Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.

Comment from: VAGal, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I had a right total knee replacement on 27 November, 2013. I had eight months of physical therapy. So 13 months later I'm in no better shape than before I had it done. I am still in pain and my knee is still swollen. My doctor has no advice for me and keeps saying it takes time. I wonder what went wrong. I'm sorry I ever had this done! I'm seeking a new surgeon.

Comment from: BigRed, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

I had total knee replacement of left knee on 12/12/2014; I am 53 years old. Original injury was a catastrophic football injury followed by reconstructive surgery in 1980. First week post-surgery was very painful, and any movement would escalate to a 10 pain level and take several hours to subside. On day 14 post surgery, I started walking without walker but using a cane just in case. Home therapy is going well, it is painful during therapy but pain subsides shortly after therapy is done. I use an ice machine about 12 hours per day, and I firmly believe this has helped in my recovery. I rented a machine locally, and bought one on eBay for $30. Best money ever spent. Every day I am getting more range of motion and feeling less pain. One week after surgery I regretted the procedure due to the pain; now I am very happy to have been fixed up. I am looking forward to water aerobics as soon as my wound is 100 percent healed and am hoping to start riding the stationary bike in a few weeks.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I had total knee replacement on July 11, 2014, and wish I had never had it done. I'm at almost 5 months and still have severe pain, can't walk without a cane, have pitted edema with extreme heat round my knee. I have seen the doctor twice, who is stating that it is normal for a knee replacement. My knee felt better before the surgery, I had mild pain, and was able to walk without a cane. I can't believe people think this was the greatest thing they have ever done. Walk a day in my shoes and I bet you will change your mind.

Comment from: Cathy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I had a total knee replacement on August 20, 2014. It went well, but I still have pain above the kneecap, and a lot of stiffness which makes it a bit hard to walk. I explained it to my doctor but he seems to think I should have no pain and looks at me like I'm crazy. He also cleared me to go back to work but I can't walk but a few yards and have to sit because of the pain above the knee.

Comment from: Jobart, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

I had bilateral knee replacement six weeks ago. I was in hospital 3 days and rehabilitation 10 days. I still have a lot of stiffness and pain. The quadriceps muscles tighten up so much. I am in physical therapy and am doing great according to them. I don't feel great though. I tire very easily. I am no longer on a walker and am driving. My husband thinks I should be further along and doing more. He has never had surgery and can't possibly know how it feels. He likens it now to sore muscles. Whenever I walk very far or do too much I'm in pain.

Comment from: princess, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I had total knee replacement on 10/14/14. I was in recovery the entire first day due to vomiting of morphine and high blood pressure. Doctor later gave me shots of Dilaudid which worked very well but, unfortunately, you cannot be discharged home with it. The hospital gave me oxycodone and long acting OxyContin. However, due to my asthma it made breathing very difficult so I had to stop those medicines. I now find relief with muscle relaxers, Percocet, and a little Tylenol. I am now 6 days out and walk very well with a walker and can even walk without it. You have to exercise or you get very stiff and develop scar tissue. Luckily I have a good health insurance which allows me a home physical therapist 5 times a week. This operation is definitely not for the timid. It is a lot of hard work but I know it will be worth it. I am 61 years old and look forward to getting my life back.

Comment from: Lilly Pad, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I am two months post total knee replacement (TKR). I started home physical therapy (PT), right after hospital discharge. I have been doing outpatient PT, three times a week for the past month. No strong pain medicines, for the last month. I was ready to get off that horrible stuff. I still have daily stiffness/pain level 1, especially after exercise. I am stuck on range of movement of about 110. Can't seem to get better. I used a walker first two weeks and cane until 8 weeks. I still take it with me on long walks. I've been driving since week 7.

Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.