Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.

Comment from: lees1953, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I had a total left knee replacement 12/12/16; and was told by the doctor the knee was one of the worst he had ever seen and he had to do a lot of filing away of the arthritis on the bone to bone side and I had a bone spur on the outer side of the knee. This has been the worst thing I have ever been through and would never do the right knee. I was extremely allergic to the pain medications given at the hospital; Percocet and can't remember what all they tried. I cried at physiotherapy (PT) so much they have sent me to a pain clinic. I am on methadone and know the challenges with that but it is the only thing that has touched the pain and it is not gone; just subdued. I go back to pain clinic this week to see if they will accept me as a patient; there are a lot of physical barriers that must be confirmed by your general physician before they will accept you as a client. I am hoping I am healthy enough to go through this regime; I don't know what I will do if not. The pain medication the surgeon gave was worthless. I am doing well at PT with 110 degree bend and can lift 45 lb with the bad leg. But the pain; I have not slept the night through in so long I cannot remember. The surgeon seems to care less but I find the pain doctor to be very empathetic. I have been in pure agony and feel sorry for my husband having to listen to it all. They said the possibility was I didn't have enough bone left for the prosthesis to bind to; kind of late to be finding this out! I am surprised they could not know this beforehand. Hate to scare people but this has been the worst part of my life and I have been through cancer; death of a spouse, lots of issues but this story will top them all. Thank you.

Comment from: Pat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I am a 60 year old female who has suffered with arthritis for many years. I have had arthroscopy in both knees but still had bone on bone pain. Eventually I had full knee replacement surgery on right knee on 31st December 2016. If I am really honest, I am not quite sure what to make of it. I am 4 weeks in now, doing exercises, going to physiotherapist, getting around the house on one crutch but use two if go out. The exercises are painful and I get very, very tired when doing any household chores, even having a shower leaves me feeling shattered. Not sleeping very well either, very restless. On reading the booklet the hospital gave me this is all normal but I feel that I should be doing more. Hopefully all will get much better with time, fingers crossed!

Comment from: Gail, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I had my second total knee replacement on my right knee on 1/10/17. This has been life changing. Before having the right knee done, it was badly contracted (bent) and the pain in my knee, leg and foot was unbearable. Immediately after the surgery, as soon as I was able to stand up, I noticed the difference right away. I had my left knee replaced on 10/27/15. That surgery was very extensive; the tissues were damaged and the bone was soft. So I had to keep my leg extended with minimal weight bearing for almost 3 weeks. Then I began outpatient therapy. It took quite a while for the therapist to get the knee to bend. I can only get the left one to 90 or 95 degrees. However, with my right one, the in-home therapist has already gotten my knee to 95 degrees flexion. The key to a successful surgery is to find a surgeon who does a number of replacement surgeries per day. A teaching hospital is a good choice as they do lots of replacement surgeries and have the experience and the protocols in place to handle any problems or 'non-text book' surgeries that occur.

Comment from: moe, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 27

Wow, what a change! I had my total knee replacement done 1/24/17. I was walking on it that night. There was some pain but not bad. The next day I was discharged home. I am doing the exercises I was told to do. I got to my therapy on day 3 and was told it would be my worst day. My pain level was a 3. I am very happy.

Comment from: Docule, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

My total knee replacement surgery was in the end of November 2016. I was very fortunate in that my surgery and recovery has gone great. My best advice is to stay ahead of the pain, and push yourself to do the physical therapy; and ice your knee regularly. I was able to go back to work at 5 weeks. Although I have a stool to prop my leg on under my desk, I have to get up every 1 to 1 1/2 hours to walk around and I often ice my knee during the work day. At 8 weeks I am getting a better handle on pain; although when I ramp up my activity level I can definitely tell! I have started doing the stairs at work to try to improve my muscle strength and flexibility in my knee. I'm not setting any speed records, but it is helping. Good Luck everyone!

Comment from: jeff59, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 26

I am 57 years old. I had left knee total knee replacement done on 1/18/2017. I had multiple surgeries prior including a high tibial osteotomy. I am 6 ft 1 inch and 220 lb. I was active before surgery, but had bone on bone with pain. Following surgery, I was up on it same day walking with a walker. Pain immediately after surgery was limited. After nerve blocks wore off at approximately 30 hours post-surgery I experienced about 12 hours of 8/10 pain. I took only Toradol IV at hospital. I was released 24 hours after surgery. I took 2 oxycodone every four hours at home for about 24 hours, then none. I went to physical therapy day 5 post operation. I had almost full extension; 98 degrees of flexion. I am walking with walker still on day 7, but am able to get around the house without it. I went back for a day of work on day 6, back to work again on day 7. Pain is still present and ranges in severity, but never overwhelming. Sometimes pain will seem to spike around the joint, and then dissipate fairly rapidly. I haven't had any missteps yet, couple of times it feels as if I am hyper-extending but no problems as of now. Will update later.

Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.