Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes

What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?

Comment from: Diann, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I fell and broke the tibial plateau on my right knee Oct. 3 2011, while in the er the orthopedic doctor said, I'm not concerned about the break but your knee is so arthritic that knee replacement is necessary, so after laying in the hospital bed for 2 days and given my options of letting the break heal for 3 months I would still need the replacement, so I opted to have the replacement done as it would take care of the break. I had the surgery done Oct 6, 2011 and was sent home 3 days after surgery. The pain was horrible; the knee was so swollen and tight that I almost regretted having it done. I am now 3 weeks post-op and have physical therapy 3x a week and I am just starting to bend my knee while in a sitting position. The inside joint of the knee hurts when I bend it, it almost feels like the bone is rubbing against something or like a rubber band stretched out and not wanting to loosen up. If it weren't for that I think I would be able to move it more. However, the x-rays and the dr. said that everything looks fine. No one knows their body better than themselves and I can't understand why they don't listen when you tell that you don't think something is right. They keep telling you exercise exercise get it to bend. Well that's easier said and done. But I am not going to give in, and push myself to get it to bend. Will I ever do this again? No, I think I would rather live with the arthritic pain in the knee before ever having to do this again. This is one of the hardest surgeries that I ever had to endure. Yet you talk to some people and they swear by it and tell you that it's a piece of cake. Maybe my situation is a little different because of the break and making it difficult as I have to heal 2 things at the same time. I am just wishing that I wake up and start walking normally again.

Comment from: Tootser922, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 10

I had my right knee totally replaced in 2003. Everything went well and the knee has not given me a problem. It is now 2011, and I've just had my left knee totally replaced. Both surgeries went well. After four days in the hospital, I went to a rehab center for 14 days. Physical therapy was very rigorous, and that, my friends, is the answer. I walked out of rehab with NO walker and NO cane! I am currently going to physical therapy three times a week for the rest of this month. I can only say my physician is the greatest. He did both knees. All is well, and I'll be dancing at my granddaughter's wedding in November! Everyone thinks it's a miracle. No. It's hard work to get the knee to bend. And you MUST have the right surgeon!

Comment from: FAY, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 20

At the age of 58 I had a TKR in my right knee. As a teenager I played A grade hockey and pushed myself physically with tennis as well. Played hockey till my late 30's. Stopped playing tennis in my 40's when I could no longer hold the racket because of arthritis in my hands. Continued to work in a physical demanding job, whilst suffering severely from osteoarthritis. I had a couple of falls on my knees onto hard surfaces. My doctor gave me 2 cortisone injections into my knee. The pain was minimal for a while. Changed doctors and he ordered an x-ray! My knee was beyond repair and the pain very severe. My only option was a TKR. No more pain in that knee. However, I did not get the required bend to walk down stairs properly. Cannot ride a bike. I am not allowed to put any body weight on my knee as it is only cemented in, due to my small bone structure! All is good and can still walk well and for long distances and garden. NO MORE PAIN.

Comment from: Iqbal75, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 22

I am 40 year old, having osteoarthritis in both knees which shows in x-ray. But both my hip joints are hurting, both shoulders, I have back pain as well. I am very much depressed at the moment, don't know what to do.

Comment from: Jean, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

After 5 years of injections and a lot of pain, the doctor did an MRI. Now he wants me to have a total knee replacement. I hear the recovery time takes a while and it's a very painful recovery. However, after years of limping and pain I will be glad to live normally again; with no cane or walker. I find out Monday when the surgery will be scheduled.

Comment from: Just sad, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I'm 48 and had a TKR (total knee replacement) on my right knee, about 6 weeks ago on 20th August, 2013. I didn't have an option; I tried everything else and still could not walk without severe pain.

Comment from: Brew, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 20

I tried everything to save my right knee, but after three surgeries and numerous shots for pain, I had it replaced. Rehab was agonizing but well worth it.

Total Knee Replacement - Experience Question: Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.