Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.

Comment from: GenieL, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I am four weeks out from my knee replacement. From the moment I woke up after surgery, my knee hurt less than it did prior to surgery. My hospital holds something they call 'joint camp' for people having hip or knee replacement. One of the things they hammered home was to take the pain medication, because your physical therapy (PT) cannot progress if you hurt too much to do it. I used a cane prior to surgery due to post-stroke balance issues. I am transitioning off the walker this week back to my cane. This has not been as hard as I expected it to be, and has not hurt as much as I thought it would. I will have the other knee done next summer (I need a long time between anesthetics due to neurological issues) and I cannot wait! I find now that some of the PT exercises are difficult for me to do because of the non-operated knee.

Comment from: RNwithpain, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

It was 2 weeks ago since I had my left knee replacement. I injured that knee over 40 years ago playing college basketball. I had no medical treatment then and kept playing. That also caused my right knee to have problems from overuse. I had 2 arthroscopic surgeries to my knee with the latest in 2/2013. I tried all types of injections, and physiotherapy at various times over the years. I'm still experiencing severe pain which has been very upsetting especially with other patients seeming to breeze through it. I went into surgery with an 18 year old's attitude instead of the reality of a 60 year old woman. In my experience this has been the most pain I ever recall. My caution to others is to assume you will have pain and have to do exercises in spite of it. Pain medications do cause constipation and can cause nausea.

Comment from: mtnative, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I had bilateral knee replacements 8 months ago. My knees were so bad that I could hardly go up and down stairs. One knee would not bend and the other could not straighten. So I was a wreck. I was in the hospital 2.5 days. At 45 I was the youngest patient. I was trying my best to get out of there, while others were trying to stay. Right away after surgery I knew the pain was much better. Sure, there was some surgical pain but the knee joint pain was gone. The knee replacement surgery was way easier and less painful than the ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) replacement surgeries I had. I went home on crutches for a couple days and then just cruised from there. Boy, it has improved my life 100 percent and I feel like I can now keep working until retirement. One small hiccup is one knee cap clicks and I still have a small amount of kneecap pain but I can deal with that.

Comment from: CountTheBeans, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I had a total knee replacement 9 weeks ago with great results. Surgery was done outpatient at 8 am, I was home and walking myself to the bathroom with the help of crutches right from day one. I started driving myself to physical therapy by second week and back to work end of second week. I was in so much pain before the surgery I am glad to have done it. I can sleep at night now in almost any position. I am getting ready to do the total knee replacement on the other knee next month and hope it goes as well. Yes, there is still pain and stiffness, but so much better than before the surgery!

Comment from: MOMSGT, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

It has been 4 weeks since full knee replacement. I am still in pain, especially where the drain tube was yanked out. I see the doctor tomorrow, I feel as if I should be doing a lot better than I am, yet people keep telling me I'm doing great. I have had ankle pain since day one. I still need pain medicines at night to sleep, feel very sleepy almost all day. I can walk with or without cane for the most part but tripped and fell on both knees last Thursday (I feel like I fell a week behind in progress). I regret yes, but couldn't keep living like I was.

Comment from: wallace, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 06

I had right total knee replacement (TKR) end of March 2015. The surgery started at 7:30 AM. I was home by 1:00 same day. Immediately I started on CPM (continuous passive motion) machine and cryotherapy ice treatment. I also started using walker immediately, doing laps around the house. I had some pain but manageable. After 4 days I was using cane only and taking some steps unaided. I began therapy after about two and a half weeks and already was at 120 ROM (range of motion). Now after three months I have some minor residual swelling and stiffness when in a bent knee position for any length of time (sleeping/driving mostly). I was assured that this would take up to a year to resolve itself. I am looking forward to having the other knee done early 2016 and then on to ankle replacement. I truly believe CPM machine was a difference maker.

Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.