Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.

Comment from: shanin, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I had my right knee replaced (total) in December 2013. After 4 years of pain, 2 surgeries and lots of shots, I was relieved to get replacement. It was as tough as I expected and am returning to work in 3/2014 (end). I am now experiencing "clicking or popping" in the back of my knee which hurts immensely. I have told my physiotherapist and my doctor, but they say it is normal. It seems to be getting worse and I get stabbing pain in my thigh/throughout knee.

Comment from: FRUSTRATED, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I had a total knee replacement (TKR) on the left leg in July 2014. Procedure went fine, I had very little pain. I had the right leg done in December 2014. I had a little more pain the second time around but was healing nicely. I went back to the doctor for my six week checkup and x-rays and my right femur broke in two places while in the x-ray room. I was just standing there taking off my shoe for x-rays. The pain was excruciating. I had to have surgery the same day in which two plates and screws had to be inserted. I was off my feet and in a brace for four weeks without bending or moving the knee. The break is healing nicely but I am having a terrible time bending the knee. I am still no weight bearing and in a wheelchair - going on eight weeks. I have days where it is not so bad and then days I hurt terribly bad. I'm hoping that everything heals and back to normal soon but I am afraid the range of movement in my right knee will never get to where it should be. I hope no one else ever has to go through this.

Comment from: TKR2013, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 13

I had my TKR (total knee replacement) in June 2013. After healing from the surgery the knee was achy for about 6 weeks. I was off the pain medications in 3 weeks and back to work. I was so pleased that I had the right knee done in November of 2013. I was back to work in 2 weeks, then. With my right leg, by January, I had very little pain, mostly at night. I found if I laid on my side and didn't straighten or bend it too much I could sleep well. It is March 2014 and I am getting around great. I have started walking 2 miles a couple of days a week. I do not take any pain medications and do not exercise except for my normal daily activities. I have lost 20 pounds just by walking more and I would do it all over again.

Comment from: Eventually It"s Grea, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 07

I really didn"t know what to expect. I had heard total knee replacement was painful, but I thought it was just the first couple weeks after the surgery. It varies from person to person, but be prepared that the therapy, particularly establishing range of motion, is very painful. Do whatever you can to train yourself not to brace yourself against it and fight it, as that makes it much worse. Beginning with that it"s all a matter of attitude. I see so many people I want to ask "Why did you do this?" because they avoid doing therapy and as soon as the therapy is done they don"t do any more work on their own. I had been so limited in what I could do by my knee, and now I am so thrilled to be going back to doing things I used to do in my 30s. But 4 months post-operation, I still am pushing myself - exercising, extending range of motion, and forcing myself to do things the right way. I am determined not to give in and find easy ways to do things (for example, many people get shoes with Velcro straps so they don"t have to force their knee to bend enough to tie their shoes.). I am on a continuous high now that I am doing more things than I had dreamed I"d ever do. At 3 1/2 months post-operation I started attending a dance aerobics class at the health club. All of this is great, but you have to pay the price in sweat.

Comment from: baasbaas, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 04

At 88 I had my 2nd total knee replacement (left one was a couple of years ago and all went well including little pain). On 11th December I had the right knee done. Almost 3 full months later I am still in much pain and not secure in walking. I admit I have not exercised as much, winter versus summer. I am now going to physiotherapy and hope to improve. As bad as the pain is now, it is not as bad as before the TKR. I would I do it again, yes.

Comment from: Nancy, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I am 3 months post operation from right total knee replacement (TKR). At 3 weeks post operation I got rid of crutches and went Christmas shopping. Simple exercises from first hour after surgery and continued at home exercises brought almost full range of motion and flexion with no limping. I have not gone to physical therapist. I did routine ice. Recovery has been miraculous! I have no pain and full strength going up and down stairs. I still take 5mg of hydrocodone occasionally for aching. I attribute success to chosen implants and their ligament balancing instrumentation. I cannot believe my recovery!

Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.