Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes

What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?

Comment from: Diann, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I fell and broke the tibial plateau on my right knee Oct. 3 2011, while in the er the orthopedic doctor said, I'm not concerned about the break but your knee is so arthritic that knee replacement is necessary, so after laying in the hospital bed for 2 days and given my options of letting the break heal for 3 months I would still need the replacement, so I opted to have the replacement done as it would take care of the break. I had the surgery done Oct 6, 2011 and was sent home 3 days after surgery. The pain was horrible; the knee was so swollen and tight that I almost regretted having it done. I am now 3 weeks post-op and have physical therapy 3x a week and I am just starting to bend my knee while in a sitting position. The inside joint of the knee hurts when I bend it, it almost feels like the bone is rubbing against something or like a rubber band stretched out and not wanting to loosen up. If it weren't for that I think I would be able to move it more. However, the x-rays and the dr. said that everything looks fine. No one knows their body better than themselves and I can't understand why they don't listen when you tell that you don't think something is right. They keep telling you exercise exercise get it to bend. Well that's easier said and done. But I am not going to give in, and push myself to get it to bend. Will I ever do this again? No, I think I would rather live with the arthritic pain in the knee before ever having to do this again. This is one of the hardest surgeries that I ever had to endure. Yet you talk to some people and they swear by it and tell you that it's a piece of cake. Maybe my situation is a little different because of the break and making it difficult as I have to heal 2 things at the same time. I am just wishing that I wake up and start walking normally again.

Comment from: newkneenewme, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I am 24, and I underwent a total knee replacement on my left knee just three weeks ago. Shocking, I know! However, I have had issues with my knee since I was a little girl. I suffered from a rotated tibia and dislocated patella. I underwent outpatient surgery in September of 2010 to try to correct the problem, but the patella continued tracking outward. After six months of physical therapy, I was not receiving the full range of motion that I wanted. However, I was able to build a lot of muscle in the leg. I, along with my orthopedic surgeon, decided after reviewing a CAT scan that the knee replacement was the best option for me. The surgery went fine; however, to correct the issue with my rotated tibia, two screws were placed to help with straightening it out. Because of that, I am wearing a full-length brace to provide extra support for my leg while the bone and tendons heal. However, I was up taking steps hours after surgery, and I walked 200 feet the second day and climbed stairs with ease. I was released from the hospital after three days. For two weeks, I walked with a single crutch; however, I am now able to walk without any extra assistance. Aside from wearing the brace and being limited in my range of motion, I already feel a stronger leg. And I have not let it stop me one bit. I can't wait until I am brace-free and able to continue enjoying my life, pain-free, with my new knee!

Comment from: Tootser922, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 10

I had my right knee totally replaced in 2003. Everything went well and the knee has not given me a problem. It is now 2011, and I've just had my left knee totally replaced. Both surgeries went well. After four days in the hospital, I went to a rehab center for 14 days. Physical therapy was very rigorous, and that, my friends, is the answer. I walked out of rehab with NO walker and NO cane! I am currently going to physical therapy three times a week for the rest of this month. I can only say my physician is the greatest. He did both knees. All is well, and I'll be dancing at my granddaughter's wedding in November! Everyone thinks it's a miracle. No. It's hard work to get the knee to bend. And you MUST have the right surgeon!

Comment from: FAY, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 20

At the age of 58 I had a TKR in my right knee. As a teenager I played A grade hockey and pushed myself physically with tennis as well. Played hockey till my late 30's. Stopped playing tennis in my 40's when I could no longer hold the racket because of arthritis in my hands. Continued to work in a physical demanding job, whilst suffering severely from osteoarthritis. I had a couple of falls on my knees onto hard surfaces. My doctor gave me 2 cortisone injections into my knee. The pain was minimal for a while. Changed doctors and he ordered an x-ray! My knee was beyond repair and the pain very severe. My only option was a TKR. No more pain in that knee. However, I did not get the required bend to walk down stairs properly. Cannot ride a bike. I am not allowed to put any body weight on my knee as it is only cemented in, due to my small bone structure! All is good and can still walk well and for long distances and garden. NO MORE PAIN.

Comment from: Just sad, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I'm 48 and had a TKR (total knee replacement) on my right knee, about 6 weeks ago on 20th August, 2013. I didn't have an option; I tried everything else and still could not walk without severe pain.

Total Knee Replacement - Experience Question: Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.