Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.

Comment from: patio, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 09

I had a full knee replacement on my right leg in July 15 and recovered really quickly. I was chopping and carting wood at 5 weeks from date of surgery and the key was to hammer the exercises every day no matter the pain level. I got to 120 degrees in movement at 6 weeks post-surgery and was very happy with the procedure. So I decided to get the other one done at 3 months and in Nov 15 I had the left knee replaced. Immediately after the surgery I felt very different to the first surgery. Three days after surgery I managed 95 degrees of forced movement and the level of pain was far greater than the first surgery. I have experienced snapping of the knee for over 5 months, intense pain and to say that I was unhappy would be an understatement. Snapping of the knee has settled down at 24 weeks post-surgery, but I am still experiencing severe pain when walking more than 400 meters. If I had my time over again I would not have had the second surgery done and would have just stuck with the pain. Cold weather is making the pain worse.

Comment from: janice, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

I had a total knee replacement 6 years ago due to having a cartilage out when 23. My little toe is not working and flops and I have to massage the side if my leg as it goes numb and stiff. The knee does not bend more than half way and I am a swimmer! I mainly crawl! Despite exercise the bend never gets better. When I have pain in the operated knee it feels very bad. There is little muscle build up in that thigh and it looks 'older.' There is a swelling outside top of the knee which is no problem except unsightly. The knee always feels stiff. I have had unexplained pain in both feet since operation, with sensitivity in the sole and no hard skin for protection. There is a problem also in these prosthetics in that they are heavier and one has to be careful of tripping especially over the threshold. The brain does not register the new knee as being heavier. I have been told I need another replacement but I have full use of the other knee; and its mine! I have been taking pills with collagen type 11 and this seems to have helped a lot. My advice is to delay these interventions for as long as possible; these people are making tons of money out of them. Try other things and always exercise! Hope this helps anyone.

Comment from: Soosie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 07

I had a total knee replacement three and a half weeks ago. I too find that if I have a good day it is usually followed by a not so good day. I am doing all the exercises and find that applying ice packs two or three times a day is extremely beneficial. I purchased a pair of ice packs off Amazon that came with a long stretchy velcroed band which is used to keep the packs wherever they are positioned. This is great because I can start with the ice above my knee, then gradually move the packs around and slide them down to below the knee. I oil my knee first with olive or coconut oil, cover it with a folded tea towel, and then apply the ice. My main problem is I can't stay up for long. I am so tired I sleep on and off all day. Pain is worse at night so my doctor prescribed Oramorph which makes it bearable. I am very grateful for the forums which make me realize that pain, stiffness, tiredness for several weeks after the operation is quite normal.

Comment from: Trish, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

It is 2.00 am and I am crying with this nightly pain that robs me of sleep. I cannot take many pain tablets and have to use Panadol which is useless. I do have a low dose morphine patch but again not very effective. I am 11 weeks on from total knee replacement and just cannot believe the level of pain I am still experiencing. I hoped it would gradually improve but no sign yet. I sometimes wonder how I can continue. I guess I have no choice.

Comment from: Marge, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I am having trouble sleeping after my total knee replacement. My knee doesn't hurt as much as it aches and throbs. I have physiotherapy twice a week and do the exercise at home twice a day. I've been told to use ice. The problem with that is my leg is heavy and the ice pack doesn't stay where I need it. I don't sleep in one position all night so when I move, the ice pack falls or stays where it was. Surgery was on my right knee and now I am having pain in my left knee.

Comment from: clew37, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I had one total knee replacement a year ago, and the other 5 months ago. The second went much better, as I pressured myself to drink more fluids when the pain medicines made me ill. I was in hospital an average 3 days. Physical therapy after is really a must, as scar tissue buildup limits range of motion. The pain was bad, but livable. I used lots of ice bags and massaged my scar to keep blood from building up in the ridges. I'm back to work, almost pain free, and walk about 3 miles a day. I found it all to be well worth it.

Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.