Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes

What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?

Comment from: FAY, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 20

At the age of 58 I had a TKR in my right knee. As a teenager I played A grade hockey and pushed myself physically with tennis as well. Played hockey till my late 30's. Stopped playing tennis in my 40's when I could no longer hold the racket because of arthritis in my hands. Continued to work in a physical demanding job, whilst suffering severely from osteoarthritis. I had a couple of falls on my knees onto hard surfaces. My doctor gave me 2 cortisone injections into my knee. The pain was minimal for a while. Changed doctors and he ordered an x-ray! My knee was beyond repair and the pain very severe. My only option was a TKR. No more pain in that knee. However, I did not get the required bend to walk down stairs properly. Cannot ride a bike. I am not allowed to put any body weight on my knee as it is only cemented in, due to my small bone structure! All is good and can still walk well and for long distances and garden. NO MORE PAIN.

Comment from: Iqbal75, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 22

I am 40 year old, having osteoarthritis in both knees which shows in x-ray. But both my hip joints are hurting, both shoulders, I have back pain as well. I am very much depressed at the moment, don't know what to do.

Comment from: Jean, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

After 5 years of injections and a lot of pain, the doctor did an MRI. Now he wants me to have a total knee replacement. I hear the recovery time takes a while and it's a very painful recovery. However, after years of limping and pain I will be glad to live normally again; with no cane or walker. I find out Monday when the surgery will be scheduled.

Comment from: Just sad, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I'm 48 and had a TKR (total knee replacement) on my right knee, about 6 weeks ago on 20th August, 2013. I didn't have an option; I tried everything else and still could not walk without severe pain.

Comment from: Brew, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 20

I tried everything to save my right knee, but after three surgeries and numerous shots for pain, I had it replaced. Rehab was agonizing but well worth it.

Comment from: Peggerz, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

At the age of 61; this past March 2013; I finally gave in to a full knee replacement of my left knee. I had suffered for years with osteoarthritis, two torn menisci and five months before surgery my knee fractured due to osteoporosis. It was the absolute best decision I ever made. Six weeks after surgery; I was out mowing my yard and it is not small by any means. Being a single lady; sometimes you just got to do for yourself. I had no help whatsoever at home. The day I was released from the hospital; I was home cooking my own dinner. Was on a walker for a week and a cane for one day. I felt so empowered that I could do this on my own and encourage other women to empower themselves; YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

Comment from: Santa Fe-an, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 07

I'm 73, going on 74 next month, with moderate pain in my right knee. I'm considering total knee replacement surgery. However, my wife is unable to drive as a result of a stroke, uses a walker, and is dependent upon me to cook, buy groceries, etc. So the primary question I have – which I haven't seen anyone address – is how long after TKR will I be able to drive? Aquatic therapy, which I have done, seems like a good idea, but how will I get there if I can't drive? And if I have to be confined to a rehab center for a month or so, who can I find to take care of my wife? Someone recently asked me how they could avoid the need for knee surgery. Unfortunately, the only advice I could offer was, "Die early!"

Comment from: deborah, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I was in a car wreck in October of 2012. I was jammed in my car and had to be cut out. The next day, my right knee was so painful, but with minimal pain to my left knee. An MRI showed a torn meniscus and ACL to my right knee. The doctor fixed the meniscus, both lateral and medial, but said that he didn't fix the ACL because I needed a total knee replacement. I've never recovered from the surgery. I spoke with my doctor recently and asked if the need for the total knee repair was a result of the car wreck, which I firmly believe it is, and he told me he thought it was just from arthritis. I find it hard to believe. I thought needing a total knee was due to worn out cartilage or a severe impact to the knee, such as in my case.

Total Knee Replacement - Experience Question: Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.