Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.

Comment from: Kayota, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I had a total left knee replacement on July 26, 2016. I fell that my pain is worse now than before the surgery. The knee pain is going but I have severe pain down the front of my leg. When I get up from sitting or riding in car I cannot move, it takes me a few minutes for me to be able to start walking, the pain down the front of my leg is so bad that it takes me a while before I can start to begin to walk. Standing is difficult too because of the pain after I stand for a little bit. I am just now starting to sleep at least 3 to 4 hours a night. When I move my foot in the up position there is pain up the front of my leg. If I am doing any physical work or I know that I am going shopping, I take 2 hydrocodone pills to be able to make it for a couple hours. It has been 11 weeks since my surgery. I wish I could turn back time and never had this surgery done.

Comment from: Old Paramedic, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 07

I had total right knee replacement on July 18th, 2016. I was off the pain medications at 3 weeks and back to work at 4 weeks. I did 6 weeks of physiotherapy. Now at 2 1/2 months, I have pain occasionally in the back of the knee but nothing like before the surgery. I'm scheduled for the left knee in December and am looking forward to it. While I was in the hospital, everyone told me to keep my pain level below 4/10. When I did physiotherapy, I told them that I would not accept pain above 4/10 and the physiotherapy ended up being productive and very tolerable. Don't let them put you through agony.

Comment from: Dennis, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 04

I had my total knee replacement on the 9th July, 2016. After the 1st 6 weeks, the pain started to settle down, then I went to see my surgeon 8 weeks post operation. Since then, my knee has so much fluid and the swelling has got worse. I continue to ice it and keep my leg elevated when I get back from my office job. I am taking anti-inflammatory medication but it's not helping. I wonder if I should go back to the surgeon to see about draining the knee to remove the fluid.

Comment from: Ashmore, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 04

I had bilateral total knee replacement 08/29/2016. It is less than 5 weeks now. I mowed my yard yesterday for the first time. I am heading back to work on the 5 week anniversary. Other than sleeping and the unfamiliar sensation (no pain) around my knees, I feel fine. The first 4 weeks were by no means easy, but certainly, not nearly as difficult as I had imagined. I had a great team at the hospital. I would not hesitate to have this done, in hindsight.

Comment from: dml, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

I had my total knee replacement end of July and I went through the same excruciating pain with in home and outpatient physiotherapy. I finally told them they need to go slower and/or easier because I couldn't take the pain. I was crying also and it only hurt me to get sleep even though I was only getting 1 1/2 hours at a time. They did slow it down and told me it would take longer. I am at my 8 week mark and am at my 2nd week full time at work. For the most part it's more pressure not pain. Good luck and I do/did have the same pain.

Comment from: Karey, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 18

My husband had total knee replacement surgery on 9/28/16. He is in so much pain that I don't know how to help him except look up things to manage the pain on here. I have read through many stories but have not read anything that is helpful in the pain management area.

Comment from: dekohl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I just had a total knee replacement on 9/6/16. The one thing that I just do not understand is that it is a fact my knee is swollen and I still have the stitches in, but the therapist continues to force my knee to bend to the point of excruciating pain. The pressure is immense. I understand that they need to get it moving but to the point of me screaming makes me want to just quit.

Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.