Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.

Comment from: Kazza, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I had a total left knee replacement just over 12 months ago. It has been really good, and recovery wasn't too bad. I got most of my movement back. The last week or so I am having problems with my knee giving way again and have developed severe pain behind the knee and calf. I am about to see my doctor today. Hoping they don't tell me I need to go back into hospital.

Comment from: Tom F, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: May 12

I am 77 and had total knee replacement on 3/29. I am now 6 weeks out. I am very glad to find this website as I was beginning to worry something was wrong with me. I have had physiotherapy three days a week since three days after the operation and now at 108 percent and going very slowly and painfully on stationary bike. I go forward one day and back the next. The operative area is still painful and swollen after therapy. One thing my doctor suggested and it works to reduce swelling is to walk slowly or tread water (not swim) in a pool for a half hour. Based on reports of some of my friends I thought I would be playing tennis and golf by now. Not. It is helpful to know my slow progress is not unusual.

Comment from: Chipshot, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

It's been two and a half weeks since total left knee replacement. I feel I'm doing well but still require pain medicines. However, I have reduced from 10 mg of oxycodone to taking 5 mg every four hours. I still have pain if I try and get off the medicines. The constipation from the medicines is brutal, even when taking stool softeners and laxatives. I had five days of in-home physiotherapy (PT) and am now in second week of outside PT. I'm doing three exercises at home three times per day as instructed by PT and riding stationary bike for only ten minutes. He advised to be careful and to go slow in recovery even if I feel I could do more. The oxycodone messes with me mentally. I'm somewhat depressed with constipation, coupled with cabin fever. As I'm prepared to enter week three, I thought I would have been feeling better. I'm using the walker, even though I can walk without. My PT advised to continue to use the walker. I guess it just varies patient to patient regarding recovery time.

Comment from: Bruce, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 05

I had a total knee replacement surgery on my left knee on 2/18/16. I am back to work in pain but moving better every day. It appears that every person who has this procedure deals with pain differently. My pain has eased up but it is still there. Now that I have had it done, I would not do it again. I still remember the pain and sleepless nights. If you want to get better you have to do physiotherapy (PT), it is the only way to truly recover, so off to PT I go.

Comment from: theNewMe, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 03

I had bilateral total knee replacement 02/23/16. Pain was terrible for a couple of days then not bad. I was moving around my hospital room 1 hour after surgery. I spent 56 hours in hospital, then off to rehabilitation for 8 days. I had no one to help at home so it was needed. I am 9 weeks post operation now. I have no pain, some swelling, but not a lot. I am ready for work, can walk 3 miles easily, and going to the gym. Glad I had it done, best I've felt in years.

Comment from: Roger, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 03

I had total knee replacement 5 days ago and I was in the hospital a day and a half. No pain killers of any kind after day 2. Walking and stairs are no problem. I think the key to my rapid recovery is that I did outpatient and in home physical therapy (PT) for almost 4 months prior to surgery and have continued exercising since the surgery. I'm not really an exercise fanatic, but I think PT is critical both before and after surgery.

Comment from: Shearosche, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

On 3/21/16 I had my left knee replaced. Recovery seemed great. I was at 0 and 135 by four weeks. I still utilized a walker because my right knee was still incredibly bad. Because I did so well, my second knee was replaced on 4/21/16. I ended up with a blood clot and tremendous pain and swelling because of the blood thinner. So now I am just worried that it will take too many months before I can walk unaided and regain my independence. I realize I am bored to tears because I have been in the house for about 7 weeks now which can play havoc on the mood but I am just basically trying to get positive again. I wonder what others who have had bilateral replacements do to stay positive; how long it will be before I walked normally, and when the pain stops. I know every journey is different but am curious as I sit here at midnight unable to sleep yet again because all I do is nap, walk, and exercise and ice my knees. I sound like an absolute negative nelly. I need some hope. Thanks!

Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.