Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.

Comment from: Huddad, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 11

I had total knee replacement 1/14/16 and have been religious about my in-home therapy, and my range of motion is very good although my knee straightness is 5 percent off. I can walk fine and can see daily improvement, but I am taking Oxycontin 2 pills every 4 hours and if I don't stay right on the 4 hour schedule the pain mounts very quickly. I have noticed that doing the exercises greatly reduces the pain so I am constantly doing something to keep my knee limber.

Comment from: CC, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I had a total knee replacement on 12/28/2016 and kind of find myself discouraged in myself. My knee is very stiff and I can only bend 108 degree. I do physical therapy 2 times a week and do it at home 2 times a day. I hope this is normal and I will get better. I still have sharp pain and aching pain and hope that is normal too. I do not regret having it done, it is a different kind of pain I am having now (more like a hurt) where before it was a burning and aching pain.

Comment from: muaythaimama, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I had bilateral knee replacement on 1/21/16. I am moving around quite well and unusually well. However, I am experiencing a lot of pain. I have a prescription of Roxicodone and I take Tylenol. Nights are brutal as are mornings. It has only been 10 days since surgery but I thought I wouldn't need opiate pain medications still. However, I am definitely in need of taking them. It seems everyone is different. I was an athlete prior to the replacements. I also am 48 years old. I just want a longer acting pain medication. I wonder if anyone else out there has issues with pain medications only lasting 3 to 4 hours maximum or I am being impatient.

Comment from: Denise, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I had a total knee replacement 8 days ago and am happy so far. I am doing physiotherapy 2 times per day and using cold packs regularly. I have been off of opiates/painkillers since day 3 and am able to have acceptable pain relief with regular Panadol, which is better than before surgery! I am looking forward to a full recovery in due course and am using 1 crutch as per doctor's orders.

Comment from: JB, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 25

I had my left knee replaced 4 years ago, at the age of 54. At the time of my operation, I was unable to run, walking was difficult and painful, and my movement from seated or kneeling to standing was difficult. My post operation treatment was a 5 day stay at a rehabilitation followed by 2 times a week physiotherapy for 6 weeks. My new knee was ok at first but has degenerated since. I can't kneel on it at all. My walking is painful and I have a limp that I didn't have pre operation. My surgeon blames the problems on my weight, 265 lb. But I was about 10 lb. heavier before my operation and he never mentioned that the weight could/would/may affect me. At this point I rue the day I decided to have the surgery. My pain and mobility were better pre operation.

Comment from: Bif60, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 22

I had total knee replacement on 1/4/16. I came home 1/6 and started therapy 1/8. I was not prepared for the initial pain of therapy. I started out with ROM of 71 degrees. Two weeks later I have 106 degrees in bend and 5 in straight. Incision has healed ok. I am off hydrocodone and now taking Tylenol. So far so good.

Comment from: Catamax, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I had my first total knee replacement (TKR) 6 years ago and it has been very successful. I had my right TKR on 12/15/2015. It is now 5 weeks post operation. I still take Endone and sleeping tablet at night. Knee flexion is about 130 degrees. The surgeon expected this to be good as flexion was good pre-operation. I have been swimming and exercising in the very calm warm ocean near where I live 3 times, but only for 15 minutes a time. I have just started driving. As an ex physiotherapist exercise is very important, particularly leg straightening and bending but make sure you do all the other exercises too. However make sure you rest with your leg up at least 3 hours a day. In my view you can also overdo the walking in the first month or so. Specific exercise is more important. My leg is functioning better than pre-operation but still a long way to go but I am very optimistic it will be as good as my left knee.

Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.