Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.

Comment from: Kneeresults64, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I had total knee replacement surgery on 2/3/2014 and am in my 14th week recovery. I had left total knee replacement. Range of motion is 118, lots of work, doing swimming has had the best results; doing biking in pool, weights using noodles, and a lot of walking. Physical therapist has seen results in strength, taken off cane, and I am using no drugs, but still have stiffness on the outside knee with swelling in ankle and knee cap. Now I am using the juicer for strength and for swelling; can"t give up.

Comment from: AnnieBonVin, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I had my first knee replaced in January 2014 and my second knee 6 weeks later in March 2014. I almost cancelled the second one because I just didn"t want to go through the pain and pain pills side effects again, but my better sense won. Knee #2 is doing fantastic - nothing but a little surgical pain, great flex. However, knee #1 is not so great. It was the more damaged knee which is why they tell me it could take a lot longer to heal. I have shooting pain in knee #1 up the medial and/or posterior side of my leg when I walk. Not when I"m sitting or doing the bike or anything else - all weight bearing pain. It has great flex. I"ve gone through all the physical therapy (PT), I"m on my own PT schedule now. I"ve been told to stop exercise walking and let it heal - it"s been almost 4 months for knee #1. It"s going to be a very long year.

Comment from: Cecilia, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I had my 2nd total knee replacement (TKR) 11 weeks ago (left knee). I had better pain control during and after surgery. My physiotherapist is pleased with my bending, and all other exercises. The main problem this time is acute knee cap pain when bending the knee. My surgeon said this patella was very thin and could only do so much smoothing of the surface. This is frustrating and I wonder if this is causing the pain. And wonder if it will go away. I didn"t have this with my right TKR. Bending angle is 120 today.

Comment from: cvskier, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

Going on day 15 after total knee replacement. I've quit taking Percocet last Saturday. I was getting very backed up and my stomach was queasy all the time. I am now taking Norco, small amount before physical therapy and feeling much better. I am an overachiever so it's really hard not to push too hard. Go slow. I do go up and down stairs now and don"t use a cane or walker. I will be glad to have my life back.

Comment from: Denzil, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 12

I had total knee replacement (TKR) in May 2013, had a lot of pain. Doctor said x-rays looked good. I then saw another surgeon in the same practice and he said my muscle was hanging up. I had a revision surgery in February 2014 and they removed the muscle and now the knee feels unstable and I have lots of pain! Now my other knee is causing a lot of pain, I would never do this again, I"m messed up now, cannot walk without a cane. Don"t get your knee replaced if you can hold off!

Comment from: WyseOne, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I had both of my knees replaced (6 weeks apart) at the end of last year. Horrible pain! The pain medicines turned me irritable. I did use the continuous passive motion (CPM) on the first leg, but not the second. I wish I had – recovery was much easier on the first leg. I went to physical therapy religiously for a total of 10 weeks and now I"m climbing stairs, up and down, for the first time in 10 years. It was the longest and worst pain I had ever gone through, but I have a very supportive family, and determination to follow instruction. Regarding physical therapy (it was tough!), I am so very glad I did it, it has changed my life for the better by 100%. I hope to never have to do it again though.

Comment from: darjean, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

I had total knee replacement on March 4, 2014. So I am only 7 weeks out. I injured my knee at work 2 years ago. After that the little arthritis I had escalated. After 13 shots and arthroscopic surgery it was time for the replacement. The strong pain medications in the hospital made me ill. Percocet I believe. I'm not throwing up but have no appetite and am feeling horrible. Won"t take those again! I had real trouble after that getting my strength back. Someone else said this is not for the faint of heart. Definitely don"t want to discourage anyone from having the surgery, but it is grueling at times and hard work. I was in the hospital 3 days. Started physical therapy right away. I am now in water therapy, which is great. I still use a cane occasionally when I have been on my leg for a long time and start to limp. One of the biggest problems I had was constipation after surgery. It is no joke. Take stool softeners and drink fiber drink for as long as you need. My system is just now getting to be somewhat normal. That was almost worse than the surgery. Everyone"s experience is different. I saw one lady at therapy that had both knees done and was 2 months out and she was going great guns. I have a new found admiration and respect for people who have both done at once. Thank God my left knee doesn"t need it yet. I am 58 and hope it will be many more years before that happens. My therapists say I am doing great, the stiffness and soreness is something I will live with for maybe forever. I can handle it as long as it isn"t pain. It is true that you have to do the exercises and stay moving or you seize up!

Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.