Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.

Comment from: Kat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I had total knee replacement surgery on March 10, 2014 and am still in the most pain I have ever endured in my life. At this point I would never do this again. I am doing my therapy faithfully. I am having severe episodes of depression that I hope will lessen. I sound like a cry baby but I really can"t handle this constant pain, I don"t even feel like me anymore.

Comment from: jms41001, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I had total knee replacement (TKR) 2 months ago and have been in pain ever since. I have been trying to exercise every day and take long walks. I have to return to work in 3 weeks and I don"t know how I am going to be able to do my job. It has been a very stressful time in my life, I wish I had not had the surgery done.

Comment from: sue, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I had my total knee replacement (TKR) on 6th March 2014; the best thing I have done, the pain has gone. It got to a stage when my knee felt like it was going to blow out, the pain was awful. I"m so grateful to my doctor for doing the surgery.

Comment from: Anne, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

I had both total knee replacements in November 2013 and I had an awesome experience. Two days on medical floor and 7 days in patient rehabilitation and I have had no drugs since day 2. I've been back to work since January and I have had no pain at all. It was the best thing I did for myself and my doctor was fabulous.

Comment from: Sandra, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I have avascular necrosis. I have had both hips replaced and on November 11, 2013 I had my left knee replaced. When I had my hips replaced I went back to work landscaping. I worked until my knees hurt and I could not work. That was in 2000. Now my knee surgery in 2013 was a little more painful but I am going back to work in 2 weeks. I would tell anyone to have the surgery if you want to have a happy and productive life. I don"t have to work, it is what I want to do. If I can wait on my other knee surgery till winter or longer without the pain getting worse, then have it replaced I will go for it. I take some pain medications, but not as much as before the surgery. Good luck and happy days ahead.

Comment from: Bird, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I had a total knee replacement on the 6th of January and still having pain and swelling. It never gets better even with therapy three times a week. I would never get the other knee done no matter how bad it is right now. Must be some people do better, but not me!

Comment from: francaise2, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I had a TKR (total knee replacement) done about 5 years ago. To those of you who are only months (6 or so) out from your operation, to have pain is pretty much the norm. It took me 8 months before I could say I was totally pain free. Today, I don"t even know that I had the knee replaced. I also had a partial KR and that was really a piece of cake. Two months out I was almost pain free with minor swelling. A partial is not for everyone, I was lucky to be a candidate. Hang in there, it does get better.

Comment from: Bassman 75, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: February 24

I had TKR (total knee replacement) on Dec.16 2012 and spent 25 days in rehabilitation. Today I can't walk about 50 feet at one time, the pain is that bad. My doctor sent me to another doctor to get a second opinion. He said that sometimes that happens and you have to learn to live with it. If I had a choice right now I would have the leg from the knee down taken off. Believe me this is not the life I thought I was going to have.

Comment from: Nard52, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

Three Months into a TKR (total knee replacement) and I still cry because I am not walking right, I have loud cracking noise and I am still taking pain medication because I have pain on the one side of the knee. I take no more than 2 pills to get me through the day and boy does it help! I try to not feel depressed, I try to walk right and the knee feels good.

Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.