Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.

Comment from: DB, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I had my right knee replaced on April 11. I have great flexion and extension but it feels like there is a band around it and it aches often. I ride 5 miles a day on bike. I really thought all pain would be gone by now but the ache is fairly constant. Wondering if I will be ache free at some point.

Comment from: Kylady, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I had a total knee replacement in January of 2015 and I am miserable. I walk with really bad limp and I am in pain and my leg is so heavy. It is very hard to get around, I have to make myself, and when I do sit down I hate getting back up because of the stiffness and the pain when I walk.

Comment from: Notretired@56, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I had a total knee replacement (TKR) on May 8, 2016. I knew within two weeks I had a problem, my knee was very unstable and in lots of pain. My CRP numbers were high. The surgeon aspirated to check for infection, there was none but it had a lot of inflammation. In October the surgeon discovered he had measured wrong and put the wrong spacer in. I had a revision in December. My knee is still not stable, my knee cap doesn't sit properly, my knee locks up, and the pain is excruciating while I try to unlock it. My surgeon has now referred me to another surgeon because he doesn't know what to do. He admits he did not pay close attention to placement of tendons and ligaments. I see the new guy in September. I have been off work for over a year. I just want my life back.

Comment from: jlbj, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 13

I had total knee replacement on May 31, 2016. I was able to walk a mile unassisted after 6 days and was off opioids after 9 days. I've followed an aggressive program of physical therapy and am generally pain free. My biggest issue is constipation which remains a problem. Additionally, it took about 5 weeks before I could sleep through the night. Listen to your doctor, be actively engaged in physical therapy, and use lots of ice.

Comment from: Kate, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 13

My total knee replacement (TKR) surgery was on 2/3/16. Although I am happy I had TKR of my right knee, I am still dealing with stiffness and some swelling. This is annoying and pretty much the worst of it. I have full range of motion and can bend it as well as my good knee. I do have a little pain doing stairs or if I exercise too much. It's nothing horrible and can be treated with ice and anti-inflammatory medications. I am not as active as I would like to be at this point but am hopeful this will change as time goes on.

Comment from: Mooselover, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I had a total knee replacement 8 years ago, now my knee doesn't bend right going down steps. It is painful to try to do steps. I have very sharp stabbing pain on the outside of my thigh. I thought having my knees replaced was going to give me a new lease on life, boy, was I wrong!

Comment from: doubleknees, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 19

I am five weeks into a total knee replacement and have no trouble during the day but at night my knee throbs on the left front side and keeps me awake. I have stopped taking the heavy drugs and am relying only on Advil about 400 mg at night and every 5 or 6 hours. The intermittent pain also keeps me awake.

Comment from: steelback, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 08

I am on day 7 after my total knee replacement. I am walking around the house without a cane or crutches, and walk to the shops about 50 yards. I seem better during the morning but in the afternoon my knee starts to ache a bit. I am sleeping a bit better now, would feel a lot better without the pain and a slight stiffness in the afternoon. I walked unaided last Sunday for about 1 mile, I stopped a couple of times. I am just wondering if I am ahead of schedule or not.

Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.