Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.

Comment from: BBC623, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I had a total left knee replacement on 4/12/16. After two nights in the hospital and very minimal physical therapy (PT), I went home without even being able to lift my left leg without assistance. That first night was horrible. No sleep at all. For two weeks I had PT for about 30 minutes tops! I am still in pain and can only bend that knee to 90 degrees. I'm setting up outpatient PT next week. Not only does it still hurt like crazy, but it feels tight around the incision. I am disappointed. But I am willing to give it a few more weeks before I give my final grade to the procedure.

Comment from: Martin, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 29

My experience with a total knee replacement mirrors the time frame for recovery on this website. Left knee was damaged 30 years ago in sporting injury and after 2 reconstructions and several scrapes it would go no further at age 55. I had the operation in Feb 2016. I was back at work (office job), driving (auto) and walking unaided after 4 weeks. My key to recovery was a good exercise bike at home, pedal backwards with the seat as high as possible first and then work your seat down and then pedal forward. This also helps build those faded quadriceps. Also jamming your foot back under a normal seat and using the weight of your body to stretch the knee forward is a great exercise, especially if you are at work. I'm now 9 weeks post operation and have 112 degrees flex and aiming for 120. Pain and swelling has largely gone. I am off to the golf course soon.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

I had right total knee replacement done 02/23/2016. There was a lot of post-operation pain. It has been over 9 weeks, and there is still a good bit of pain and stiffness, along with swelling. I am now also having problems with my back due to the way I walk. I can't walk for very long, without pain. I can't even go to the grocery store. I regret having the knee done. It might have been painful, but at least it worked better then than now.

Comment from: Judy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

I had total knee surgery on 3-14-16. I have to say the pain was bad, I didn't want to do it ever again. I was also dealing with a very bad back and a spur on my other foot that I got from too much pressure trying not to walk on my other knee. I am still a caregiver in a hospital and not old enough to retire yet. I have pushed through most of my pain. I do my own therapy and it is still stiff when I get up. I have shooting pains sometimes but it is all getting better every day. I wouldn't want to do it again though. I try to push myself a little harder every day. So hang in there.

Comment from: Still in Pain, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 27

I had a total knee replacement in my left knee on 12-30-2014. The surgeon put in an incorrect part and had to go in the same day to replace the part. I followed all prescribed recovery procedures and exercises and I am still in excruciating pain 16 months later. I have gone back to exercising in the pool but I am not seeing much improvement. The doctor attributes it to my obesity and refuses to consider any other cause. I am so sorry I ever had the surgery and will not be having the other knee done even though it was advised.

Comment from: nrash, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I had my left knee replaced in mid-January and things were going fine with recovery. Then two weeks ago, I went to a convention which required a lot of walking and standing, more than I had done since the surgery. Understandably, the knee swelled up, but it's now been 2 weeks since then. I have rested, iced it repeatedly and elevated as often as possible. The swelling goes down but returns as soon as I am up on it again.

Comment from: rehab king, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 26

After total knee replacement, I spent 2 days in hospital walking with crutches. I went home and visiting physiotherapist put me through therapy and designed self-therapy for several weeks. It was not easy but I sucked it up as best I could, with ice pack on my knee and hot pack on my IT (iliotibial) band at night hoping that I might get some sleep. No pain no gain as you have to quickly break up the scar tissue that forms after the surgery. Six weeks out I was playing tennis again. Rehabilitation is everything.

Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.