Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes

What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?

Comment from: deborah, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I was in a car wreck in October of 2012. I was jammed in my car and had to be cut out. The next day, my right knee was so painful, but with minimal pain to my left knee. An MRI showed a torn meniscus and ACL to my right knee. The doctor fixed the meniscus, both lateral and medial, but said that he didn't fix the ACL because I needed a total knee replacement. I've never recovered from the surgery. I spoke with my doctor recently and asked if the need for the total knee repair was a result of the car wreck, which I firmly believe it is, and he told me he thought it was just from arthritis. I find it hard to believe. I thought needing a total knee was due to worn out cartilage or a severe impact to the knee, such as in my case.

Comment from: Liz, 65-74 Female Published: April 05

I needed two knee replacements due to a gardening accident in which I tore the meniscus in both knees. I suffered with terrible pain for a year, until my doctor decided that it was time for surgery. After two replacements and one revision, I am in pain daily. Trust me – it's not all in my head. This has reduced my quality of living, yet I still make myself garden and walk daily. But I suffer at the end of the day. Life goes on and you have to learn to cope, but I would give anything to have one day with no pain.

Comment from: jk, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 03

I am 65 and I had my TKR over a month ago. I am still suffering with pain. I was not informed that it takes 9 to 12 months for total recovery. I have to admit, every morning I feel a little better. I think my biggest fear was for the last month and half I needed my pain medication. I feared addiction. I am now taking one pill when the pain is sharp, but that may happen every other day. I'm not sure yet if I am happy with the TKR. I am still homebound – for the most part icing my knee every 20 minutes. I think excessive walking at this point is the reason I might occasionally need to take pain pills.

Comment from: Sophie1450, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

I am 37 years old and getting total knee replacements next month due to valgus deformity.

Comment from: Mariana, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I did my TKR as there isn't any more cartilage on my right knee and my meniscus are severely torn. It is almost a month and half since my TKR. I'm walking now but with a slight limp. I still feel tightness around the scar as well as sharp pain when I massage around the scar. I will experience sharp pain several times a day. Also, at times my affected knee tends to give way while walking.

Comment from: walker, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I had a total knee replacement on both knees at once in March 2011. It is the best thing I ever did. My knees had gradually worsened for 8 years before the surgery and I had no option but to have them replaced. Before the surgery I was constantly in pain and could not walk without pain or a limp. The operation was extremely painful but worth it. Now I can walk 7 kilometers a day without pain. It has given me a new life.

Comment from: Vern, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 03

I have suffered from osteoarthritis since I was a teenager. I am having problems with my knee joints and am trying to aleviate the pain and swelling along with the "it'll get better" attitude. I avoided medical attention when I had flare-ups. In the meantime as I got older and being a firefighter constantly on my knees, the joint finally wore down to almost nothing and I had difficulty walking. The most important thing I can pass on to others is not to have the "no pain-no gain" attitude, seek medical intervention and follow doctors orders strictly when having any pain, inflammation or difficulty in using your joints.

Comment from: philnar, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 05

I really am glad I found this page. Began to think I was the only one with problems from knee replacement. It has been two months and pain is still severe. Ice packs and Percocet help and are necessary. I am able to get around with a cane but mobility is very limited. Unable to work. Did two months therapy and have 120 degree flex in knee but pain is constant.

Total Knee Replacement - Experience Question: Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.