications during surgery and this has been quite successful with his patients. I have to find the time to have it done as I am very active with volunteer work and singing.

Total Knee Replacement - Experience Question: Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.