Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes

What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 24

I had double knee replacement by Dr. Goodson in Huntsville, AL. I got out of the hospital in 3 days. I did therapy at home for 2 weeks and then 6 weeks in a Therapy Center on Lilly Flag. I used the walker for about 3 days, a cane for a week. I walked a half mile in a week and two miles non-stop in two weeks. I drove myself (former Marine) through therapy and they said I did better than anyone they had ever seen. I now (2 months) walk at least 3 miles/day and bike up to 10. Still ache some at night. With a good surgeon like I had, the operation is what you make of it. I used very few meds but the first week was miserable--lost 45 lbs down to 230.

Comment from: libtehc50, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

I had a total knee replacement 8 week ago. I am still having pain and I feel exhausted all the time. I went back to work this week and I feel it was a very rough week. I was tired every night when I got home.

Comment from: lewy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 30

I had total knee replacement 5 months ago. Only problem I have is bending my knee backwards. I walk 2 miles every day. All my pain has gone. I still have swelling. Hoping my knee will loosen up a bit as time goes by.

Comment from: John L., 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 24

I am a 64 year old male strong and pain tolerant. On 4-13-1 I had a left knee total replacement. I was given the femoral nerve block as well as a spinal. Everything thing went well. On day 3 transferred to in-house P/T for 2 weeks then sent home with a walker. 1 day around the house and started using a cane. Do outpatient 2x weekly and have been described as ahead of schedule. May 24 now and haven't used a cane for 2 weeks. Still have dull pain under knee and left side of knee. Beginning to get concerned about what's going on. Can't sleep, surgeon on Friday. Very concerned. Things were going so good, now I'm worried. Will get back to everyone.

Comment from: It's a struggle, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I am a 52 yr old female and had total knee replacement on March 10, 2011. I am in my 3rd week and going out for Physical Therapy for 1 week now and I am making remarkable progress. Home health was not working for me so my orthopedic surgeon sent me to Physical Therapy. I will start riding the bike tomorrow and will start pool therapy tomorrow. I have RA and my knee needed a replacement after 2 knee arthroscopy's. It is a struggle, hard work, can not sleep through the night. But I know that it will take 3 to 6 months to heal.

Comment from: Grace, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

I had knee replacement surgery in January, 2010. It was the best thing I have ever had done. I both knees replaced one week apart. I went to rehab for 4 days after each knee and then had outpatient therapy for 3 weeks. I am 69 years old and have osteoarthritis. I was walking right after surgery, back to the gym in 6 weeks, walked an 18 hole golf course all summer and am now attending Zumba classes. It is great to be able to get down on the floor with the grandkids and know I can easily get back up.

Comment from: bp, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 17

I had a lot of pain on the inside of my left knee, when I walked or stood. Having the replacement was the best thing I could have done.

Comment from: mahmoud, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 09

I had bilateral total knee replacement since 3 weeks. I am 53years old I had severe pain in both knees with bowing of legs and unable to do ordinary day activities, now I walk with one crutch but pain and swelling is still there. It is a traumatizing operation and recovery takes time at least 3 months.

Comment from: Roxielove, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I had a total knee on November 2. I am done with PT now. I still pain and stiffness and use a cane. The arthritis pain is gone but now I have this pain. On pain meds two times a day. Also need total knee replacement on my other knee. The arthritis pain is bad there. I am 57 years old. I get very discouraged.

Total Knee Replacement - Experience Question: Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.