Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.

Comment from: Joanjbj, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I had total knee replacement in my right knee 5 weeks ago. I was able to get out of bed and walk the first post-operative day. I am home and now have been able to walk independently. I can go upstairs without difficulty but find it difficult to go down the stairs without doing one stair at a time. Pain has not been a problem but I did take pain medications prior to therapy. My therapist has been the main reason for my speedy recovery. I am looking forward to outpatient therapy and returning to work. My sincere thanks to a wonderful surgeon.

Comment from: lsu, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 22

I am a 61 year very active male. Over 10 years the pain in my knees kept increasing. My right knee was starting to structurally break down and it was affecting my total posture. I had both knees replaced on 8/16/13. I was up and walking the next day. I was surprised by the unexpected amount of pain and swelling. Now 8 1/2 weeks later I am off all pain medications and the swelling is negligible. My range of motion in both knees is 115 degrees. I can walk up and down steps without the handrail if I need to. I am glad that I had this procedure done. I still have numbness in both knees and I am still going to physiotherapy to strengthen muscles and further increase range of motion. The worst part of this whole was withdrawal for oxycodone. I really wish I had been counseled by my doctor about this drug and what just can do to you.

Comment from: mzpeaches, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I had a total knee replacement surgery two years ago. I was glad that I had the surgery because it did relieve the constant pain in my left knee. After the surgery, I was able to walk with the help of the nurse. I went to physical therapy for six weeks with the result of being able to ride a stationary bike and bend knee about 90 degrees. I eventually had to return to hospital for the doctor to bend my knee because it had gotten stiff even though I had therapy. The after effect for me is that for some reason my left pinkie toe stays numb where it is very agitating. The doctor did not give me any reason for the numbness. Now on the same surgical leg, I have a heel spur which probably reoccurred and the Achilles is causing great pain where I cannot receive a cortisone shot because it may rupture, whereas I have to have surgery on left foot. My doctor advised me to get the right knee done. I am afraid because I feel that I won't be able to bend my knee. It is bad enough that I am having a hard time bending the left. I cannot walk down or up the stairs straight without turning sideways and stepping down one foot at a time. For me it is very hard.

Comment from: Chihuahuamom, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I had total knee replacements done 7 weeks apart beginning March 2013. Physical therapy stood me at the bedside and supervised my initial bending just 2 hours after returning to my hospital room. Surgery was Wednesday, I went home on Friday each time and began outpatient physical therapy on Saturday. The pain was very well controlled with scheduled doses of OxyContin every 12 hours and Vicodin just prior to therapy and as needed for breakthrough pain. I kept the Polar cool ice machine on it almost continuously while home. My motion 5 months later is 0-140. I walk pain-free for the first time in years.

Comment from: Cvskier, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I had a total knee replacement on April 28. Today is day 6. I was able to get out of bed the next day. Don"t believe all you hear. This is not nearly as bad as I expected. I thought about going bike riding today but thought that might be pushing it so I"ll just go to the wine festival downtown. So far so good. Think positive...

Comment from: skiingdavid, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 07

I had left leg total knee replacement (TKR) on Feb 26, 2014. Playing golf after 8 weeks. The key to recovery for me was physiotherapy (PT) and daily exercise. It will hurt big time. Even pain pills didn"t help a lot. I actually shed some tears, it hurt so badly but I continued with the PT! It has to be done. Now after 9 weeks, I have some swelling but not much. It"s a little tight but, again, not much. My range of motion (ROM) is about 130 degrees.

Comment from: bassman, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 02

My knee was replaced over a year ago and the pain still feels like yesterday I can walk no further than 50 feet when the pain gets to the point where I can't walk. I would rather have the lower half of my leg taken off than to keep going on with this pain. After 4 or 5 x-rays my doctor says it looks good, I wish he had this knee maybe he would change his mind. I know one thing I would never, ever do this again.

Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.