Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.

Comment from: Nancy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I had my first knee replacement two years ago and was pleased with the quick recovery time and great result. So I had the other knee replaced by a different doctor out west; dumb move! Unexpectedly this knee has not gone well. First of all, the doctor did not coat the inside of the patella and now this knee cap has slid to the far right of my joint so it is bone riding on the metal joint. Yes, it hurts! Physiotherapist is trying to place/hold the knee cap in place with tape, but he just found out I have reached my Medicare physiotherapy cap, so now I am paying out of pocket. I have been told that if it doesn't realign I will be back in surgery by the end of the year; but definitely not with the second surgeon. Make sure your doctor has done a Fellowship in knee replacements before he operates!

Comment from: John, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 16

June 11, 2015 was my one year anniversary for total knee replacement (TKR) on my right knee. Immediately after surgery I wondered 'whatever did I do to myself.' But a year later things are looking good. No swelling of any kind and no pain. I can occasionally feel the 'button' under my knee cap move but that is about it. I use the 6 inch scar as motivation. The key to my success was exercise; and lots of it. Every other day I go to the gym. I work on the stationary bike for 12 to 14 minutes and also use weights on my legs as well. The one thing that I had to remind myself to do before working out was stretch. That has helped a lot. I wish I didn't have a need for the surgery but at this point I have had good results.

Comment from: ldychocchip, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

I had a total knee replacement on January 14, 2015. After five months of physical therapy, I am in terrible pain a great deal of the time. Physical therapists s are concerned, but doctor does not seem to care. I got to 122 flexion and 5 extension by 6 weeks. Then it all went very wrong. Now at 10 extension; cannot do stairs, can't walk very much and am off balance. I am at my wit's end! All the doctor has done is try to remove fluid (there was none), and done an ultrasound for the fluid he could not aspirate because it wasn't there. Ultra-sound doctor said it could be adhesions. I can't do more surgery. I get no exercise and am concerned about cholesterol causing heart and dementia problems. I wake up in the night moaning or screaming from what seems like horrible leg cramps. My shoulder replacement was bad but nothing like this and I have recovered well.

Comment from: Jan, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I am 67, and had both knees replaced 3 weeks ago. The first few days were pretty rough, but I am so happy that I made the decision to have both done together. After working hard on physiotherapy, I now have 100 plus in both knees and my surgeon is very satisfied with my progress. The pain is manageable and I have cut right down on analgesics. I am now walking with two canes for balance but can confidently walk short distances without as well, and can do stairs. No regrets from me; best thing I have ever done for myself!

Comment from: tutor, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I had a total knee replacement on July 21 2012. I have done wonderful and the therapy went great. I notice now that I still have numbness on the right side of the knee and a heaviness also, maybe some swelling behind the knee at times. I have heard that sometimes they have to go back in and treat it and am wondering if anyone has encountered this problem.

Comment from: Raymond, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 05

I had knee replacement surgery two years ago. It just did not work for me. I thought I would be climbing stairs without holding on to the handrail. But I can't. The only difference is a slightly different type of pain. My quality of life is not good, and I get something similar to the restless leg syndrome, but with the knee. Was it worth it? I'm afraid not in my case.

Comment from: 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 05

I had total knee total knee replacement in 9-14. I had two months physiotherapy. I do knee exercises daily. I have difficulty bending my knee. My knee is still very painful. I can only walk 10 minutes and must sit down as the pain is so bad. Prior to onset of knee pain I walked two miles each day. I miss my walking each day.

Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.