Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.

Comment from: 1971MGB, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 16

In June of 2013 I had a total knee replacement (TKR) of my right knee. My doctor sent me to get an MRI of my affected knee, then sent the MRIs off to a lab in Germany to have cutting guides made that fit securely onto my knee to make perfect cuts in preparation to installing my new knee. The doctor told me it was the easiest knee surgery he had yet done. Total surgery time was 55 minutes. This surgery is not for the faint of heart. I kid you not, there is lots of pain involved with this surgery. The pain medications made me so sick I was throwing up blood. After three days I switched to Advil. The secret to a successful TKR is no secret at all. Therapy is work, and ice! When you can, walk, flex, walk stairs, ride a bike, stationary or regular. I"m 10 months post operation, and doing great. I love my new knee.

Comment from: Deb J, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I had total knee replacement on March 19 this year. I had my first knee surgery when I was 17 years old and the doctor pulled my knee cap down too low, but I have lived with it until this year. I feel disappointed that I"m only at an 85 percent bend in my knee, straightening out is 2 percent almost there. Bending it is so hard and painful I have in home physiotherapy twice a week. I don"t feel like I"m making much progress.

Comment from: Paul, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I had a left knee medial (half knee) replacement on the 30 Nov 2013. All was going well until about 6 weeks ago when I developed a sharp pain in the knee for several steps each time I start walking after rest. I have seen the surgeon again who took x-rays and says all appears to be okay. The surgeon says it must be a soft tissue problem that could take up to a year to recover. I"m not convinced as the pain is severe and seems to be deteriorating.

Comment from: Pianokay, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I had total knee replacement of left knee on 12/3/13 and so pleased with the results. After being very sick due to pain pills, evening of 2nd day I started using only Tylenol for pain and did great. I used walker one week, cane one week, and walking on my own since. I very faithfully did my physiotherapy and went for 11 sessions. I am going to see the doctor this week about doing my other knee right away. So happy I did it!

Comment from: Brian, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 01

I had a total knee replacement in May 2014. I had lots of pain in the 1st couple of weeks. I had stitches out but on the day of my one month checkup, my knee locked up and went from 100 degree bend down to 28. I went back to the hospital next day to get knee manipulation. I was in hospital for another 8 days. After a few months of lots of pool and physiotherapy, walking and bike riding, I was back up to 118 degree bend. Hard work paid off and I'm very glad I had it done. Everyone at the physiotherapist have different stories. All good in the end.

Comment from: jms41001, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I had total knee replacement (TKR) 2 months ago and have been in pain ever since. I have been trying to exercise every day and take long walks. I have to return to work in 3 weeks and I don"t know how I am going to be able to do my job. It has been a very stressful time in my life, I wish I had not had the surgery done.

Comment from: sue, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I had my total knee replacement (TKR) on 6th March 2014; the best thing I have done, the pain has gone. It got to a stage when my knee felt like it was going to blow out, the pain was awful. I"m so grateful to my doctor for doing the surgery.

Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.