Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes

What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?

Comment from: Beverley, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I am female, 54, and had my left knee totally replaced on March 11, 2013. I believe I required the operation because I've been an equestrian all my life and a professional horse trainer/jockey for 20 years. When you mount a horse from the ground you bend your left knee almost to your waist, place the left foot in the stirrup and then pull yourself up. As a professional, I may do this 12 times a day, five days a week, and then ride my own horses on the weekends. That can't be good on a knee.

Comment from: Denise, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

On New Year's Day 2010 I was involved in a car crash. Within days I was suffering extreme pain to the left knee and mild pain in the right knee. 9 Months later I had an arthroscopy and the knee cartridge that had been torn in half, was repaired. Pain did not ease therefore, on New Year's Day 2012, I was in hospital recovering from a total left knee replacement. 12 weeks on and I can walk again, almost pain free and without walking aids. I expect to be back to my busy job within the next four weeks.

Comment from: ohnurse, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I am about to have TKR done within the next month, on my right knee. I have had endoscopic surgery done on it four times already for torn meniscus, water retention. I struggle to get down stairs and up, I can't walk far as the pain gets too much to bear. I am very nervous about this surgery. I have heard and read good and bad things about it. I feel I have a good surgeon and hope that this isn't the wrong choice for me.

Comment from: wagga-ite, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I had a total knee replacement, mid 2010, because of osteoarthritis. I have been extremely happy with my surgery. I need to have the left knee done as well, but am just putting it off as long as I can, as there are always improvements. I have had both hips replaced about 10 years ago as well. Unfortunately, because I have ulcerative colitis, I cannot take anti-inflammatory, so just try and keep off my feet as much as possible. It didn't take too long to fully recover the last knee surgery, and I have great bend with it. Very happy, although I do know that I really had to push myself to do the exercises, but know that that is necessary for total recovery. Very happy.

Comment from: Denise, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I had TKR on the 17th Nov 2011. It was the best thing that I have had done. I was on Durogesic patches and Endone tablets for the pain before the operation and my leg was bowed, so I had a limp. I was operated on Thursday afternoon and was walking with a walking stick on Friday afternoon and went home Saturday morning. I went to physio a week later (I was doing exercises the hospital gave me) and they gave me new exercises, then I went back 3 weeks after the operation and they were so pleased with my progress that they didn't want me back again, I just had to keep up the exercises at home. I could fully extend my leg and could bend to 130 degree's which is apparently all you can expect after knee replacement. It has now been 6 weeks and I can bend it more and now just love walking pain free. I think being reasonably young (55 years) definitely helps with recovery. I have to have my right leg done eventually but at the moment it isn't giving me too many problems but it is bone on bone like the left one was. I am totally off all pain medication too and have been since the operation.

Comment from: Anna, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I had a total knee replacement on May 17,2011 I have been waiting 23 years to have this procedure due to both of my knees are bone to bone, I have limped, cried cursed for many years because of the pain, you know daily pain you just deal with it, then there is pain ok hurts a lot take the pill with some relief right, then pain you just don't walk can't hardly move nothing works but yet you have to go to work, so this is what I thought at least decrease some pain but after the Doctor got done with me I have had lateral release, injections, leg manipulation and I still cannot hardly walk my leg is always warm and I am only 50 and scared to death of losing my leg now I wish I had never ever had this done it hurts worse than it ever has and guess what he says it is all in my mind, right my mind says he hurt me and did not fulfill his professional promise but I have done everything I was supposed to but I am loosing what ROM I have and this is not fair, please someone help me find a true MD that can help!!!

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 01

I had total knee replacement on my left knee by doctors at James Haley veterans Hospital this I think may have been a fiasco. I hurt my knee parachuting in the military and was told in 1976 to have knee replacement but wasn't sure. In 2009 I had it done and all the years of suffering since 1967 were far better than my knee is now. I have constant pain and Drs. who think they did such a swell job but an almost imperceptible scar doesn't mean the inside was good. I have bone spurs and constant pain that they of course blame on me I ride my bike 6 miles a day for exercise but they say I don't get enough. Time for a civilian doctor.

Total Knee Replacement - Experience Question: Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.