Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.

Comment from: Lucky, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: July 05

I had total knee replacement of left knee on 5/15/17. I had 9 physiotherapy sessions at home starting on the second week, very little pain. I danced at 4.5 weeks, and played golf at 5.5 weeks. I'm going to have total replacement on my right knee in August, hope it goes as well.

Comment from: Marianne, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I had total knee replacement in 2014. After 5 days in the hospital, I still was not able to bend my knee. It could not touch the floor. I went to outpatient physiotherapy (PT) and they hurt me so bad I screamed while they were manipulating me knee. They also scared me into thinking I had to go back into the hospital and have manipulation under anesthesia. I stopped going completely. I went back to my doctor who told me to just ride the elliptical bike at my gym. That proved to be the best for me. Now on 6/26/17 I had my other knee done at a different hospital by a different younger doctor with a different technique. I was walking 3 hours after surgery. There is stiffness and tightness of course but a wonderful completely successful operation this time. In home physiotherapist said my knee is so good, I most likely won't have to go for outpatient PT.

Comment from: Bella, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I am 6 weeks from total knee replacement and just starting to get lower back pain while walking. My knee is still a little stiff and I am wondering if my back is adjusting to the new knee or if it is from the spinal from surgery. I thought I was doing well till I went grocery shopping and the pain in my back was awful!

Comment from: Mary-Ellen , 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I had bilateral knee replacement March, 2017. I was in the surgical hospital for 3 days and transferred to a rehabilitation hospital for 14 days. Physiotherapy (PT) at rehab was twice a day, 6 days a week. Then I was sent home (using a walker) had 2 weeks PT at home. This was followed by one month (3 times a week) at PT Center. It's now 13 weeks post surgery and I am back at work. The pain in the beginning was bad. Not being able to do things for my self was even worse. I was given pain medications and they would wear off in 3 hours and had to be supplemented with Tylenol, which didn't work. Pain patches didn't either. Remember to take your stool softeners as opioids constipate big time. I no longer go to PT, but have joined the gym to continue to build up the quadriceps. I have no pain now, but my knees are still sensitive to blankets and are stiff. I am walking with no assistance (cane or walker). Would I do it again? But of course not!

Comment from: dianeb, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 03

I am going on the 10th week after total knee replacement of the right leg. It still has swelling and I am in extreme pain. I see the doctor next Wednesday. When I saw him a week ago he said my tissue may be rejecting the appliances that he put in. I don't know what can be done next. I had do much pain last night, never went to sleep.

Comment from: Becky, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 03

I had a total knee replacement on 4/5/17. I guess I am not the normal patient, for after 2 weeks in therapy I was walking without a cane or assistance. I have had some issues with swelling and getting the kneecap to stabilize. I am working on that. I am having some weird pain but the nerves are healing. I am having some problems with sleeping at night. The area around the scar is still very tender. I can walk now where I couldn't before so I am happy with that. I am working on my balance as I have walked with a bent leg for so long. My range of flex is at 135 and it will go completely straight if I keep doing the exercises. With the knee being fixed now the hip is giving me problems but my doctor already told me that would need to be replaced in time.

Comment from: Grams6charms , 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

I had total knee replacement (TKR) back in March 2016. I had the worst pain ever for 5 or 6 months after. Physiotherapy was done, my knee continued to fail and I insisted on MRI to figure out reason for the swelling, horrible pain, and inability to sleep due to pain. I finally got test done only to hear I needed to see a revision specialist to fix my knee. I had to undergo yet another knee surgery to replace a part, add more cushion due to knee instability and had my knee drained of fluid. I ended up with blood clots behind my calf and was put on Coumadin for 3 months. I'm 4 months out from my 2nd surgery and still experiencing brutal pain, swelling and muscle spasms. Given a choice now, I can honestly say I'd never go through this ordeal ever again. I'm so frustrated and angry with these 2 knee surgeries which has left me in worse shape. I also know many people who've had the TKR and have done amazing. I just cannot believe mine went so wrong.

Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.