Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.

Comment from: Curt, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 02

I had my knee kicked in a couple years ago, and have undergone two left knee surgeries. My knee pain is worse now, than before both surgeries. Prolonged standing is miserable. After a couple hours, I have to sit down. If I go 2 or 3 hours without sitting, I can barely walk the next day. The doctor who performed both surgeries is acting like everything is ok. The 1st surgery was arthroscopic chondroplasty of the apex and lateral facet of the patella; arthroscopic extensor tendon realignment with arthroscopic lateral retinacular release and arthroscopic medial retinacular plication with percutaneous multiple suture placement and arthroscopic knot tying technique. The 2nd surgery was arthroscopic assisted medial patellofemoral ligament reconstruction using semitendinosus allograft and internal fixation, i.e. Cayenne Aperfix anchor for femur and Gryphon anchors on the patella. They did arthroscopic assisted distal extensor tendon realignment by performing a tibial tubercle osteotomy with medicalization and internal fixation, i.e. three 6.0 cancellous screws with washers and medical retinacular plication, i.e. proximal extensor tendon realignment.

Comment from: Kelly, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I had total right knee replacement in July 2016 and was in excruciating pain. I screamed and cried for three days after surgery until the doctors were able to find pain medications that worked. I was in the hospital for four days and went through four months of physical therapy 3 times a week. I swore I would never do it again; I hated my new knee, etc. Well, it has now been 9 months and I have a completely different outlook. I love my knee. I can do anything; it doesn't hurt at all. I have 128 degree range of motion and am thrilled with the outcome. You must diligently do the physical therapy; it is imperative to recovery. I now may have to have the left knee done. I'm emotionally gearing myself up for the pain I know I will have to endure before the end result that I want can be achieved. At least now I know what to expect.

Comment from: Linda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I had a total right knee replacement on July 15, 2016 which went well. I was in the hospital three days and then went to a rehabilitation facility for 21 days. Then I had home health and did outpatient physical therapy (PT) after that. My right knee has very little pain or stiffness. I had a total left knee replacement on Oct 28, 2016. I had a complication with a blood clot in the calf area. That set me back by about a month. The left knee still gets stiff. I was in the hospital for three days and then rehabilitation for 21 days and home health and then outpatient PT. Keep doing the exercises to help the knees get stronger. I have good range of motion in both knees for bending and good range of motion for having the knees straight. I would recommend a stationary bike as it really helps with the knees feeling good.

Comment from: Joan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I am a 56 year old female who has had bilateral knee replacements approximately 8 months ago. I have to say I am so happy to have them done at the same time. I finished my physiotherapy after 4 months with a 113 knee bend (which is lower than most people who post). I swim laps for 30 minutes each morning and walk for one hour at a medium rate. I do take one Advil in the morning and one at dinner. I am an overweight person but thrilled with my progress. It was the best decision because I just retired last year and I am enjoying my walks and vacations without the pain I used to face.

Comment from: Thea Oakes, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 20

I had total knee replacement in March 2017. Pain levels have been off the scale at times, despite medication, and the medications do not agree with me. I feel like a zombie and cannot sleep more than an hour at a time, or get comfortable. The physiotherapy is so painful I almost passed out and my knee is swollen and bending difficult. I don't feel good about this at this stage and would have my old knee back; although it was in a very bad way, it let me have some quality of life. People tell me it will get better, I am hopeful, but I read here of many who still have problems as well as successes.

Comment from: Silver lining, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 19

I had both knees replaced early February 2017. I was in hospital rehabilitation for two weeks on crutches. After nearly two weeks at home I was walking without them. I did physiotherapy twice a week for a month plus exercises 3 times a day. I went back to work after 2 months. It is imperative you do these exercises religiously. I still get pain in the knees, aching back, painful hamstrings and general leg muscle pains. I can bend my knees 100 degrees and this is increasing. While this has been the worst ordeal of my life so far, I know it will all be worth it.

Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.