Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes

What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?

Comment from: Cal, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: August 12

I am 76, I had polio at age 2, mostly left leg with some late effects, also known as post-polio syndrome (PPS), and muscle weakness in right leg. To resolve length discrepancy, staples were placed in femur head to retard growth of right leg. Unfortunately outside staples broke and allowed some growth on outside of joint, creating a significantly bowed leg. The remedy was to do a bone graft in tibia. Due to pain, I have worn a KAFO brace for 40 years to keep joint in alignment. Pain and loose joint has caused me to consider joint replacement. I have had x-rays and consultation with doctor and an appointment for more evaluation next week. I am very active and in good overall health.

Comment from: Tough Knee Ronnie, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 24

It is 3.5 months after total knee replacement (TKR). This has been an extremely challenging experience. I was very unprepared for the amount of pain and the lack of strength I had for the first two months. Somehow I expected to do way better than I did. I guess this was because I have always been a highly active person. I had phenomenal pain for the first two weeks. One of the toughest things has been dealing with the swelling and aching that appears every time I increase the duration or intensity of any of my exercises or activities. As the only way to get better is to push and push, I am having to deal with a fair bit of pain. My knee has felt a little wobbly, but that is very gradually getting better as the muscles strengthen. I still get lots of clicking noises. One of the worst things has been my fear that things aren't going right, that something is wrong.

Comment from: Annie J., 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

Arthritis damage and former injury sixty years ago. After fall off horse landing on knee it was damaged, and I needed a total knee replacement.

Comment from: Jerry, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 06

I have had both knees replaced this year, left one in March 2013, the other in August 2013. I was a caregiver for my wife for the ten years prior and could not risk the surgery so I waited. My wife passed away in November 2012, so I went ahead with the surgery. My left knee was bone on bone and was already starting to shift over to the side. Surgery was on Tuesday morning, I was home on Friday, therapy at home for three weeks, rehab for three and everything is great. Second knee was replaced in August, I was in surgery on Tuesday and home Thursday morning. I had therapy at home for three weeks and rehab for the next three weeks. Everything is great! I have almost no pain, maybe once a week a bit of stiffness or soreness. I am 69 and have gotten rid of my limp, I feel great.

Comment from: Ghris, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I am considering knee replacement surgery. I feel that I have no choice. I have had several series of injections in my left knee. The orthopedic surgeon mentioned to me a few years ago that I needed knee surgery and it was available when I was ready. At that time, I refused. Now I am more than ready. Every time that I go out, I have to hold tight to my husband's arm. I have fallen several times. The knee gives away when I least expect it. So, when I see the doctor next week, hopefully he will get me scheduled for the knee surgery. I can't wait to be able to walk again without depending on my husband to lead me around; and for the most part be pain free.

Comment from: Rick, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

I had my second scope surgery on my right knee 5 years ago. My knee was worse than before, so I decided to go with the TKR (total knee replacement). Prior to TKR, I had cortisone shots, which did help temporarily. I also had 4 Hyalgan shots and they did not work. My only option now was TKR and decided on a doctor that uses a procedure called, minimal invasive surgery or MIS. In this procedure, the muscles are not cut during surgery, hence a quicker recovery. I had my surgery last week and after 7 days, it does get better and better as far as pain.

Comment from: Rita, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

I had a total knee replacement two months ago in my left knee. I've suffered with both knees for the past three years and was diagnosed with osteoarthritis and torn meniscus. I'm female and 57 years old. Prior to the knee replacement I had arthroscopic surgery on both knees to repair torn meniscus and to try to clean up the arthritis. I had numerous cortisone shots and at one point had a series of injections for 5 weeks in a row. My knees just continually got worse and I was losing my quality of life along with it. I could no longer walk a grocery store to buy groceries among many other simple things that I had always taken for granted. It's been two months since my TKR and although it's still pretty sore I can tell a world of difference in it. If my right knee wasn't hurting so bad I would be one happy person for sure. I am still using a cane but I think it's mainly because of the right knee and my doctor doesn't want me to take a chance of falling. Next month I'll be having the right knee done. My doctor thinks I may only need a partial knee replacement in the right knee since it doesn't seem as bad as what the left was but I won't know for sure until the end of this month when he does some more x-rays. I am looking so forward to walking normal again.

Total Knee Replacement - Experience Question: Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.