Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.

Comment from: lchisesi, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 06

I had total knee replacement of my left knee 6 days ago June 27, 2016. I have been taking 10 MG opioid with 325 acetaminophen every 6 hours. It is hard to stretch it out past that. Sleeping isn't great, I get 2 to 3 hours then leg is really stiff and I need to get up. I started riding bike at day 4 for 10 minutes, up to 2 sessions per day for twelve minutes. I am doing hourly flex and extend exercises and twice a day strengthening exercises. I am using prunes, apple sauce and wheat bran to prevent constipation, and it is working well. I get really sore at hour 4 of pain medicine and can't do much more work, so gut it out till pill time and try again. I am a regular Pilates exerciser and have a program ready to start after 2 weeks of healing. Hope it helps!

Comment from: hunterspaw, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 01

I had right total knee replacement on 4/25/2016 and have no problems sleeping. I took medicines and worked hard on physical therapy. I was driving at 2 weeks and playing golf at 4 weeks. I went back to work at 6 weeks (maintenance technician) and my knee never felt better. I am 49 years old and this is the best thing I have done. After 5 weeks I had zero straight and 130 bend. I cannot wait to have my left knee done

Comment from: steelback, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 27

I had my knee replacement 5 weeks ago. I am walking around the house without crutches and I manage to go the shops 50 yards away with 1 crutch. Somedays are better than others. As regards the pain, I have not had a full night's sleep yet. As soon as you put your feet in the bed the pain starts but it is improving every day. I try not to take to many painkillers, the last time I can remember being constipated was about 40 years ago, so I lay off them Co-codamol but you have to push yourself to get there.

Comment from: Hopeful, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

I am seven weeks past my total knee replacement and this is my first week back to work. Although physiotherapy was trying to prepare me to go back to work, all the walking and standing has been killing me. I don't sleep well at night because my knee and sides of my legs ache. The scar is super sensitive and the skin over my kneecap burns when you touch it, even with bed sheets. My knee remains feeling heavy, stiff and achy. And it doesn't feel like I'll ever be anywhere close to normal any time soon. The original pain is gone, but I didn't have any idea I would be trading it for something equally bothersome. I am still propped up by pain pills and muscle relaxers. I have been an obedient patient and have done all I've been asked, but it still seems like a long haul.

Comment from: lynn, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I had a total knee replacement on 4/6/16, it has been a little over two months, and it is still painful. Some days are better than others. I am going to physiotherapy, it is stiff at times and I have numbness in my foot. I also ice it a couple times a day. I have cut down on pain medications where some days I only take a half of pill and later in the day take Advil. Other days I will end up taking half of pill in the morning and another half in the evening. I really didn't think that it would take this long for a pain free recovery and I am very concerned because I am still using pain medications. My physiotherapist says it takes time.

Comment from: luke71352, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 10

I am 3 weeks post operation for total knee replacement yesterday. This is my fifth major knee rehabilitation so I'm kind of a pro at it now. I think the doctors don't do a good enough job with forming good patient habits pre-operation. If you are sedentary and out of shape you will have extreme difficulty, no question about it. People need to start working out, losing weight and strengthening and creating flexibility in the muscles and tendons around the surgical joint before the surgery, as best they possibly can. I realize this will vary with the individual but I believe it is absolutely critical to do as much in preparation as you can. Believe me it will pay off. I am probably in the worst shape of my life but I am already at 2 degrees extension, 125 degrees flexion, walking 2 miles per day and doing 10 to 12 miles every other day on the recumbent bike (best rehab tool in the book in my opinion). Yes, it is painful but the pain is manageable and without prescription drugs (If you are on oxycodone please toss it and clear your heads, people). As long as your doctor says you are ok full load bearing as tolerated, you are only limited by the mass situated above your neck.

Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.