Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes

What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?

Comment from: Denise, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I had TKR on the 17th Nov 2011. It was the best thing that I have had done. I was on Durogesic patches and Endone tablets for the pain before the operation and my leg was bowed, so I had a limp. I was operated on Thursday afternoon and was walking with a walking stick on Friday afternoon and went home Saturday morning. I went to physio a week later (I was doing exercises the hospital gave me) and they gave me new exercises, then I went back 3 weeks after the operation and they were so pleased with my progress that they didn't want me back again, I just had to keep up the exercises at home. I could fully extend my leg and could bend to 130 degree's which is apparently all you can expect after knee replacement. It has now been 6 weeks and I can bend it more and now just love walking pain free. I think being reasonably young (55 years) definitely helps with recovery. I have to have my right leg done eventually but at the moment it isn't giving me too many problems but it is bone on bone like the left one was. I am totally off all pain medication too and have been since the operation.

Comment from: Anna, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I had a total knee replacement on May 17,2011 I have been waiting 23 years to have this procedure due to both of my knees are bone to bone, I have limped, cried cursed for many years because of the pain, you know daily pain you just deal with it, then there is pain ok hurts a lot take the pill with some relief right, then pain you just don't walk can't hardly move nothing works but yet you have to go to work, so this is what I thought at least decrease some pain but after the Doctor got done with me I have had lateral release, injections, leg manipulation and I still cannot hardly walk my leg is always warm and I am only 50 and scared to death of losing my leg now I wish I had never ever had this done it hurts worse than it ever has and guess what he says it is all in my mind, right my mind says he hurt me and did not fulfill his professional promise but I have done everything I was supposed to but I am loosing what ROM I have and this is not fair, please someone help me find a true MD that can help!!!

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 01

I had total knee replacement on my left knee by doctors at James Haley veterans Hospital this I think may have been a fiasco. I hurt my knee parachuting in the military and was told in 1976 to have knee replacement but wasn't sure. In 2009 I had it done and all the years of suffering since 1967 were far better than my knee is now. I have constant pain and Drs. who think they did such a swell job but an almost imperceptible scar doesn't mean the inside was good. I have bone spurs and constant pain that they of course blame on me I ride my bike 6 miles a day for exercise but they say I don't get enough. Time for a civilian doctor.

Comment from: Diann, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I fell and broke the tibial plateau on my right knee Oct. 3 2011, while in the er the orthopedic doctor said, I'm not concerned about the break but your knee is so arthritic that knee replacement is necessary, so after laying in the hospital bed for 2 days and given my options of letting the break heal for 3 months I would still need the replacement, so I opted to have the replacement done as it would take care of the break. I had the surgery done Oct 6, 2011 and was sent home 3 days after surgery. The pain was horrible; the knee was so swollen and tight that I almost regretted having it done. I am now 3 weeks post-op and have physical therapy 3x a week and I am just starting to bend my knee while in a sitting position. The inside joint of the knee hurts when I bend it, it almost feels like the bone is rubbing against something or like a rubber band stretched out and not wanting to loosen up. If it weren't for that I think I would be able to move it more. However, the x-rays and the dr. said that everything looks fine. No one knows their body better than themselves and I can't understand why they don't listen when you tell that you don't think something is right. They keep telling you exercise exercise get it to bend. Well that's easier said and done. But I am not going to give in, and push myself to get it to bend. Will I ever do this again? No, I think I would rather live with the arthritic pain in the knee before ever having to do this again. This is one of the hardest surgeries that I ever had to endure. Yet you talk to some people and they swear by it and tell you that it's a piece of cake. Maybe my situation is a little different because of the break and making it difficult as I have to heal 2 things at the same time. I am just wishing that I wake up and start walking normally again.

Comment from: Tootser922, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 10

I had my right knee totally replaced in 2003. Everything went well and the knee has not given me a problem. It is now 2011, and I've just had my left knee totally replaced. Both surgeries went well. After four days in the hospital, I went to a rehab center for 14 days. Physical therapy was very rigorous, and that, my friends, is the answer. I walked out of rehab with NO walker and NO cane! I am currently going to physical therapy three times a week for the rest of this month. I can only say my physician is the greatest. He did both knees. All is well, and I'll be dancing at my granddaughter's wedding in November! Everyone thinks it's a miracle. No. It's hard work to get the knee to bend. And you MUST have the right surgeon!

Total Knee Replacement - Experience Question: Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.