Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.

Comment from: Notretired@56, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I had a total knee replacement (TKR) on May 8, 2016. I knew within two weeks I had a problem, my knee was very unstable and in lots of pain. My CRP numbers were high. The surgeon aspirated to check for infection, there was none but it had a lot of inflammation. In October the surgeon discovered he had measured wrong and put the wrong spacer in. I had a revision in December. My knee is still not stable, my knee cap doesn't sit properly, my knee locks up, and the pain is excruciating while I try to unlock it. My surgeon has now referred me to another surgeon because he doesn't know what to do. He admits he did not pay close attention to placement of tendons and ligaments. I see the new guy in September. I have been off work for over a year. I just want my life back.

Comment from: jlbj, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 13

I had total knee replacement on May 31, 2016. I was able to walk a mile unassisted after 6 days and was off opioids after 9 days. I've followed an aggressive program of physical therapy and am generally pain free. My biggest issue is constipation which remains a problem. Additionally, it took about 5 weeks before I could sleep through the night. Listen to your doctor, be actively engaged in physical therapy, and use lots of ice.

Comment from: Kate, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 13

My total knee replacement (TKR) surgery was on 2/3/16. Although I am happy I had TKR of my right knee, I am still dealing with stiffness and some swelling. This is annoying and pretty much the worst of it. I have full range of motion and can bend it as well as my good knee. I do have a little pain doing stairs or if I exercise too much. It's nothing horrible and can be treated with ice and anti-inflammatory medications. I am not as active as I would like to be at this point but am hopeful this will change as time goes on.

Comment from: steelback, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 08

I am on day 7 after my total knee replacement. I am walking around the house without a cane or crutches, and walk to the shops about 50 yards. I seem better during the morning but in the afternoon my knee starts to ache a bit. I am sleeping a bit better now, would feel a lot better without the pain and a slight stiffness in the afternoon. I walked unaided last Sunday for about 1 mile, I stopped a couple of times. I am just wondering if I am ahead of schedule or not.

Comment from: Cougar, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 06

I am 26 days post operation for total right knee replacement. Sleeping in bed is quite a pain challenge; I can't find any position without pain. I must take pain medicine twice a day for severe pain relief and to tolerate therapy, which is brutal. Icing right after therapy does bring some temporary relief. I am always feeling tired and can't stand for very long. Prior to surgery, I worked out regularly at gym. I am still using a walker. I do feel that I am getting better, but very, very slowly.

Comment from: doubleknees, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 19

I am five weeks into a total knee replacement and have no trouble during the day but at night my knee throbs on the left front side and keeps me awake. I have stopped taking the heavy drugs and am relying only on Advil about 400 mg at night and every 5 or 6 hours. The intermittent pain also keeps me awake.

Comment from: Kerry1, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I am having a total right knee replacement in one week and am obviously apprehensive. I have had so much pain leading up to this surgery. I am having a spinal block and Versed for anesthesia. I will be recovering at home with help, home care and physiotherapy. I have had several surgeries so I understand that kind of pain, I am also an LPN (licensed practical nurse) with some orthopedic experience but it is different when you are on the other side of the fence. Thank you.

Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.