Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes

What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?

Comment from: JVee, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 03

Due to Rheumatoid Arthritis I had a left knee replacement 20 years ago. I have lately been having occasional pain at the front of my knee. A scan has shown the problem may be something to do with the kneecap. There is no infection and the joint looks to be in good condition. (My right hip replacement is twenty two years old and my right ankle is beyond any help except for fusion).

Comment from: stancilwk, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

I had bone on bone and put off knee replacement as long as I could. They did the surgery June 15th came home in three days. It did not want to heal and doctor thought there might be infection. July 13th he opened knee back up and did cultures for infection. I came back home after three days and the draining was even worse and so was the pain. He opened it up again on July 20th. That time I went to a rehab center for eight days. I was on IV meds for infection for six weeks. My leg still swells a lot after therapy and hurts like mad. This is not fun.

Comment from: dgoes, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

I had TKR back in 2010 because of bad arthritis. This was actually my second surgery. I had the knee cap replaced in April 2010 but it did not take. Anyway, I did the therapy and I do home exercise. Until lately, things have been going so, so. I have pain on the outer side of my knee and I keep getting told it's just my nerves and muscle adjusting but I'm not sure. About two days ago, after sitting with my knee bent, I went to get up and couldn't straighten knee right away. Walked around a little bit and still couldn't straighten knee totally.

Comment from: julian, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 25

I had my left knee replaced three months ago. I still cannot bend properly after manipulation. Physical therapy forces it to 70 degrees, and then it just swells and stiffens. I can't be on it too long; it swells three times bigger. I keep being told it will get better, but I am seeing people 15 years older than me walking after eight days. I'm getting worse instead of better; not good.

Comment from: gordon, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 25

I am a 72-year-old. I am in excellent health. I am super active, and I had a total left knee replacement earlier this year. I was in the hospital for four days. I started some light therapy the next day when I was out. I haven't slept in my bed yet, four weeks later. I sleep in my recliner. I take two oxycodone pills right before bed. I take them all day as required, although, as usual, I have to have laxitives. I can't drive yet; my wife takes me to therapy.

Comment from: doing well after sur, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I had total knee replacement six months ago. I will say that is a pain no one wants but the pain is gone. I walk without a cane or walker. I cannot stand for long but I am doing fine. Sometimes my knee will stiffen up but I am always moving it up and down. I am doing good my physical therapist only came 11 visits, he said I had the equipment to do my therapy.

Comment from: KALA, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 23

I had a ligament tear a few years back due to a minor fall from a 2 wheeler...It went unnoticed and after 3 years it was diagnosed when I went to a doctor for a checkup due to severe pain. The doctors told me that the delayed reaction caused severe arthritis. I immediately went for ACL reconstruction in the right knee. The pain never went away and aggravated. Now doctors are telling me to go for TKR.

Comment from: marj, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I have had both knees replaced, two years apart; the first in 2005, the second in 2007. Shortly after I found a “lump" in my groin above the right replacement. Also, swelling below the replacement in the same leg. Several doctors later I find the cause /I was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma. I feel my body rejected a foreign substance being placed in my body, causing this type of cancer. Of course, the orthopedic doctors won't confirm this. I also have lymphedema in same leg. Whole leg is painful.

Total Knee Replacement - Experience Question: Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.