Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Experience

Please describe your total knee replacement experience.

Comment from: bonitakale, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

Six months after total knee replacement, my knee felt great! No pain, no limp. A year after, it started to hurt again. Now, at 1.5 years, I'm in a fair amount of pain on standing up and walking. It's made worse by my stomach. The doctor's wish for me is not to use naproxen sodium any more. The knee is apparently a bit loose, but I don't want to go through more surgery without some clear statistics on how likely it is to work. I'm trying to figure out how much exercise does any good, within the limits of what I can make myself do. I should lose weight, but I've done it before, and each time, end up in a couple of years fatter than I was before; not good for the knee either.

Comment from: drew, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 01

I had a total knee replacement in May. The pain on waking after the surgery was horrendous. The pain relief was very inadequate. Nine weeks post-operation my knee is still very stiff. I do my exercises and am hoping I get full mobility back. Would I do it again? I don't think so.

Comment from: B.ellis, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I'm four weeks post operation after total knee replacement on my left knee. The pain is so intense, and knee is so tight and very swollen, I'm walking well coping with exercise. Physiotherapy is due to start next week but the pain seems to be getting worse than better. The general physician says oral morphine is the only place to go medicines wise. I'm not happy but I'm so tired, as I have had no sleep for four weeks now. Regretting surgery at the moment.

Comment from: mtnlady621, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I had my 2nd total knee replacement on my left knee 4 weeks ago. Although this time (had right knee done 3 years ago; took forever to heal and still too tight), the surgery was much easier. I, like someone else said here, hate doing nothing, I get depressed and very anxious if I am not useful or feeling up to par. I am still taking hydrocodone for pain, mainly in the morning or evening before bed. Anytime I rest my legs, it gets so tight and stiff that I feel like I am getting nowhere with my recovery. Other times I am good. My back has started to pain me again severely, due to the limping and using a cane. Back to my chiropractor next week. I just want to feel good! Is that too much to ask!

Comment from: Lefty, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 26

I had total knee replacement of my right knee on 6/12, and was discharged the evening after surgery. I can't say enough good things about my doctor! I have been off the pain medications since day 6 (they were giving me more gut problems than pain relief), off the walker the following week, hiking, exercise bike, up and most everything is going well except going down steps is still a little stiff. I've found that walking up/downhill helps get your quads in shape for steps. More sessions of physiotherapy (PT) and less duration have worked best for me; ice and a percussion massager have been my best friends. I have had some formal PT, but mostly deep tissue massage, and just very motivated to get to enjoy a normal knee; I've lived with a progressively worsening one for over 30 years. One other thing: Make sure the staff gives you a snack with pain/anti-inflammatory drugs. I had constant hiccups along with major heartburn until my wife, not the staff, figured out the problem. A pudding cup was the answer!

Comment from: Jim9999, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 18

I had a left total knee replacement done on May 31, 2017. The first ten days were an absolute nightmare between the swelling, pain and heat peaking around day 8. I wasn't prepared for my leg being essentially paralyzed after the surgery and the hard work needed to rebuild muscle tone. Now some 7 weeks later, I'm walking somewhat ok but with a very tight band and feeling of constriction around the knee. Hopefully this will fade with time, but for now progress day to day isn't noticeable. If I walk too much during the day my knee swells up at night and gets incredibly stiff. The feeling of exhaustion also persists. This was a major assault to the body and I suspect it will take months to regain my strength.

Total Knee Replacement - Causes Question: What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.