Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.

Comment from: TEST4ECHOMAN, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 24

I had total knee replacement on August 24th 2015. My first 2 weeks of physiotherapy (PT) was a joke, to be nice about it. Prior to the surgery I was in the gym 4 times a week doing cardio for 5 years, recumbent bike, heavy weights for upper body, and a pre-knee-replacement leg regimen. I knew recovery wasn't going to be easy. Today 89 days post-operation, I struggle to get to 120 degrees of ROM (range of motion), my leg buckles, is always about a 6 to 8 out of 10. I wake up all night with pain, my knee is always 'pooling', swelling above, below and on the sides; looks like Jabba the Hutt's baby. Doctors, surgeons and PT folks all say it's normal; this isn't normal!

Comment from: Linda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 24

Two years ago, I had a total knee replacement. Post-surgery, the pain I now have is much worse than pre-surgery. I've been living with this for 2 years! The doctor admits he used a replacement that is too big for me. Now, I am having trouble with my other knee, probably because I have to baby the bad leg.

Comment from: susiebella, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I could barely walk when I decided to have my total knee replacement. I had a total knee replacement on 8/31/15. The first two weeks the pain was pretty bad, and I didn't sleep much at all but by the third week I was doing very well. I had very little swelling. I took oxycodone for pain. I did not have general anesthesia I had a block with Versed. Either I was very lucky or my doctor was amazing. Today 11-17-15. I am a new person; pain free!

Comment from: Cindy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I am so disappointed after almost 5 months with total right knee replacement surgery. It has hurt daily since surgery. Surgery, post-surgery, and therapy went very well according to the surgeon, but I never got better. X-rays show no problem and doctor has no idea what is wrong. Can't really tell if I am running a fever or not because I take 800 mg Motrin every eight hours to help with the swelling and the throbbing. Yes it is still swollen. I am terrified it will not get better and I hope every day that it will get better!

Comment from: BJ8118, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

I had total knee replacement (TKR) in October of 2015, I am 6 weeks out and still in pain. I can manage it somewhat with Ibuprofen, but it is still quite painful and swollen. My doctor and physiotherapist say I am ahead of where I should be on exercise and motion. I am religious about doing the drill. I ice but then I am really cold and I seem to be cold since the surgery. No one says what normal is, or even what the relative expectations are. The only information I get is that everyone is different. Even a ball park figure would be helpful.

Comment from: Luckyladie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

It has been 3 weeks since my total knee replacement. I seem to have a problem with the tibial band on my replacement knee. I am due to be put into outpatient therapy soon. I am hoping we can work through the problem with the pain in the tibial band. I also have sciatica nerve pain in this leg.

Comment from: JRJ, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 16

Well, I had my total knee replacement on August 20th. One hour after being put in my room I was up and walking the halls. I went home 27 hours after surgery. Pain was insane, not the right medications to be sent home with. I called after 2 days of pain and trouble sleeping, so now I'm at that knee popping point that everyone says, oh it is ok, it's normal. I am still having pain when I get up from sitting, and I have to have other knee done in January. This is all from the pounding on my knee from my job, I drove a truck and was a delivery guy; jumping in and out of truck carrying heavy loads all day, and running up down stairs with those loads; 25 years' worth of it.

Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.