Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes

What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?

Comment from: /Elizabeth, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I had osteoarthritis in both knees, and was finding it hard to walk.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 26

I had a knee replacement on my left knee on 1-11-11. I am 70 years of age and have arthritis in several joints. I stood the first night after surgery that morning with no weight bearing, then sit, then walked the next day with a walker. On 1-25-11 I graduated to a cane but can walk short distances without it. I can put my own socks on for the first time in years. A lot of my pain is from my other arthritic joints swelling because I can't take my arthritis medication until I am off the blood thinning med. The left knee that he did the replacement on feels very good, I can walk without the pain I have had for years. Thank you Doc and health care professionals. Do your exercises faithfully! Push yourself and have a positive attitude!

Comment from: candy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I just had both knees replaced 12-10 due to Rheumatoid and Arthritis Outcome Score (RAOS), I am 63 and have suffered for several years with damaged bones. Now I'm back to work and walking without a cane.

Comment from: Eileen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I am 76 years old and had a full knee replacement two years ago last month, as normal wear and tear from age. I was in hospital 12 days mainly because my leg swelled to eleven inches larger than my other one. My leg was very discolored, and it frightened me. My surgeon was marvelous to me and gave me much reassurance. I was living alone with my sons and family visiting. I had to stay downstairs about five months, and I did my physical therapy exercises regularly. Thanks to the physical therapists, I have recovered wonderfully. I have been driving 18 months and my leg is a normal size. I have no pain, just a heavy sensation now and again, and I am so very glad I had the operation.

Comment from: bokman, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: February 17

Knee replacement surgery went fine and recovery went fine for 5 months. Then, through exercise such as the stationary bike and leg press machine, which I used for rehabilitation, both my knees became sore in climbing stairs and bending down.

Total Knee Replacement - Experience Question: Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.