Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes

What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?

Comment from: Brew, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 20

I tried everything to save my right knee, but after three surgeries and numerous shots for pain, I had it replaced. Rehab was agonizing but well worth it.

Comment from: Peggerz, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

At the age of 61; this past March 2013; I finally gave in to a full knee replacement of my left knee. I had suffered for years with osteoarthritis, two torn menisci and five months before surgery my knee fractured due to osteoporosis. It was the absolute best decision I ever made. Six weeks after surgery; I was out mowing my yard and it is not small by any means. Being a single lady; sometimes you just got to do for yourself. I had no help whatsoever at home. The day I was released from the hospital; I was home cooking my own dinner. Was on a walker for a week and a cane for one day. I felt so empowered that I could do this on my own and encourage other women to empower themselves; YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

Comment from: Santa Fe-an, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 07

I'm 73, going on 74 next month, with moderate pain in my right knee. I'm considering total knee replacement surgery. However, my wife is unable to drive as a result of a stroke, uses a walker, and is dependent upon me to cook, buy groceries, etc. So the primary question I have – which I haven't seen anyone address – is how long after TKR will I be able to drive? Aquatic therapy, which I have done, seems like a good idea, but how will I get there if I can't drive? And if I have to be confined to a rehab center for a month or so, who can I find to take care of my wife? Someone recently asked me how they could avoid the need for knee surgery. Unfortunately, the only advice I could offer was, "Die early!"

Comment from: deborah, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I was in a car wreck in October of 2012. I was jammed in my car and had to be cut out. The next day, my right knee was so painful, but with minimal pain to my left knee. An MRI showed a torn meniscus and ACL to my right knee. The doctor fixed the meniscus, both lateral and medial, but said that he didn't fix the ACL because I needed a total knee replacement. I've never recovered from the surgery. I spoke with my doctor recently and asked if the need for the total knee repair was a result of the car wreck, which I firmly believe it is, and he told me he thought it was just from arthritis. I find it hard to believe. I thought needing a total knee was due to worn out cartilage or a severe impact to the knee, such as in my case.

Comment from: Liz, 65-74 Female Published: April 05

I needed two knee replacements due to a gardening accident in which I tore the meniscus in both knees. I suffered with terrible pain for a year, until my doctor decided that it was time for surgery. After two replacements and one revision, I am in pain daily. Trust me – it's not all in my head. This has reduced my quality of living, yet I still make myself garden and walk daily. But I suffer at the end of the day. Life goes on and you have to learn to cope, but I would give anything to have one day with no pain.

Comment from: jk, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 03

I am 65 and I had my TKR over a month ago. I am still suffering with pain. I was not informed that it takes 9 to 12 months for total recovery. I have to admit, every morning I feel a little better. I think my biggest fear was for the last month and half I needed my pain medication. I feared addiction. I am now taking one pill when the pain is sharp, but that may happen every other day. I'm not sure yet if I am happy with the TKR. I am still homebound – for the most part icing my knee every 20 minutes. I think excessive walking at this point is the reason I might occasionally need to take pain pills.

Comment from: Sophie1450, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

I am 37 years old and getting total knee replacements next month due to valgus deformity.

Comment from: Mariana, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I did my TKR as there isn't any more cartilage on my right knee and my meniscus are severely torn. It is almost a month and half since my TKR. I'm walking now but with a slight limp. I still feel tightness around the scar as well as sharp pain when I massage around the scar. I will experience sharp pain several times a day. Also, at times my affected knee tends to give way while walking.

Total Knee Replacement - Experience Question: Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.