Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.

Comment from: CountTheBeans, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I had a total knee replacement 9 weeks ago with great results. Surgery was done outpatient at 8 am, I was home and walking myself to the bathroom with the help of crutches right from day one. I started driving myself to physical therapy by second week and back to work end of second week. I was in so much pain before the surgery I am glad to have done it. I can sleep at night now in almost any position. I am getting ready to do the total knee replacement on the other knee next month and hope it goes as well. Yes, there is still pain and stiffness, but so much better than before the surgery!

Comment from: MOMSGT, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

It has been 4 weeks since full knee replacement. I am still in pain, especially where the drain tube was yanked out. I see the doctor tomorrow, I feel as if I should be doing a lot better than I am, yet people keep telling me I'm doing great. I have had ankle pain since day one. I still need pain medicines at night to sleep, feel very sleepy almost all day. I can walk with or without cane for the most part but tripped and fell on both knees last Thursday (I feel like I fell a week behind in progress). I regret yes, but couldn't keep living like I was.

Comment from: wallace, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 06

I had right total knee replacement (TKR) end of March 2015. The surgery started at 7:30 AM. I was home by 1:00 same day. Immediately I started on CPM (continuous passive motion) machine and cryotherapy ice treatment. I also started using walker immediately, doing laps around the house. I had some pain but manageable. After 4 days I was using cane only and taking some steps unaided. I began therapy after about two and a half weeks and already was at 120 ROM (range of motion). Now after three months I have some minor residual swelling and stiffness when in a bent knee position for any length of time (sleeping/driving mostly). I was assured that this would take up to a year to resolve itself. I am looking forward to having the other knee done early 2016 and then on to ankle replacement. I truly believe CPM machine was a difference maker.

Comment from: Nancy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I had my first knee replacement two years ago and was pleased with the quick recovery time and great result. So I had the other knee replaced by a different doctor out west; dumb move! Unexpectedly this knee has not gone well. First of all, the doctor did not coat the inside of the patella and now this knee cap has slid to the far right of my joint so it is bone riding on the metal joint. Yes, it hurts! Physiotherapist is trying to place/hold the knee cap in place with tape, but he just found out I have reached my Medicare physiotherapy cap, so now I am paying out of pocket. I have been told that if it doesn't realign I will be back in surgery by the end of the year; but definitely not with the second surgeon. Make sure your doctor has done a Fellowship in knee replacements before he operates!

Comment from: John, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 16

June 11, 2015 was my one year anniversary for total knee replacement (TKR) on my right knee. Immediately after surgery I wondered 'whatever did I do to myself.' But a year later things are looking good. No swelling of any kind and no pain. I can occasionally feel the 'button' under my knee cap move but that is about it. I use the 6 inch scar as motivation. The key to my success was exercise; and lots of it. Every other day I go to the gym. I work on the stationary bike for 12 to 14 minutes and also use weights on my legs as well. The one thing that I had to remind myself to do before working out was stretch. That has helped a lot. I wish I didn't have a need for the surgery but at this point I have had good results.

Comment from: ldychocchip, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

I had a total knee replacement on January 14, 2015. After five months of physical therapy, I am in terrible pain a great deal of the time. Physical therapists s are concerned, but doctor does not seem to care. I got to 122 flexion and 5 extension by 6 weeks. Then it all went very wrong. Now at 10 extension; cannot do stairs, can't walk very much and am off balance. I am at my wit's end! All the doctor has done is try to remove fluid (there was none), and done an ultrasound for the fluid he could not aspirate because it wasn't there. Ultra-sound doctor said it could be adhesions. I can't do more surgery. I get no exercise and am concerned about cholesterol causing heart and dementia problems. I wake up in the night moaning or screaming from what seems like horrible leg cramps. My shoulder replacement was bad but nothing like this and I have recovered well.

Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.