Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.

Comment from: Really upset, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 02

I had my knee replacement in September 2012. I had previous trauma to the knee and leg about 15 years prior. My surgery required removal of 13 screws and plate from my tibia. Three of the screws went through the upper tibia to form and hold my knee joint together. Right after surgery I had terrific pain without relief by oral medications. My recovery is still ongoing. I still have swelling and constant pain in the knee at rest, although this has continued to improve. I have excruciating pain after any type of exercise and can only walk for about 30 minutes before I have to elevate my leg due to the pain. My original surgeon told me this could take up to 2 years to recover. I am currently seeing a 2nd orthopedist and a pain management specialist. Neither understands why I have the pain. The pain doctor basically calls me a liar and has never known a case like this. Likewise with the orthopedist I see. I'm just really fed up! I'm prescribed MS ER 15 BID (morphine sulfate extended-release) and hydrocodone PRN. I don't get relief with the hydrocodone. I never have but the doctors keep prescribing it for me. I get the high, the lightheadedness but not pain relief. They don't want to prescribe anything stronger.

Comment from: Rubyflix, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

I had a TKR (total knee replacement) on my right knee on October 29th 2013 and am now in my fourth week post operation. I desperately wish I had never undertaken the procedure. The pain has been relentless; the knee is worse than it was before surgery, I can only bend it to about 100 degrees, and the knee-bending exercise I have to do is agonizing - I always end up in tears while doing it. I am driving again and doing my best to perform normal daily tasks and put on a brave face for others, but am finding it increasingly difficult to see the light at the end of the tunnel. My physiotherapist is bright and cheerful and insists everything will be all right if I do the exercises. I am sure he doesn't believe me when I tell him that I do the exercises, faithfully and well past the point of pain. I have to beg doctors at my local practice for more prescription for pain relief and they are reluctant to give it to me. Night times are terrible and I often put off going to bed until 1 or 2AM because I dread it so much.

Comment from: Marge, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I had total knee replacement on September 9th, 2013. I spent 3 1/2 days in the hospital. I was out of bed on the second day and I had therapy the second and the third morning I left. I took pain medications in the hospital, then went to a rehabilitation care facility for 11 days. At home I had therapy twice a week for two weeks. I used a walker for two weeks and a cane for about the same. I am on my own now, no pain but I stall have stiffness and I don't sleep too well on my back all the time.

Comment from: Randy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 18

I had knee replacement on October 15, 2013. Next day I tried walking and still had some numbness. Later that day I walked maybe 50 feet. My pain was great but the nursing staff helped me deal with the pain. Three days in the hospital and I went home. I walked in. The house had 5 steps to go up and I did it. The pain medicine block my stool and 4 days later I got very bad but they for me to get Duralax and in 4 hours my problem was over. I have been in therapy for 3 weeks and doing better every week. I am walking into therapy with no help and feeling better every week. I hope to be back at work in 6 weeks after surgery.

Comment from: smoxson, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

Today is only day 12 after the operation. In general the experience is not as bad as feared but I wouldn't want to have the procedure again. I already have more movement than I thought I would, I can go up and down stairs, one step at time, and can get into and out of car. Sleeping is almost impossible not because of knee necessarily since I have had pain for over 10 years, but because of pain from bruising.

Comment from: Nickle, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I am in my 5th week post operation for a TKR (total knee replacement) of my left knee. I had the right knee done 2 years earlier. I never have had a good tolerance for pain so I am thankful that my doctor understands this. I am trying very hard to not have to take pain medication but some days are more than I can stand. Physiotherapy is going well and I do my exercises faithfully. I use a cane only when I need to walk any distance or on uneven ground. Each day gets better and the pain is better than the pain I had before surgery. Exercise is the key.

Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.