Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.

Comment from: mssox, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I had total knee replacement on my right knee on January 5th, so far so good. It is still painful but bearable; Norco did wonders but now I have to cut back so much it does not help. I need my left knee done and I'm curious as to why pain in left seems so much worse.

Comment from: Turtle, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 15

My husband had total knee replacement (TKR) 24/10/17. His flexion is at 121 degrees now. He was having good days but nights were restless. I told his physiotherapist (PT) when I had an appointment and my hubby had never told him that his knee is like an alarm clock that wakes him at 3:30 am every night. The PT 'flossed' his leg at his next visit and gave him an exercise to do on his own. This has helped tremendously and he is able to rest well and is back sharing our bed after months of sleeping in the spare room so he wouldn't disturb me. Google nerve flossing, it just might be the answer to some of you having sleeping issues.

Comment from: Joei, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I had left total knee replacement (TKR) in August 2017. After 21 days of rehabilitation my range of motion (ROM) was 65. I had manipulation done in October, ROM after have physiotherapy 3 times a week, barely got to 75. Severe scar tissue, and I opted not to have another manipulation after the first did not appear to work. Needless to say I have stiffness and am unable to totally bend the knee. I am in need of having my right knee done at this point. Now I can limp and drive but if the same thing happens with the right knee, I am totally incapacitated.

Comment from: katy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I had total knee replacement surgery on October 6th on my left knee. My physiotherapist (PT) said I did well at therapy. I had excellent range of movement and could easily walk. I did a month of pool exercise and do my exercises still. After 4 months I cannot walk without pain and stiffness. I wish I had never had this done, it has changed my life. I used to be active and fun loving. I hope this passes and I can get my life back.

Comment from: ginmansan, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I had my total knee replacement (TKR) on 1/10/2017, I'm 67 years old and it was the best decision I have ever made! I suffered with arthritis in my right knee for years before making this decision. The surgery went off with no problems and I was up and walking 3 hours after surgery! There is some pain with physical therapy but nothing that I can't tolerate. I am only taking pain medication on the days that I go to physical therapy; but, I do my exercises every day. My surgeon and the hospital staff were amazing and I feel sure that has had a lot to do with my success. The physiotherapist says that I am a poster child for TKR! Good luck to all of you make this decision. It is not one to be entered into lightly.

Comment from: keith, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 14

I had total knee replacement (TKR) on 06/12/2016. The operation went well. But I am still having difficulty sleeping. And the knee is very stiff after sitting for a while. I had my first TKR in 2014. If I had the choice again I would not have had them done.

Comment from: karen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I had total knee replacement on 11/14/16. Post-operative pain and spasm were horrible. Physical therapy (PT) had me up 1st night and I had extensive PT before being sent home next day. I started our patient PT on day 4 post operation. Pain was not much of a problem; stiffness and the feeling of bands around my knees on the inside were an issue. I went back to work January 5th, I'm a nurse. I am still walking stiff, have leg spasms at night and left foot drop. Am I ever going to walk normal again! Very discouraged and will never have my right knee done.

Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.