Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.

Comment from: Toivo, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: February 25

I had my first total knee replacement (TKR) on November 12, 2015. I was up and walking with a walker 3 hours after surgery and went home the next day. In home therapy started two day after arriving home. It was painful at first but you have to push yourself if you want maximum results. As the saying goes 'no pain, no gain'. After 3 weeks of home therapy my straight leg measurement was 0 degrees and my flex was 130 degrees. My 2nd TKR was done 6 weeks later on December 24, 2015. My experience with my second knee was identical to the first. Both legs are 0 degrees straight and both legs have 130 degrees flex. I ride an exercise bike daily and walk on a treadmill daily. I walked on snowshoes 6 weeks after the 2nd TKR. My advice is, find a reputable surgeon and don't short change yourself on the therapy sessions.

Comment from: jonnyvictim, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 23

I had a partial (left knee) on September 9th 2015 and a total (right knee) on December 2nd. Partial was a cake walk; three weeks after surgery I flew to UK, and walked many miles while there. Total knee replacement (TKR) was totally different. I had severe pain for the first month, and some depression also. But stuck with (physical therapy) PT and after six weeks felt dramatic decrease in pain levels and increase in flexion and extension, 115 and leg almost straight. PT is terrifying at first. Joint is so tender you can't bear to have anyone touch it; but you must persevere and allow therapist to work your leg. Get the board with straps (I call it 'the rack') and do 30 minutes a day; also work hard at the flexion, yes it hurts the top of the joint but you can't damage metal so grit your tooth and stay with it. Now I am 12 weeks out from TKR, and have 128 and 0 in total and 135 and 0 in partial. I walked nine holes yesterday with a smile stuck to my face. Certainly I have some soreness afterwards, but the lack of pain in both joints after years of sharp bone on bone stabbing of before surgery, is bliss. Moral of the story, be prepared to manage some severe pain but do the physical therapy and you will have a new life. Lastly if you can have partial (unicompartmental) joint done, do that first. Good luck.

Comment from: paulrt, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 23

I had my first total knee replacement in September 2009 and was quite happy with it until 1 year ago when I was getting a great amount of pain over the kneecap. After visiting the surgeon I went into hospital and had a button fixed to the underside of the kneecap. This solved the problem and now I am to have my other knee replaced. To anyone out there thinking of having this operation, go for it. It will ease your pain and give you better movement.

Comment from: Jim, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 23

I am 11 weeks into my recovery from total knee replacement. The pain for the first 2 weeks was awful but I kept up with my exercise. I am now down to 3 times 30 mg dihydrocodeine per day. I can walk short distances unaided but take one crutch when I'm out and about. I have a range of 0 to 100 degrees bend. So far I am very happy with my progress as my operated leg is better than the other which is being done at a later date. My only concern is that there is still swelling in my leg but I understand this is normal.

Comment from: Linda, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I've had custom knee replacement on December 14, 2015. I'm still having lots of stiffness and sometime feel as though my knee is freezing up. I am still in quite a lot of pain. I went to physiotherapy (PT) rehabilitation and am supposed to have home PT but they haven't shown up yet, just to do an assessment. I can't bend my leg as well or as far back as I could and that worries me. Sometimes I'm walking and my knee just gives out.

Comment from: whippy, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 16

I had total knee replacement 7 months ago and am still in lots of pain, 4 out of 10 for pain. The doctor says I am slow in recovery. I am having trouble sleeping at night and very concerned that acceptable recovery may not be possible.

Comment from: Huddad, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 11

I had total knee replacement 1/14/16 and have been religious about my in-home therapy, and my range of motion is very good although my knee straightness is 5 percent off. I can walk fine and can see daily improvement, but I am taking Oxycontin 2 pills every 4 hours and if I don't stay right on the 4 hour schedule the pain mounts very quickly. I have noticed that doing the exercises greatly reduces the pain so I am constantly doing something to keep my knee limber.

Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.