Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.

Comment from: rehab king, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 26

After total knee replacement, I spent 2 days in hospital walking with crutches. I went home and visiting physiotherapist put me through therapy and designed self-therapy for several weeks. It was not easy but I sucked it up as best I could, with ice pack on my knee and hot pack on my IT (iliotibial) band at night hoping that I might get some sleep. No pain no gain as you have to quickly break up the scar tissue that forms after the surgery. Six weeks out I was playing tennis again. Rehabilitation is everything.

Comment from: Julius, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 20

I had total knee replacement on October 9, 2015 and it was very successful. However, I still have considerable pain at night from time to time that keeps me awake. I'm off Vicodin and have been trying to manage pain with acetaminophen.

Comment from: Susan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 20

I wonder when the tight feeling across the new knee go away; and the tightness in the calf muscle? I am 8 weeks post-operation for total knee replacement, and everything is going great; except for the feeling that someone is constantly squeezing my knee!

Comment from: susan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 20

I am 8 weeks post-operation for total knee replacement, but I've hit a plateau. I used a walker for three days, gave up pain medicines after 2 weeks and went back to work after three weeks. I finished physiotherapy after 5 weeks; they said there was nothing they could do that I couldn't do at the gym. I walk at least a mile a day, and I rode my bike last week for 12 miles. Unfortunately, my knee is so tight now! Laying it straight on the couch is difficult and painful. I wonder if I have overdone it.

Comment from: Smileyone, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 20

I had my total knee replacement on March 14, 2016. I'm very pleased with my results so far except the issues I am having with my iliotibial (IT) band. Before surgery I had 106 degree bend and just last week I reached 111 degrees. Now I have horrible pain on the outside part of my knee which they have said is my IT band which was only used to my range of motion before surgery. I am looking for information on how long to expect this to last.

Comment from: bakerchik, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I had both knees replaced ten days ago. Yes, there has been pain, but for the most part no more than I suffered before surgery. I am already zipping around on a wheeled walker, walking better than I have in years. I can go up steps one at a time with a cane and hope to be cleared for a cane today. My advice, accept that there will be some challenges. Take your pain medicines before physical therapy, and during therapy, when you don't think you can take it, give one more push. After only ten days, I am walking without a limp, no associated hip pain and further than I have been able to walk in years. Yes, it hurts to stand up from a chair. Big deal. I am getting my life back.

Comment from: KS, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I had left total knee replacement on 3/9/16. It has been a month today since, I have been driving at about three weeks, and walking with a cane. Pain is terrible, I don't sleep nights, and exhausted during the day. My knee is very stiff and physical therapy is very painful. I am sorry I had the surgery, but had no choice, my knee was buckling. My right knee is bad, but very functional, so I will continue Synvisc injections.

Comment from: RuthAnn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I had a total knee replacement 7 months ago and my range is great but I feel like I have a vice around the knee 24/7. I have done everything I am supposed to and even now working at the gym on the areas around knee. It's so frustrating for me. I go back to the surgeon in two months for this problem but he still feels it will take up to a year.

Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.