Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes

What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I have no cartilage left at 54 years old. My left knee is bone to bone right now. Sometimes I can stand the pain, other times it is severe. The knee also had been riddled with arthritis and had a torn meniscus in two different places. I am very nervous to have surgery as I have had too many already. Also, there is a brand new knee I am now researching.

Comment from: phyllis, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I was having constant knee pain. I had orthoscopic surgery done on both knees approximately 12 years prior. I began having the pain again and was told with some arthritis and bone deteriation, it was necessary to have total knee replacement. So on July 6th 2009, that's what i did. Since then, I've had it redone but it only got worse. I have a terrible stinging sensation in both legs, and both knees have severe pain. If I stand for more than 2 or 3 minutes the stinging or tingling starts. I constantly stomp my feet to sort of ease the stinging. I have to sleep with my legs elevated and have to constantly shake my legs when i sit still for a few minutes. I've seen 6 or 7 other doctors but no help. I've had therapy and pain management. But none can give me any relief or answers. I refuse to go to the doctors anymore.

Comment from: Daniel, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 27

I have arthritis on my right knee, due to overuse syndrome. As a registered nurse I walk many miles every day. I injured my miniscus and a surgeon cleaned up the tear. He discovered that I have arthrities on my knee and will need a total or partial knee replacement. I still have much pain after the arthroscopy to clean up the torn ligament.

Comment from: lyn49, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I've had both knees replaced three months apart. My first surgery went very well with no need for pain medication after ten days. This second surgery has been somewhat harder. I am still on pain medication three weeks after. But I think I am suffering more from a post op depression. I really need patience just feeling sorry for myself I guess.

Comment from: JVee, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 03

Due to Rheumatoid Arthritis I had a left knee replacement 20 years ago. I have lately been having occasional pain at the front of my knee. A scan has shown the problem may be something to do with the kneecap. There is no infection and the joint looks to be in good condition. (My right hip replacement is twenty two years old and my right ankle is beyond any help except for fusion).

Comment from: catherine, 55-64 Female Published: October 10

I have had two knee replacements left and right. The left was done over 14 months ago, and I never had any problem. Since I had the right done in January of this year, I have suffered with constant pain down the right side of the right knee, and I know it's the new joint but no one will listen to me. I have a lot of nerve pain.

Comment from: Christine, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 10

I had a total knee replacement nine weeks ago. It is the best thing I have ever done. The pain was quite bad for the first couple of weeks, but now I am reaping the benefits of the surgery. I can walk up and down the stairs properly, I don't use a stick, and I have found a significant improvement overall. I will not hesitate to have the other knee done if need be.

Comment from: stancilwk, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

I had bone on bone and put off knee replacement as long as I could. They did the surgery June 15th came home in three days. It did not want to heal and doctor thought there might be infection. July 13th he opened knee back up and did cultures for infection. I came back home after three days and the draining was even worse and so was the pain. He opened it up again on July 20th. That time I went to a rehab center for eight days. I was on IV meds for infection for six weeks. My leg still swells a lot after therapy and hurts like mad. This is not fun.

Total Knee Replacement - Experience Question: Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.