Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.

Comment from: John, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 16

June 11, 2015 was my one year anniversary for total knee replacement (TKR) on my right knee. Immediately after surgery I wondered 'whatever did I do to myself.' But a year later things are looking good. No swelling of any kind and no pain. I can occasionally feel the 'button' under my knee cap move but that is about it. I use the 6 inch scar as motivation. The key to my success was exercise; and lots of it. Every other day I go to the gym. I work on the stationary bike for 12 to 14 minutes and also use weights on my legs as well. The one thing that I had to remind myself to do before working out was stretch. That has helped a lot. I wish I didn't have a need for the surgery but at this point I have had good results.

Comment from: ldychocchip, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

I had a total knee replacement on January 14, 2015. After five months of physical therapy, I am in terrible pain a great deal of the time. Physical therapists s are concerned, but doctor does not seem to care. I got to 122 flexion and 5 extension by 6 weeks. Then it all went very wrong. Now at 10 extension; cannot do stairs, can't walk very much and am off balance. I am at my wit's end! All the doctor has done is try to remove fluid (there was none), and done an ultrasound for the fluid he could not aspirate because it wasn't there. Ultra-sound doctor said it could be adhesions. I can't do more surgery. I get no exercise and am concerned about cholesterol causing heart and dementia problems. I wake up in the night moaning or screaming from what seems like horrible leg cramps. My shoulder replacement was bad but nothing like this and I have recovered well.

Comment from: Jan, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I am 67, and had both knees replaced 3 weeks ago. The first few days were pretty rough, but I am so happy that I made the decision to have both done together. After working hard on physiotherapy, I now have 100 plus in both knees and my surgeon is very satisfied with my progress. The pain is manageable and I have cut right down on analgesics. I am now walking with two canes for balance but can confidently walk short distances without as well, and can do stairs. No regrets from me; best thing I have ever done for myself!

Comment from: tutor, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I had a total knee replacement on July 21 2012. I have done wonderful and the therapy went great. I notice now that I still have numbness on the right side of the knee and a heaviness also, maybe some swelling behind the knee at times. I have heard that sometimes they have to go back in and treat it and am wondering if anyone has encountered this problem.

Comment from: Raymond, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 05

I had knee replacement surgery two years ago. It just did not work for me. I thought I would be climbing stairs without holding on to the handrail. But I can't. The only difference is a slightly different type of pain. My quality of life is not good, and I get something similar to the restless leg syndrome, but with the knee. Was it worth it? I'm afraid not in my case.

Comment from: 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 05

I had total knee total knee replacement in 9-14. I had two months physiotherapy. I do knee exercises daily. I have difficulty bending my knee. My knee is still very painful. I can only walk 10 minutes and must sit down as the pain is so bad. Prior to onset of knee pain I walked two miles each day. I miss my walking each day.

Comment from: Cathy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

After suffering much pain I had my total knee replacement (TKR) in November 2014. The operation went well and I went home after 4 days. I felt I was doing well although the wound wasn't healing and kept oozing. I went regularly to physiotherapy and my bend was improving. I also had my clips removed and attended for dressing changes, as the wound continued to ooze. During the 4th week the oozing became much worse and smelly and I started to feel very ill with a high temperature and vomiting. I was admitted back into hospital where the joint was washed out. The result was a very serious life threatening infection which needed antibiotic treatment and a 6 week stay in hospital. Fortunately the antibiotics did the trick and the infection cleared. It is 6 months today since my operation and I'm going back to work tomorrow. The whole experience has been awful and I have lost so much confidence that I wish I hadn't had it done. On the plus side the knee is pain free but I am struggling with the bend and hope that it will improve. Think very carefully before having a TKR. I am constantly being told I was unlucky, and I walk and move around much better now. Don't be blinded by the pain, listen to the risks.

Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.