Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.

Comment from: gailbrowneyes, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I had both of my knees replaced on 9-23-2014. I had the most awesome, caring surgeon. Originally he wanted me to have back surgery because of my lower discs, I refused as did my spine doctor. He kept me going with spine blocks and sent me to the bariatric department, saying I had a metabolic disorder. I had bariatric surgery 8-13-2014 and lost 131 lb. I went to see the doctor and he agreed to replace both of my knees. He only does 5 percent double knee replacements. He knew I would be on wheels and do what I needed to do. Six days after surgery I was walking outside with walker around the nursing facility. At 2 week checkup I was 3 weeks ahead of where I needed to be and haven't stopped since then. For the first time in 20 years I can walk, no pain, no falling. I got a gift in this surgery and surgeon! I am fortunate to have them both replaced at the same time and grateful my surgeon believed in me!

Comment from: specilfrend, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

I had knee replacement surgery in 2012 on the right knee due to severe osteoarthritis. I was in the hospital just 2 days. Because I don't respond well to general anesthesia I had an epidural. Definitely was the way to go for me. I won't lie. The first 4 weeks afterwards were so painful but I toughed it out and even cried during physical therapy. Three years later the knee is doing just great. Later this year, the left one is being done. It is much worse than the right one was. I'm not looking forward to more surgery but it is the only option I have left now. Nothing else has worked. I'm looking forward to less pain and a better quality of life.

Comment from: Mrshonesty, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I had total knee replacement 2 months ago and have had a hard recovery. I am a lupus patient so that's probably why. I was starting to feel better and less pain but leg was swollen including knee and ankle. Today I decided to do a little housework and I had a sharp tearing like weird pain that only lasted a short time and I looked down at knee and it started blowing up like a balloon. I called the doctor and they gave me appointment for Monday and told me to elevate and keep ice on it. I can't walk without my crutches now. I can't put weight on it.

Comment from: Elsie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

I had a total knee replacement (TKR) in March 15. I have been extremely happy with the result. I have great flexion and no pain. Then in August I had TKR on my other knee. This has been a different journey; a lot more pain and nerve pain. The surgeon explained that there had been a lot of soft tissue damage as he removed a number of bone spurs. Physiotherapy has been tough and there has been slow improvement. My flexion is just 100 degrees at 8 weeks. I am having physiotherapy twice a week and I try to get to the pool at least 3 times a week. Walking, once I get going is great; no pain but I still find stairs a challenge. I am hopeful things will improve in time.

Comment from: Barbara, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

I had a total knee replacement in May, 2015. Four months later, I am still in pain. I can walk, which I couldn't do before surgery. I have been religious about physiotherapy. But the knee is sore to the touch; I can't wear long pants yet. It is still swollen. But the worst are the 'electric shocks' that I get, nerve pain. More medicines have not worked. I am heading to a pain specialist.

Comment from: SandyC, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

I have now had both knees replaced, the first on my left knee in 1999 (16 years ago). I was in the hospital for four days, then physical therapy at home for two weeks, then physical therapy (PT) at a rehabilitation place for 20 visits. This knee works perfectly with no pain. One month ago, 8/12/15, I had my right knee replaced. I spent one night in the hospital, and was released to my home. That same day, the in-home physical therapist came and a wheeled walker was delivered along with the best ever machine that exercises that leg. I had the in-home PT for two weeks, then went to the big time physical therapy using the heavy duty machines. I am one month from surgery date. I am walking with almost zero pain in my knee. I am driving my car and going to the store. What I want to say after knee replacement is that, yes, it does hurt and with the exercises and physical therapy that you will have to do after surgery, it hurts even more. But, if you want to get back to living your life with little or no pain in your knees, you must do every exercise that your physician and your physical therapists tell you to do, and they hurt. It is not fun, but do it. If you say it hurts too much so you don't do these exercises, then you will not enjoy the success of the replacement, and you will still be related to experiencing the inability to enjoy your life.

Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.