Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.

Comment from: Judy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

I had total knee surgery on 3-14-16. I have to say the pain was bad, I didn't want to do it ever again. I was also dealing with a very bad back and a spur on my other foot that I got from too much pressure trying not to walk on my other knee. I am still a caregiver in a hospital and not old enough to retire yet. I have pushed through most of my pain. I do my own therapy and it is still stiff when I get up. I have shooting pains sometimes but it is all getting better every day. I wouldn't want to do it again though. I try to push myself a little harder every day. So hang in there.

Comment from: Still in Pain, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 27

I had a total knee replacement in my left knee on 12-30-2014. The surgeon put in an incorrect part and had to go in the same day to replace the part. I followed all prescribed recovery procedures and exercises and I am still in excruciating pain 16 months later. I have gone back to exercising in the pool but I am not seeing much improvement. The doctor attributes it to my obesity and refuses to consider any other cause. I am so sorry I ever had the surgery and will not be having the other knee done even though it was advised.

Comment from: nrash, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I had my left knee replaced in mid-January and things were going fine with recovery. Then two weeks ago, I went to a convention which required a lot of walking and standing, more than I had done since the surgery. Understandably, the knee swelled up, but it's now been 2 weeks since then. I have rested, iced it repeatedly and elevated as often as possible. The swelling goes down but returns as soon as I am up on it again.

Comment from: rehab king, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 26

After total knee replacement, I spent 2 days in hospital walking with crutches. I went home and visiting physiotherapist put me through therapy and designed self-therapy for several weeks. It was not easy but I sucked it up as best I could, with ice pack on my knee and hot pack on my IT (iliotibial) band at night hoping that I might get some sleep. No pain no gain as you have to quickly break up the scar tissue that forms after the surgery. Six weeks out I was playing tennis again. Rehabilitation is everything.

Comment from: Julius, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 20

I had total knee replacement on October 9, 2015 and it was very successful. However, I still have considerable pain at night from time to time that keeps me awake. I'm off Vicodin and have been trying to manage pain with acetaminophen.

Comment from: Susan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 20

I wonder when the tight feeling across the new knee go away; and the tightness in the calf muscle? I am 8 weeks post-operation for total knee replacement, and everything is going great; except for the feeling that someone is constantly squeezing my knee!

Comment from: susan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 20

I am 8 weeks post-operation for total knee replacement, but I've hit a plateau. I used a walker for three days, gave up pain medicines after 2 weeks and went back to work after three weeks. I finished physiotherapy after 5 weeks; they said there was nothing they could do that I couldn't do at the gym. I walk at least a mile a day, and I rode my bike last week for 12 miles. Unfortunately, my knee is so tight now! Laying it straight on the couch is difficult and painful. I wonder if I have overdone it.

Comment from: Smileyone, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 20

I had my total knee replacement on March 14, 2016. I'm very pleased with my results so far except the issues I am having with my iliotibial (IT) band. Before surgery I had 106 degree bend and just last week I reached 111 degrees. Now I have horrible pain on the outside part of my knee which they have said is my IT band which was only used to my range of motion before surgery. I am looking for information on how long to expect this to last.

Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.