Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.

Comment from: Silverlady, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

I had a total knee replacement on 18th Oct. I wish I could turn back the clock. Mine was a Visionaire knee replacement. The surgery was very quick; 4pm into the theatre back in the room by 7. The pain was bad but morphine drip and medication helped. I was up the following day and out of hospital on the 5th day. I have done my exercises and ice packs. The knee is still very stiff and I get a lot of pain still. I try to walk every day and it"s difficult and I find slopes hard. I have only just started to drive again as my knee was too stiff to bend. It"s now 4 months. I am still in pain when walking and when sitting for a while it stiffens up, so I have to stand and wait for a while before I can start walking again. I think having a total knee replacement should be thought about seriously before taking the plunge. I wish I had done more research, and thought about how incapacitated I would be. Just hoping a few more months and it will get better movement and no more pain.

Comment from: Jerseygirl, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

Almost two years after two knee replacements I still have a lot of pain. I have slept in a chair most of this time. The pain is awful laying down. One knee hurts more than before the surgery. The other is somewhat better. Going down stairs is a nightmare. I am stiffer than before surgery. My doctor says everything is good and it will take time.

Comment from: grits4evr, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I just had right total knee replacement at age 59. I was up next morning, used walker to go to dining area, and started physical therapy. I returned home 3 day out, used crutches 2 days, and I am up and around great. After pain, shots that didn"t work, two arthroscopies that didn"t work, I was ready for replacement! I had a great surgeon. I am now looking forward to doing it again maybe later in fall for the other knee.

Comment from: Campingbird, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I had a TKR (total knee replacement) on my left knee on 17th January this year. It is without a doubt the best thing I could have done. Being 39 I was very wary going in to the surgery but having suffered with continuous pain from RA (rheumatoid arthritis) over the past 13 years and walking with a severe limp and walking stick for the past 2 years I had reached a point of no choice. Two and a half weeks on and I am so pleased, my knee is still stiff and I am doing my exercises, but I can walk normally for the first time in 2 years. I'm still using my crutches as I need to build the muscles and I take all the pain killers I can just before I go to bed so that I get a good night's sleep. Some days are better than others but you just need to listen to your body and rest when you need to, and move when you need to.

Comment from: Blondie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I had a left TKR (total knee replacement) on October 30, 2013. I had excellent pain control my three post operation days in the hospital for special surgery. I think it is extremely important when contemplating any prosthesis that you know the surgeon has a great deal of experience and that the hospital does a great number of such surgeries. This hospital is renowned for orthopedics and has protocols for pain control that are extremely effective. They also deal with those of us who are on dual antiplatelet therapy, Plavix and aspirin, and have protocols for these conditions in place. The CPM machine is used post operation for 4 hours on and 4 hours off. The physical therapy begins day one. We as patients choosing such surgery must be willing to do the work and to make it a job to do the PT just as you would do any job, time and effort put in, results in a payout later. I had excellent pain control and I am a coward. I have rheumatoid arthritis and I am always in some pain. This knee is not totally normal, it is a prosthesis after all, but it is a world apart from my RA painfully crippling knee. I will be having my right knee done in March, and while I dread going through it all again, I look forward to the payoff.

Comment from: wjt1957, 55-64 (Patient) Published: January 23

My left knee has always been a problem. I had a Unispacer put in in 2002, a total knee replacement in 2005, a repair to that replacement in 2009, and a total revision in 2011. It still hurts and feels like something is not right. I had my right knee done in 2012 with no problems. I'm not sure where to go from here. I'm tired of the pain and am not sure if anything can be done.

Comment from: Carol, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I had total knee replacement (TKR) in both knees, first one in 2005 and second in 2006. It was the worst pain I had since childbirth. I just recently got all the feeling back in my knees and I can't totally bend either one but I no longer have pain in either leg! Everyone is different in how they recover. I was up and moving in two days, very slowly though. It was the best thing I ever had done for myself and if by chance I ever have to have it done again, I would in a heartbeat. The pain of the surgery is so worth the reward afterwards.

Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.