Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.

Comment from: shelly58, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I had total knee replacement (TKR) on 7/26/2016. I have regretted it every day since. The pain is unbearable most of the time. I have fallen twice since surgery. Now I am back in physical therapy. I am not able to work, and I am worried as to what I will do next. Unless I can perform all the duties of my job I cannot work. It has led me to file for disability. I am a 58 year old female. Depression is starting to get the best of me.

Comment from: Mark, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 05

I had a total knee replacement on 2/29/16. I had a lot of pain and swelling after I got out of the hospital, but that was expected. It's been 10 months now and I still have a lot of pain and swelling. My doctor does not seem to think it is a big thing but it sometimes interferes with my ability to do my job. I ice daily, twice if I can, but it does no good. If I sit for more than 5 minutes my knee has trouble moving when I need to walk but quickly limbers up with about 30 steps. The long term pain and swelling has me concerned since it has been almost a year since my surgery.

Comment from: Dale, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 15

I had a total knee replacement on 9/16/16, it wasn't what I expected as far as how intensive it was but was determined to power through it. I have full range of motion, but have pain below my joint, shin, and ankle, and swelling. My main problem is standing (like cooking or doing dishes) the swelling happens fast and hurts. I am pretty active so I try to walk it off, but once it swells there is not an effective way to reverse it. I also have pain (lots) going down stairs but not up. I am hoping this is normal because my surgeon says I am the poster child for knee replacement. I'm better off now but wow, didn't think it would take this long to get back to at least 50 percent of normal. Maybe my expectations were out of line. I am going to power through it!

Comment from: Jersey, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

Two months post total knee replacement I am doing great. But past 2 weeks I have severe pain in knee, and walking is most painful. The doctor x-rayed and checked all out, and said I seemed fine. He thought it might be inflammation, so I am on prednisone. Now 1 full day, and feeling so much better. So thankful to have some relief.

Comment from: Randy, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 27

I had a bilateral (both) total knee replacement on July 28th. I was out of the hospital on the 3rd day and sent to a rehabilitation hospital where I had physiotherapy (PT) twice a day. After about a week I was sent home. I had home PT for 1 1/2 weeks and now visiting local PT place three times a week. Most of the pain was gone in a few weeks. I came off opioids in the second week. No stiches, surgeon glued the incision, and it has healed very quickly. All in all the surgical process was great, but my recovery is now 3 months, and I still have little to no balance and need a cane, except in the house. The muscles in the legs are weak and minimal walking or standing produces pain. I'm glad I did it, but the process is much longer than I anticipated.

Comment from: Jimmie, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 27

I am having total knee replacement next week 11/4/16 I have put off for number of years but now my way of life is not good. I spend 95 percent of my time in bed because of pain. Hope this helps. The doctor said he would do my right knee and then left. I wanted to do both at one time but doctor said it would be too much for me.

Comment from: Kirstykht, 55-64 (Patient) Published: October 27

I had my total knee replacement on 10/10/2016 so am just past two weeks. I had major pain in the hospital and difficulties sleeping as most of us do. I got out of hospital on day 4 which is the first day I did any physiotherapy. I was in constant pain, but was put on something like a stand trolley that you sit back on two cheek things that act like a gate. This was because I had major problems with pain and had tests like x-ray, ECG, blood, and ultrasound. These tests took a while to coordinate but. They came back all ok, so was able to see physiotherapy. I am not able to drive yet for a while. Just wondered if others were feeling same as me. I feel shattered, worn out, and lethargic. I am not sleeping soundly so that could be the reason why I am so tired. Just generally feel awful. I can walk without shoes but I don't think I would manage outside house without walking sticks as I don't feel safe. I wonder if anyone else feels like me, I feel that I'm in for a further period of problems.

Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.