Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.

Comment from: Hopeful, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

I am seven weeks past my total knee replacement and this is my first week back to work. Although physiotherapy was trying to prepare me to go back to work, all the walking and standing has been killing me. I don't sleep well at night because my knee and sides of my legs ache. The scar is super sensitive and the skin over my kneecap burns when you touch it, even with bed sheets. My knee remains feeling heavy, stiff and achy. And it doesn't feel like I'll ever be anywhere close to normal any time soon. The original pain is gone, but I didn't have any idea I would be trading it for something equally bothersome. I am still propped up by pain pills and muscle relaxers. I have been an obedient patient and have done all I've been asked, but it still seems like a long haul.

Comment from: lynn, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I had a total knee replacement on 4/6/16, it has been a little over two months, and it is still painful. Some days are better than others. I am going to physiotherapy, it is stiff at times and I have numbness in my foot. I also ice it a couple times a day. I have cut down on pain medications where some days I only take a half of pill and later in the day take Advil. Other days I will end up taking half of pill in the morning and another half in the evening. I really didn't think that it would take this long for a pain free recovery and I am very concerned because I am still using pain medications. My physiotherapist says it takes time.

Comment from: luke71352, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 10

I am 3 weeks post operation for total knee replacement yesterday. This is my fifth major knee rehabilitation so I'm kind of a pro at it now. I think the doctors don't do a good enough job with forming good patient habits pre-operation. If you are sedentary and out of shape you will have extreme difficulty, no question about it. People need to start working out, losing weight and strengthening and creating flexibility in the muscles and tendons around the surgical joint before the surgery, as best they possibly can. I realize this will vary with the individual but I believe it is absolutely critical to do as much in preparation as you can. Believe me it will pay off. I am probably in the worst shape of my life but I am already at 2 degrees extension, 125 degrees flexion, walking 2 miles per day and doing 10 to 12 miles every other day on the recumbent bike (best rehab tool in the book in my opinion). Yes, it is painful but the pain is manageable and without prescription drugs (If you are on oxycodone please toss it and clear your heads, people). As long as your doctor says you are ok full load bearing as tolerated, you are only limited by the mass situated above your neck.

Comment from: patio, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 09

I had a full knee replacement on my right leg in July 15 and recovered really quickly. I was chopping and carting wood at 5 weeks from date of surgery and the key was to hammer the exercises every day no matter the pain level. I got to 120 degrees in movement at 6 weeks post-surgery and was very happy with the procedure. So I decided to get the other one done at 3 months and in Nov 15 I had the left knee replaced. Immediately after the surgery I felt very different to the first surgery. Three days after surgery I managed 95 degrees of forced movement and the level of pain was far greater than the first surgery. I have experienced snapping of the knee for over 5 months, intense pain and to say that I was unhappy would be an understatement. Snapping of the knee has settled down at 24 weeks post-surgery, but I am still experiencing severe pain when walking more than 400 meters. If I had my time over again I would not have had the second surgery done and would have just stuck with the pain. Cold weather is making the pain worse.

Comment from: janice, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

I had a total knee replacement 6 years ago due to having a cartilage out when 23. My little toe is not working and flops and I have to massage the side if my leg as it goes numb and stiff. The knee does not bend more than half way and I am a swimmer! I mainly crawl! Despite exercise the bend never gets better. When I have pain in the operated knee it feels very bad. There is little muscle build up in that thigh and it looks 'older.' There is a swelling outside top of the knee which is no problem except unsightly. The knee always feels stiff. I have had unexplained pain in both feet since operation, with sensitivity in the sole and no hard skin for protection. There is a problem also in these prosthetics in that they are heavier and one has to be careful of tripping especially over the threshold. The brain does not register the new knee as being heavier. I have been told I need another replacement but I have full use of the other knee; and its mine! I have been taking pills with collagen type 11 and this seems to have helped a lot. My advice is to delay these interventions for as long as possible; these people are making tons of money out of them. Try other things and always exercise! Hope this helps anyone.

Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.