Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.

Comment from: Smileyone, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 20

I had my total knee replacement on March 14, 2016. I'm very pleased with my results so far except the issues I am having with my iliotibial (IT) band. Before surgery I had 106 degree bend and just last week I reached 111 degrees. Now I have horrible pain on the outside part of my knee which they have said is my IT band which was only used to my range of motion before surgery. I am looking for information on how long to expect this to last.

Comment from: bakerchik, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I had both knees replaced ten days ago. Yes, there has been pain, but for the most part no more than I suffered before surgery. I am already zipping around on a wheeled walker, walking better than I have in years. I can go up steps one at a time with a cane and hope to be cleared for a cane today. My advice, accept that there will be some challenges. Take your pain medicines before physical therapy, and during therapy, when you don't think you can take it, give one more push. After only ten days, I am walking without a limp, no associated hip pain and further than I have been able to walk in years. Yes, it hurts to stand up from a chair. Big deal. I am getting my life back.

Comment from: KS, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I had left total knee replacement on 3/9/16. It has been a month today since, I have been driving at about three weeks, and walking with a cane. Pain is terrible, I don't sleep nights, and exhausted during the day. My knee is very stiff and physical therapy is very painful. I am sorry I had the surgery, but had no choice, my knee was buckling. My right knee is bad, but very functional, so I will continue Synvisc injections.

Comment from: RuthAnn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I had a total knee replacement 7 months ago and my range is great but I feel like I have a vice around the knee 24/7. I have done everything I am supposed to and even now working at the gym on the areas around knee. It's so frustrating for me. I go back to the surgeon in two months for this problem but he still feels it will take up to a year.

Comment from: Debra S, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I had both knees replaced at 55 years old, in July 2014. Biggest mistake of my life. Almost 2 years later I'm sick and tired of still living with this constant pain. Had I known I'd have to live like this, I would have probably kept searching for relief by some other method. The doctor refuses to renew my oxycodone, so I have to get it by other means. It does help sometimes, but only if I remember to take it with food. He claims I just need to do some aerobics. Seriously! I did everything right, the therapy, etc., and I still can't sit or stand very long, can't even kneel on soft bed, certainly can't go for walks, shopping and normal everyday life like stairs is no fun. My best advice is think twice and get second opinion before doing something like this. I'm too young and seriously do not and will not live like this much longer.

Comment from: ssj, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

My diagnosis was that I needed both knee joints replaced, one at a time. I found a great doctor and a good hospital program. Surgery was on 3/7/16. I have had extremely difficult time with pain, though surgery went well. I use morphine and Vicodin as needed. First two weeks of physiotherapy (PT) were nearly impossible as regards pain and stiffness; didn't see how I would get through this. Third week was a bit better. Now 4th week, I still have a lot of stiffness, swelling, and pain, but I see a glimmer of hope and improvement. There is nothing that would have prepared me for the level and constancy of pain, though I have had many surgeries. Many sleepless nights. Everyone handles pain differently. I manage pain with much difficulty, so this surgery and recovery has felt at times impossible to withstand, at times very difficult, at times, maybe I can do this. I am emphasizing pain as it has characterized my surgery and ongoing recovery. PT has been colored by pain as well, though I know PT is crucial to recovery. Good people doing PT; lucky they put up with me! I would want to know all this up front before my surgery, not to change mind, but to know this is going to be very, very tough for me. I haven't signed up for second surgery yet! Not ready to shout victory, but will likely get there in my own time.

Comment from: peter, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 18

I had my right knee replaced 4 years ago. I followed the physiotherapy exercises. I was back golfing after 4 months, walking, dancing, and cycling. I am able to follow all my hobbies, I am a Morris dancer and I resumed this after 6 months. My knee now feels okay, not painful, I lost 2 stone in weight by going on the 5:2 diet. I garden, etc., but I cannot kneel on the knee. I am satisfied with life, I can do everything I used to do pre-surgery, I do get clicking, etc., when walking but that's a small price to pay for the mobility I have.

Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.