Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes

What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?

Comment from: Mike, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 28

I am 73 years old and in reasonable shape with well-toned legs. I had total knee replacement 4 weeks ago today. I have previously had both hips replaced and both rotator cuffs repaired, and I thought I was good at dealing with pain and recovering quickly; till this surgery! In the past 2 or 3 days I have stopped taking Percocet and now rely only on Tylenol. The pain is diminishing but being able to get a good night's sleep is still an issue. I am doing outside physical therapy (PT) twice a week plus my at-home exercises. My PT guy was pushing me too hard, messing me up for a day or two each time so I told him to ease up and now the pain has dropped noticeably. I actually have concerns with how well the surgery was done, I feel like I have a brick in my knee. I am meeting with my surgeon in 2 days to review my before and after x-rays to ensure that he used the proper size implant; really! My pre-surgery issues were sporadic flare-ups and limitations on walking long distances or being on my feet for extended time (hours). I feel was conned into having this surgery done 'before it got worse'. Well, this surgery has been far worse than anything I was experiencing previously. My advice is to put this tough surgery off till u can barely walk.

Comment from: russ, 55-64 Female Published: January 27

I was having a 100 meter sprint with grandson, 10 years old, I am 63 and haven't tried sprinting in years. Needless to say I got about 10 meters before injuring my hamstring and thought somebody shot me in the backside. I went down in a screaming heap.

Comment from: BobK, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 20

Wear and tear that has eliminated cartilage and spawned arthritis was the reason for my total knee replacement.

Comment from: Snoodle, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I wish I knew why both of my knees were bone on bone so I had to have total knee replacement. I am not particularly overweight. I do not run or abuse my legs.

Comment from: Daveygee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 22

I woke up 24 hours ago with nausea, dizziness and bad headache. I walked around a few minutes and then began throwing up. I would feel better after throwing up (severe, projectile), go back to bed and within 30 to 45 minutes it would start again. I had one episode of diarrhea. I went to the emergency room and was put on an IV and given anti-nausea medicine which helped my gastroenteritis immensely. I have never had an episode like this and the nausea was unbearable. I was sent home a few hours later with anti-diarrheal and anti- nausea medicine. Twenty four hours later I am still very tired but after drinking a fresh tender coconut I am feeling much better.

Comment from: DawnB, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I'm 31 and about 7 or 8 weeks ago I started having back pain. Then it moved into my front lower pelvic area and then once again moved this time into my right hip so bad I couldn't lift my leg without horrible pain and had trouble sleeping. Then the pain started to spread into my leg. Very tight and crampy! In addition to the pain I had major bloating, the appearance of 6 or 7 months pregnancy, fatigue, hot flashes, and random headaches. After putting up with this for 5 weeks I finally caved in and went to urgent care. She did a full pelvic exam, Pap and urine test (negative). She could feel that something was going on with my right ovary. So she sent me for an ultra sound. The ultra sound showed something on my right ovary, two different technicians thought it was a 6 week old fetus! But I had a negative pregnancy test last week. Thirty minutes after my appointment my obstetrician/gynecologist called me and told me to rush to the emergency room right away for emergency surgery! After 7 hours in the waiting room they call me back and tell me the blood pregnancy test was also negative. So it must just me a hemorrhagic corpus luteum cyst. No surgery go home and call your obstetrician/gynecologist first thing in the morning for a follow up. She doesn't want to see me for 2 weeks! Eight weeks later I'm still exhausted and my leg (buttocks and hip) cramps are debilitating at times. And my hormones are out of control (I cried for 10 hours after the nurse made me feel crazy for trying to get an earlier appointment)! I have a hard time buying their diagnosis. But I haven't even got to talk to anyone about why or what this is and when or how I will feel better. Everyone said to talk to my obstetrician/gynecologist and she is seriously making me wait two weeks! So I had to self-diagnose by googling!

Total Knee Replacement - Experience Question: Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.