Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.

Comment from: Grams6charms , 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

I had total knee replacement (TKR) back in March 2016. I had the worst pain ever for 5 or 6 months after. Physiotherapy was done, my knee continued to fail and I insisted on MRI to figure out reason for the swelling, horrible pain, and inability to sleep due to pain. I finally got test done only to hear I needed to see a revision specialist to fix my knee. I had to undergo yet another knee surgery to replace a part, add more cushion due to knee instability and had my knee drained of fluid. I ended up with blood clots behind my calf and was put on Coumadin for 3 months. I'm 4 months out from my 2nd surgery and still experiencing brutal pain, swelling and muscle spasms. Given a choice now, I can honestly say I'd never go through this ordeal ever again. I'm so frustrated and angry with these 2 knee surgeries which has left me in worse shape. I also know many people who've had the TKR and have done amazing. I just cannot believe mine went so wrong.

Comment from: kentuckyguy, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 09

I am a 47 year old male who had the original knee replacement in 2010. Last spring I noticed extreme loosening of my joint. I went to my doctor and he said that I need a revision. I got a 2nd opinion and the other doctor said the same thing. My doctor and I discussed several different options. We came to the conclusion that a thicker poly surface would be all that I need (I can't mention and manufacturer's names or what type of knee that I had). Anyway, the company was supposed to make a special poly surface for me and they ended up making it wrong, and it was never used. Instead the doctor put in a standard poly surface on December 20th, 2016. Eight days later I started to have swelling and fluid buildup in the knee. I went in and the doctor pulled fluid off the knee and had it tested (no infection). The fluid kept coming back and I had one little spot on my incision about the size of a blackberry that would not heal. After about 6 times drawing fluid off the knee (and scratching his head every time saying he didn't know what was going on), the doctor swabbed the area that didn't heal and the results came back as MRSE. He did another surgery the next day to clean it out and put me on Bactrim antibiotics. Ten days later I had to go to the emergency room (ER) where my doctor works. They sent a physician's assistant (PA) in and started drawing fluid off my knee. He started under the knee cap area. After he got done with the knee cap area he backed the needle out a bit and redirected into the center of my joint (syringe still hooked up with fluid from the knee cap area) and went into the center. I kept having all kinds of problems with the fluid buildup and finally asked to be sent to another doctor. The knee doctor I saw within 2 day of my last fluid draw, told me that my entire knee joint was going to have to come out and an antibiotic spacer put in. The knee was taken out and the spacer was put in March 16th. I am now infection free and planning my new knee June 29th. With this explanation of what has taken place, I wonder if the doctor didn't do enough to find out what my problem was. I also think that the PA in the ER transferred the infection to the center of my knee joint by using the same needle and syringe when drawing the fluid out. Thanks for any opinion.

Comment from: Daiseybel, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I had total knee replacement 2 weeks ago. I used a cane for the first week, now nothing. I never took any drugs because I needed to drive although I wish I had. When I had the 2 week checkup yesterday I did ask for something for which the doctor said since I went so far with none I don't need any. I started physiotherapy (PT) 2 days after as I was home the next day. After 1 week I started walking 1/2 mile a day. It takes what seems like forever. Today I upped it to 3/4 mile. I ride a stationary bike 10 minutes in PT and at home 3 minutes 3 times a day. I am in pain and when I sit more than 20 minutes my knee is stiff. I believe that we have to be part of our recovery so yes, I push myself more than needed. It is either that or lie in bed all day. Very unhappy but looking forward.

Comment from: Tinker, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 30

I had a total knee replacement approximately two months ago. I had the normal pain and swelling to be expected post surgery. I progressed fairly rapidly and was walking without aids in a few weeks. I seem to have plateaued over the past few weeks though. I do the recommended exercises most days and have been seeing a physiotherapist once a week although I am finished now. I still have some pain and swelling, still limp and still have some difficulty sleeping. The doctor said to concentrate my exercises on range of motion as I am at 7 degrees extension and a normal expected bending.

Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.