Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes

What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?

Comment from: catherine, 55-64 Female Published: October 10

I have had two knee replacements left and right. The left was done over 14 months ago, and I never had any problem. Since I had the right done in January of this year, I have suffered with constant pain down the right side of the right knee, and I know it's the new joint but no one will listen to me. I have a lot of nerve pain.

Comment from: Christine, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 10

I had a total knee replacement nine weeks ago. It is the best thing I have ever done. The pain was quite bad for the first couple of weeks, but now I am reaping the benefits of the surgery. I can walk up and down the stairs properly, I don't use a stick, and I have found a significant improvement overall. I will not hesitate to have the other knee done if need be.

Comment from: stancilwk, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

I had bone on bone and put off knee replacement as long as I could. They did the surgery June 15th came home in three days. It did not want to heal and doctor thought there might be infection. July 13th he opened knee back up and did cultures for infection. I came back home after three days and the draining was even worse and so was the pain. He opened it up again on July 20th. That time I went to a rehab center for eight days. I was on IV meds for infection for six weeks. My leg still swells a lot after therapy and hurts like mad. This is not fun.

Comment from: dgoes, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

I had TKR back in 2010 because of bad arthritis. This was actually my second surgery. I had the knee cap replaced in April 2010 but it did not take. Anyway, I did the therapy and I do home exercise. Until lately, things have been going so, so. I have pain on the outer side of my knee and I keep getting told it's just my nerves and muscle adjusting but I'm not sure. About two days ago, after sitting with my knee bent, I went to get up and couldn't straighten knee right away. Walked around a little bit and still couldn't straighten knee totally.

Comment from: julian, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 25

I had my left knee replaced three months ago. I still cannot bend properly after manipulation. Physical therapy forces it to 70 degrees, and then it just swells and stiffens. I can't be on it too long; it swells three times bigger. I keep being told it will get better, but I am seeing people 15 years older than me walking after eight days. I'm getting worse instead of better; not good.

Comment from: gordon, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 25

I am a 72-year-old. I am in excellent health. I am super active, and I had a total left knee replacement earlier this year. I was in the hospital for four days. I started some light therapy the next day when I was out. I haven't slept in my bed yet, four weeks later. I sleep in my recliner. I take two oxycodone pills right before bed. I take them all day as required, although, as usual, I have to have laxitives. I can't drive yet; my wife takes me to therapy.

Comment from: 1Snovy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 20

I had a total replacement of my right knee on May 25th. I was told the surgery went well and was in the hospital for four days and sent home, as I have no insurance. Upon visiting me two days later, a VNA nurse visited and was very concerned about the appearance of my leg. She suggested I go to the Emergency Room. It was determined that the incision was infected. I was given Keflex, 500 mg., four times a day. After two full weeks of antibiotics, they were reduced to twice a day and the staples removed four days ago. Today, I began to notice increased pain and swelling and by the evening discovered the leg to be red in color once again, in addition to increased swelling and a low grade temperature. I will be calling the hospital's orthopedic clinic in the morning to advise them of the situation. Frustrating that over two weeks of antibiotics has not resolved the situation.

Comment from: Byron, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 19

It has been a year ago today that I had total knee replacement, and I'm worse off now than before. The swelling in my knee has never gone away, and I can't walk or stand for more than a few minutes because of the pain. I have been back several times to the doctor who did my surgery and I get the same old story: He can't find anything wrong and says he doesn't know what to do. I go back to him on Monday and will probably be told the same thing.

Total Knee Replacement - Experience Question: Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.