Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.

Comment from: Backyardmom, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I had my total knee replacement in 2008. For the first couple of years I did great; walking, dancing. Now since 2010 I have pain every minute of the day. Sleeping is hard. If I stand in one place for 10 minutes it locks up and the pain is unbearable. I have had therapy and went to a rehabilitation specialist who told me hers is the same, and to use a walker or wheel chair. I need the other knee done, but I can't deal with having chronic pain in both. It is worse than before I had it done.

Comment from: Christine, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I had my surgery for total knee replacement on 5/27/16. I am almost 12 weeks out and still having difficulties. I found out that they tore my piriformis muscle which affects your thigh, leg, and groin. It has caused a lot of delay in getting better. I am in therapy 2 times a week and every other day I work out on the bike for at least 25 minutes. I have lost over 30 lb since the surgery (I attribute to all the working out) but the pain is constant and walking a real challenge.

Comment from: Taffy1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

I had my knee replacement 3 years ago. I am in more pain than before the surgery. I have gone through the cost of therapy twice. From above my knee to my foot is swollen. Fluid was taken and it appears to be no infection. A large patch of skin around the incision has lost pigment. My knee has always looked too large as if the replacement was too large. I can't kneel but the doctor said I'm not supposed to. My knee clicks. I continue to pay my co-pay of 50.00 to get no answer. This doctor had my full trust since I was his patient for 5 years. His physician's assistant assisted in surgery, I have wondered how much of my surgery he did since he does many surgeries, 2 days a week. There's talk of revision I don't think I can go through another surgery.

Comment from: MeeMaa, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

I had a total right knee replacement on 3-15-2016. I stayed in hospital two days and left with a walker, a long blue stick that helped me lift my leg, and lots of pain. I have had a lot of physical therapy and am now on my own. I am still in pain when I stand up from a sitting position and the knee still feels like there is an ACE bandage around it. The right side of the knee seems to be a lot sorer than the other. The thing is even though I still have pain it is better than what I had. I am hoping it will get better soon. My doctor says it is normal and to allow time to heal.

Comment from: Sued, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

I had bilateral knee replacement in October 2013. My knees have never stopped hurting and tingling. Sometimes they are hot to the touch. My concern is possible allergic reaction to the metals. They aren't infected but have given me grief from day one. I was on bed rest with the motion contraption for a week. My activity is good and I am very active. We have stairs and they kill me.

Comment from: DB, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I had my right knee replaced on April 11. I have great flexion and extension but it feels like there is a band around it and it aches often. I ride 5 miles a day on bike. I really thought all pain would be gone by now but the ache is fairly constant. Wondering if I will be ache free at some point.

Comment from: Kylady, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I had a total knee replacement in January of 2015 and I am miserable. I walk with really bad limp and I am in pain and my leg is so heavy. It is very hard to get around, I have to make myself, and when I do sit down I hate getting back up because of the stiffness and the pain when I walk.

Comment from: Notretired@56, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I had a total knee replacement (TKR) on May 8, 2016. I knew within two weeks I had a problem, my knee was very unstable and in lots of pain. My CRP numbers were high. The surgeon aspirated to check for infection, there was none but it had a lot of inflammation. In October the surgeon discovered he had measured wrong and put the wrong spacer in. I had a revision in December. My knee is still not stable, my knee cap doesn't sit properly, my knee locks up, and the pain is excruciating while I try to unlock it. My surgeon has now referred me to another surgeon because he doesn't know what to do. He admits he did not pay close attention to placement of tendons and ligaments. I see the new guy in September. I have been off work for over a year. I just want my life back.

Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.