Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes

What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?

Comment from: Jan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I had a total R knee replacement Nov. 4th 2011. I have been progressing quite well up to the last few weeks and am now in quite a bit of pain having to increase my pain meds. I have discussed with the physio therapist if she feels I am not progressing and she assured me I am. The problem I'm having is I cannot eat and when I do it's very little which I end up most times vomiting. I am losing weight at a steady pace. I have an allergy to nickel and it is only after the surgery that I discovered there is nickel content in the replacement. I make sure this is recorded on all my medical forms and I am now wondering if I am having an allergic reaction to what is in my body. Will be seeing the surgeon tomorrow to discuss this.

Comment from: Steve, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 27

This is the most painful recovery I have experienced. I have had three back surgeries and five venomous snake bites. All together, the pain from those experiences are not as bad as the pain from the knee surgery. Recovery has been great as far as range of motion but the pain will make you consider dying as an option.

Comment from: boomerBob, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 02

I had my left knee replaced in 2005 and my right knee three weeks ago. There is more pain this time but there also was more soft tissue work needed. The PT is rigorous and painful but worth it in the long run. I can't over emphasize the need to continuously do the therapy. I did have trouble tolerating the morphine but was in a chair the next day morning and walking a little the next afternoon.

Comment from: Equay, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I have been on the list for a total knee replacement but it will be another 5 years before I can have it. I have problems walking; climbing stairs, and now the hip joints are getting affected as I feel the pain in my hip joints whenever I walk a block. I would like to have the knee replacement sooner.

Comment from: chopper, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

Several years ago, I developed significant pain along the right side of my abdomen and side at the level where the waist band of all my clothes fit. After numerous tests for gallbladder and appendix, it was finally decided I had shingles although I never developed any external signs. My internist and my surgeon-to-be were brothers. The internist insisted I had to have an outbreak for it to be shingles but his brother insisted you could have the pain without the external outbreak. All this happened when I was having a lot of stress and it lasted approx. 5-6 weeks.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 24

I had double knee replacement by Dr. Goodson in Huntsville, AL. I got out of the hospital in 3 days. I did therapy at home for 2 weeks and then 6 weeks in a Therapy Center on Lilly Flag. I used the walker for about 3 days, a cane for a week. I walked a half mile in a week and two miles non-stop in two weeks. I drove myself (former Marine) through therapy and they said I did better than anyone they had ever seen. I now (2 months) walk at least 3 miles/day and bike up to 10. Still ache some at night. With a good surgeon like I had, the operation is what you make of it. I used very few meds but the first week was miserable--lost 45 lbs down to 230.

Comment from: libtehc50, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

I had a total knee replacement 8 week ago. I am still having pain and I feel exhausted all the time. I went back to work this week and I feel it was a very rough week. I was tired every night when I got home.

Comment from: lewy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 30

I had total knee replacement 5 months ago. Only problem I have is bending my knee backwards. I walk 2 miles every day. All my pain has gone. I still have swelling. Hoping my knee will loosen up a bit as time goes by.

Total Knee Replacement - Experience Question: Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.