Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.

Comment from: paulrt, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 23

I had my first total knee replacement in September 2009 and was quite happy with it until 1 year ago when I was getting a great amount of pain over the kneecap. After visiting the surgeon I went into hospital and had a button fixed to the underside of the kneecap. This solved the problem and now I am to have my other knee replaced. To anyone out there thinking of having this operation, go for it. It will ease your pain and give you better movement.

Comment from: Jim, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 23

I am 11 weeks into my recovery from total knee replacement. The pain for the first 2 weeks was awful but I kept up with my exercise. I am now down to 3 times 30 mg dihydrocodeine per day. I can walk short distances unaided but take one crutch when I'm out and about. I have a range of 0 to 100 degrees bend. So far I am very happy with my progress as my operated leg is better than the other which is being done at a later date. My only concern is that there is still swelling in my leg but I understand this is normal.

Comment from: Linda, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I've had custom knee replacement on December 14, 2015. I'm still having lots of stiffness and sometime feel as though my knee is freezing up. I am still in quite a lot of pain. I went to physiotherapy (PT) rehabilitation and am supposed to have home PT but they haven't shown up yet, just to do an assessment. I can't bend my leg as well or as far back as I could and that worries me. Sometimes I'm walking and my knee just gives out.

Comment from: whippy, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 16

I had total knee replacement 7 months ago and am still in lots of pain, 4 out of 10 for pain. The doctor says I am slow in recovery. I am having trouble sleeping at night and very concerned that acceptable recovery may not be possible.

Comment from: Huddad, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 11

I had total knee replacement 1/14/16 and have been religious about my in-home therapy, and my range of motion is very good although my knee straightness is 5 percent off. I can walk fine and can see daily improvement, but I am taking Oxycontin 2 pills every 4 hours and if I don't stay right on the 4 hour schedule the pain mounts very quickly. I have noticed that doing the exercises greatly reduces the pain so I am constantly doing something to keep my knee limber.

Comment from: CC, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I had a total knee replacement on 12/28/2016 and kind of find myself discouraged in myself. My knee is very stiff and I can only bend 108 degree. I do physical therapy 2 times a week and do it at home 2 times a day. I hope this is normal and I will get better. I still have sharp pain and aching pain and hope that is normal too. I do not regret having it done, it is a different kind of pain I am having now (more like a hurt) where before it was a burning and aching pain.

Comment from: muaythaimama, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I had bilateral knee replacement on 1/21/16. I am moving around quite well and unusually well. However, I am experiencing a lot of pain. I have a prescription of Roxicodone and I take Tylenol. Nights are brutal as are mornings. It has only been 10 days since surgery but I thought I wouldn't need opiate pain medications still. However, I am definitely in need of taking them. It seems everyone is different. I was an athlete prior to the replacements. I also am 48 years old. I just want a longer acting pain medication. I wonder if anyone else out there has issues with pain medications only lasting 3 to 4 hours maximum or I am being impatient.

Comment from: Denise, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I had a total knee replacement 8 days ago and am happy so far. I am doing physiotherapy 2 times per day and using cold packs regularly. I have been off of opiates/painkillers since day 3 and am able to have acceptable pain relief with regular Panadol, which is better than before surgery! I am looking forward to a full recovery in due course and am using 1 crutch as per doctor's orders.

Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.