Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes

What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?

Comment from: KALA, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 23

I had a ligament tear a few years back due to a minor fall from a 2 wheeler...It went unnoticed and after 3 years it was diagnosed when I went to a doctor for a checkup due to severe pain. The doctors told me that the delayed reaction caused severe arthritis. I immediately went for ACL reconstruction in the right knee. The pain never went away and aggravated. Now doctors are telling me to go for TKR.

Comment from: marj, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I have had both knees replaced, two years apart; the first in 2005, the second in 2007. Shortly after I found a “lump" in my groin above the right replacement. Also, swelling below the replacement in the same leg. Several doctors later I find the cause /I was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma. I feel my body rejected a foreign substance being placed in my body, causing this type of cancer. Of course, the orthopedic doctors won't confirm this. I also have lymphedema in same leg. Whole leg is painful.

Comment from: Jan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I had a total R knee replacement Nov. 4th 2011. I have been progressing quite well up to the last few weeks and am now in quite a bit of pain having to increase my pain meds. I have discussed with the physio therapist if she feels I am not progressing and she assured me I am. The problem I'm having is I cannot eat and when I do it's very little which I end up most times vomiting. I am losing weight at a steady pace. I have an allergy to nickel and it is only after the surgery that I discovered there is nickel content in the replacement. I make sure this is recorded on all my medical forms and I am now wondering if I am having an allergic reaction to what is in my body. Will be seeing the surgeon tomorrow to discuss this.

Comment from: Steve, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 27

This is the most painful recovery I have experienced. I have had three back surgeries and five venomous snake bites. All together, the pain from those experiences are not as bad as the pain from the knee surgery. Recovery has been great as far as range of motion but the pain will make you consider dying as an option.

Comment from: boomerBob, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 02

I had my left knee replaced in 2005 and my right knee three weeks ago. There is more pain this time but there also was more soft tissue work needed. The PT is rigorous and painful but worth it in the long run. I can't over emphasize the need to continuously do the therapy. I did have trouble tolerating the morphine but was in a chair the next day morning and walking a little the next afternoon.

Comment from: Equay, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I have been on the list for a total knee replacement but it will be another 5 years before I can have it. I have problems walking; climbing stairs, and now the hip joints are getting affected as I feel the pain in my hip joints whenever I walk a block. I would like to have the knee replacement sooner.

Comment from: chopper, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

Several years ago, I developed significant pain along the right side of my abdomen and side at the level where the waist band of all my clothes fit. After numerous tests for gallbladder and appendix, it was finally decided I had shingles although I never developed any external signs. My internist and my surgeon-to-be were brothers. The internist insisted I had to have an outbreak for it to be shingles but his brother insisted you could have the pain without the external outbreak. All this happened when I was having a lot of stress and it lasted approx. 5-6 weeks.

Total Knee Replacement - Experience Question: Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.