Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes

What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?

Comment from: hopeful, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 16

It has been two years since my 5th and last surgery of total knee replacement (TKR). Things proceeded slowly after having other surgeries to shave kneecap and realign knee. I believe that the kneecap has given way and helped to injure the rest of the knee. Pain and swelling is back after I rode my bike when suddenly it tightened up and has remained so. Try not to have arthroscopic surgery before TKR. Every cut on and in worsens recovery and nerve regeneration.

Comment from: Naomi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I have had two bilateral knee replacements, and another knee surgery on left knee. I have also had 3 arthroscopic surgeries on left knee and 2 on right knee. I have never had any relief from pain. The first 2 bilateral replacements came apart. Now I am told that the prosthesis in my left leg is loose as well. Please think twice before getting knees replaced. There is no turning back. So sorry I did this, I had knee replacement because pain was so bad, but it still is.

Comment from: ROSIE, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I had osteochondritis dissecans as an adolescent and had my first knee surgery in 1980 at age 30 due to a knee lock; this was before arthroscopic surgery, so my knee was opened up. Then I had constant pain over the years, a couple of arthroscopies to clean up the joint. I had my first knee replacement in 2010; terrible experience. I had pain straight away even with much pain medication. Then despite physiotherapy, the knee wouldn't bend and had to go back for knee manipulation. After 3 months I was able to go back to work but eventually gave up work a year later as I struggled being on my feet all day. Knee is really good, 4 and half years later and have to have the other one done soon. Not looking forward to it as the pain medication messed with my head, and I am concerned that I might have the same issue with stiffness. Knee is still a bit swollen even after all this time, but I go swimming for exercise. Doctor tells me that the new way is to flood the knee with pain medications during surgery and this has been quite successful with his patients. I have to find the time to have it done as I am very active with volunteer work and singing.

Comment from: Cal, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: August 12

I am 76, I had polio at age 2, mostly left leg with some late effects, also known as post-polio syndrome (PPS), and muscle weakness in right leg. To resolve length discrepancy, staples were placed in femur head to retard growth of right leg. Unfortunately outside staples broke and allowed some growth on outside of joint, creating a significantly bowed leg. The remedy was to do a bone graft in tibia. Due to pain, I have worn a KAFO brace for 40 years to keep joint in alignment. Pain and loose joint has caused me to consider joint replacement. I have had x-rays and consultation with doctor and an appointment for more evaluation next week. I am very active and in good overall health.

Comment from: Tough Knee Ronnie, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 24

It is 3.5 months after total knee replacement (TKR). This has been an extremely challenging experience. I was very unprepared for the amount of pain and the lack of strength I had for the first two months. Somehow I expected to do way better than I did. I guess this was because I have always been a highly active person. I had phenomenal pain for the first two weeks. One of the toughest things has been dealing with the swelling and aching that appears every time I increase the duration or intensity of any of my exercises or activities. As the only way to get better is to push and push, I am having to deal with a fair bit of pain. My knee has felt a little wobbly, but that is very gradually getting better as the muscles strengthen. I still get lots of clicking noises. One of the worst things has been my fear that things aren't going right, that something is wrong.

Comment from: Annie J., 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

Arthritis damage and former injury sixty years ago. After fall off horse landing on knee it was damaged, and I needed a total knee replacement.

Comment from: Jerry, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 06

I have had both knees replaced this year, left one in March 2013, the other in August 2013. I was a caregiver for my wife for the ten years prior and could not risk the surgery so I waited. My wife passed away in November 2012, so I went ahead with the surgery. My left knee was bone on bone and was already starting to shift over to the side. Surgery was on Tuesday morning, I was home on Friday, therapy at home for three weeks, rehab for three and everything is great. Second knee was replaced in August, I was in surgery on Tuesday and home Thursday morning. I had therapy at home for three weeks and rehab for the next three weeks. Everything is great! I have almost no pain, maybe once a week a bit of stiffness or soreness. I am 69 and have gotten rid of my limp, I feel great.

Total Knee Replacement - Experience Question: Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.