Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.

Comment from: Gordon N Z, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 04

May 2008 introduced my first total knee replacement (TKR); free of support after approximately 8 weeks. My second TKR was effected in September 2008 with similar results to the first replacement, but an infection two years later created the need to open the second TKR, but this knee did not heal with full functionality for approximately two years. April 2014 demanded the replacement of my left hip joint and I am currently at the point of self-support after six weeks following the operation. All pain has not declined and the thigh above the TKR still displays bruise coloring and minor swelling. Personal option of this medical technology is an amazing relief of the arthritic pain I suffered for a number of years. Now I am looking forward to the second hip joint replacement.

Comment from: dawnhudson67, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

Yesterday was 3 weeks since my total knee replacement. I"m doing pretty good. I was able to go upstairs to my bedroom on day 4. Pain has been manageable with medication. I was off walker on day 7 and off cane today. Staples came out today. I am bending at 107 with the goal of 120 minimum before therapy ends. I am going back to work half days starting next week for 1 week, then full time (I have moderate walking/standing at work). I still have some ankle and knee/lower thigh swelling. It really is my biggest annoyance at this point. Looking forward to getting the other one done and getting my life back. It has been a long 2 years since my knees went bad!

Comment from: L Bleu, 55-64 (Patient) Published: May 30

I am 55 years of age and had total knee replacement surgery on 03-31-2014. I saw where others mentioned burning (which I also had found; ice wrap was best help). My doctor told me that burning (on the inside of knee) was because the ligaments that did need cutting (to place new device) are in recovery mode and I should see improvement bit by bit, week by week (which I have seen, a lessening of burn sensation). As for stiffness, in a word he told me; exercise! There is just no way around it, and I too can only sleep 2 to 3 hours then my knee wakes me up! I miss being able to sleep through the night, and look forward to when (if?) ever I can again. I mostly do deep breathing, and just go with the flow, get up and walk the leg as needed each night. I TRY to remind myself that this too will pass. Now I am looking at 2nd knee getting done soon (in mid-June) and am both happy to get it over with and nervous about how that recovery will go, as well as continue with 1st leg. I know it is wait and see and that a lot will depend on me... making myself do my "homework" (exercises) as I only have half of this year's physical therapy to use for 2nd surgery (due to insurance.). Speedy Recovery to us all!

Comment from: OldHouseGirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I had bilateral knee replacement on March 4, 2014. Hospital stay was 5 days. As someone else said, this is not for the faint at heart. For the first couple of weeks I thought I had made a serious mistake. The worst part was the reaction to the pain medications. They made me so light-headed that I fainted in the hospital. Quit taking anything but Tylenol by the end of the 2nd week. The pain was tough but it got a lot better by the end of the 3rd week. Personally, for me the physical therapy (PT) was the easy part. None of the exercises were hard or any more painful than anything else. I iced my knees after PT and never really had any problems with swelling. At week 5 I was driving and back at work by week 6. At nearly 3 months out I"m doing great. The arthritis in my knees was extensive and extremely painful. While my knees are still somewhat stiff and sore, they continue to get better every day and I"m not taking anything for pain. I continue to do the PT exercises, ride the exercise bike and walk as much as I can. I really think my success is due to the surgeon. He did a fantastic job. I had 0-95 degrees range of motion before I even left the hospital.

Comment from: wanda, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I had total knee replacement (TKR) on April 8, 2014. It was painful and the pain medications made me so sick. I could not take them and go to therapy. I am six weeks in and am doing fair. My range is 135 but after I go to therapy my leg really hurts. I will be so glad when it gets well. I need the other knee fixed but as of today I would say no. Think long and hard before you have it done.

Comment from: w mack, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: May 30

I had a total knee replacement 4 months and 20 days ago and my knee is not getting any better. After 4 weeks of rehabilitation, my knee felt pretty good but then on week 5 I hit the wall and never got any better, but worse. My foot, ankle, and knee are still swollen and my doctor says I am doing great. I have had a lot of operations and I am very well educated and I know when something is getting worse.

Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.