Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.

Comment from: antje, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 18

Four weeks ago I had a total knee replacement. I am doing great and way ahead of the game. I'm having my other knee done in two weeks. I had almost no pain, what a joy that was. I had a great surgeon and physical therapy was painless.

Comment from: Marsha, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I am 44 and have needed both knees replaced for over 15 years. Sports injuries and arthritis finally brought me to the point that I had no quality of life. I put it off as long as I could. On Dec. 10, 2013, I had bilateral knee replacements! Best thing I ever did. I was in hospital for 3 days, then directly home. I had home health therapy. Two weeks later, I traveled in a car for 3.5 hours to visit family for the holidays. At 4 weeks post operation, I boarded a plane and went back to work. Rehabilitation is the key! I could not be happier that I got them both done at the same time.

Comment from: jinxed knee, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I had a partial knee replacement 2004 which went in sideways because it was bigger than the space available. I learned to tolerate the spatial disproportion and alignment problems could be controlled with special (power steps) inserts in my shoes. This kept me moving without pain and less instability until 2013 when it started to act like the knee wanted to dislocate. A total knee replacement was done -at first with success. My sense of where my foot was at was back. But my muscle strength could not gain a full leg lifting position without pain and a slight lag in movement. A year has gone, my knee seems to have more pain and more “pieces of movement" with each exercise.

Comment from: badkneeguy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 11

At age 59, I was experiencing pretty severe knee pain; tried the usual NSAIDS with no relief and finally hobbled to my orthopedist and asked for help (he has done 5 joint surgeries for me in the past). I was surprised that x-rays showed that I needed both knee joints replaced. I"m a pretty healthy, active guy and scheduled the surgery. I would guess that I"m pretty close to being an ideal surgical candidate, other than urinary frequency and arthritic back pain, I"m pretty healthy. The knee replacement process was a nightmare. Anesthesia was supposed to be given by an anesthesiologist as promised by my orthopedist. On the day of surgery I was told that a nurse with some anesthesia training (certified registerednurseanesthetist-CNRA) would actually be doing my case! I have a medical degree and this just isn"t right (she knew little/nothing about anesthesia beyond her RN skills). Finally my orthopedist intervened and brought in a real anesthesiologist, who was managing 4 rooms at once and I" expected to consent to this type of anesthesia! My orthopedist agreed that most patients accept this dangerous ACT (anesthesia care team) model. Basically the patient is getting a nurse, yes CRNA are nurses, not physicians, to administer, monitor their anesthesia. If anything goes wrong, you have a nurse not a physician managing your care.

Comment from: lee, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 04

I had TKR (total knee replacement) on January 6, 2014. I cannot sleep for more than 1 hour. I am doing therapy with home health care, I walk with a limp, use a cane, do two sessions daily. I will start sessions next week at a clinic. I have continuous pain and swelling, so far not a positive experience.

Comment from: KPer71, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 27

I had my right knee replaced in 2001 and my left knee replaced in 2005. Both knees are performing as advertised and I am pleased. Post-operation rehab and exercise are essential for a good recovery. The only problem with my knees is that I have pain when kneeling due to the new metal knee parts pressing on my natural kneecap (with all the nerves). Inconsequential when thinking about mobility.

Comment from: Loraine, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I had a full knee replacement 16 months ago but it's still swells and feels stiff sometimes. I am in need of having my other leg done but I don't if I should or not as I can't kneel down on the knee I've had done so I'm worried that I will be in the same trouble if I have the second knee done.

Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.