Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.

Comment from: moulder, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I had a total knee replacement the end of November 2013 and since then I have been in pain. The knee is very stiff I do the exercises which hurt but after sitting a while the knee is stiff again. It hurts to walk.

Comment from: VICKI, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I had a total knee replacement on September 25 2013.My knee is till stiff and I have pain and swelling. My pain feels like needles in different spots on my thigh. I'm really worried about a blood clots!

Comment from: barry, 65-74 (Patient) Published: March 06

I had a replacement 14 months ago. Now I have pain in my knee and knocking when I bend it. The pain is starting to get worse each day. Now that I am on Medicare the doctor will not see me. Beware who you choose.

Comment from: Babsone, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I am in chronic pain three years after knee replacement, day and night. My knee will buckle without warning. I have not been able to get any helpful answers.

Comment from: joe, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 20

I have had bleeding in the knee since total knee replacement and the doctor does not know why.

Comment from: TCgary42, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I am 13 days out after having a left total knee replacement. It has been the worst thing I have ever had to deal with. The pain is unbelievable and I can't sleep, I can't stand to walk, the majority of the pain is in the inside right part of the knee. I have had five prior operations to clean out the knee and repair the tears and such, even a partial that didn't last three years. I do physical therapy but it doesn't help. I suffer from sever degenerative arthritis.

Comment from: debra, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I'm a 57-year-old woman who has a very difficult job on my feet all the time. I had my left knee replaced I have been in excruciating pain. It's been 4 months and my surgeon acts like I'm faking my pain. I'm trying not to take pain medications but have to have them when I get off work and to sleep on. Thinking of getting second opinion!

Comment from: Gigi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I had a total knee replacement (TKR) on July 1, 2013. There was some pain and swelling in the knee. I'm mobile, walking, doing physical therapy twice a week. It was hard. I never felt that kind of pain before and cried a lot. I will not be getting the other knee done. I hope to return to work soon.

Comment from: kykelly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I am 53 with MS. I had 7 previous knee surgeries on the right due to an initial accident skiing in my teens. Also working 26 years as a RN didn't help. I had a TRK, three weeks ago. I came from the recovery room at 10pm and was up at 8 am walking.

Comment from: Lucky 10, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 20

I'm entering my fifth week post knee replacement. After 10 surgeries on my knee, this is by far toughest of all from a recovery and pain management standpoint. Sleeping is very difficult and far more challenging than my prior partial recovery.

Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.