Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes

What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?

Comment from: walker, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I had a total knee replacement on both knees at once in March 2011. It is the best thing I ever did. My knees had gradually worsened for 8 years before the surgery and I had no option but to have them replaced. Before the surgery I was constantly in pain and could not walk without pain or a limp. The operation was extremely painful but worth it. Now I can walk 7 kilometers a day without pain. It has given me a new life.

Comment from: Vern, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 03

I have suffered from osteoarthritis since I was a teenager. I am having problems with my knee joints and am trying to aleviate the pain and swelling along with the "it'll get better" attitude. I avoided medical attention when I had flare-ups. In the meantime as I got older and being a firefighter constantly on my knees, the joint finally wore down to almost nothing and I had difficulty walking. The most important thing I can pass on to others is not to have the "no pain-no gain" attitude, seek medical intervention and follow doctors orders strictly when having any pain, inflammation or difficulty in using your joints.

Comment from: philnar, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 05

I really am glad I found this page. Began to think I was the only one with problems from knee replacement. It has been two months and pain is still severe. Ice packs and Percocet help and are necessary. I am able to get around with a cane but mobility is very limited. Unable to work. Did two months therapy and have 120 degree flex in knee but pain is constant.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I have no cartilage left at 54 years old. My left knee is bone to bone right now. Sometimes I can stand the pain, other times it is severe. The knee also had been riddled with arthritis and had a torn meniscus in two different places. I am very nervous to have surgery as I have had too many already. Also, there is a brand new knee I am now researching.

Comment from: phyllis, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I was having constant knee pain. I had orthoscopic surgery done on both knees approximately 12 years prior. I began having the pain again and was told with some arthritis and bone deteriation, it was necessary to have total knee replacement. So on July 6th 2009, that's what i did. Since then, I've had it redone but it only got worse. I have a terrible stinging sensation in both legs, and both knees have severe pain. If I stand for more than 2 or 3 minutes the stinging or tingling starts. I constantly stomp my feet to sort of ease the stinging. I have to sleep with my legs elevated and have to constantly shake my legs when i sit still for a few minutes. I've seen 6 or 7 other doctors but no help. I've had therapy and pain management. But none can give me any relief or answers. I refuse to go to the doctors anymore.

Comment from: Daniel, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 27

I have arthritis on my right knee, due to overuse syndrome. As a registered nurse I walk many miles every day. I injured my miniscus and a surgeon cleaned up the tear. He discovered that I have arthrities on my knee and will need a total or partial knee replacement. I still have much pain after the arthroscopy to clean up the torn ligament.

Comment from: lyn49, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I've had both knees replaced three months apart. My first surgery went very well with no need for pain medication after ten days. This second surgery has been somewhat harder. I am still on pain medication three weeks after. But I think I am suffering more from a post op depression. I really need patience just feeling sorry for myself I guess.

Comment from: JVee, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 03

Due to Rheumatoid Arthritis I had a left knee replacement 20 years ago. I have lately been having occasional pain at the front of my knee. A scan has shown the problem may be something to do with the kneecap. There is no infection and the joint looks to be in good condition. (My right hip replacement is twenty two years old and my right ankle is beyond any help except for fusion).

Total Knee Replacement - Experience Question: Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.