Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.

Comment from: Sherry7888, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

I just had total knee replacement last week. I'm having lots of pain and using the knee-bender machine. I'd like to know if you can put your weight on the knee that had the surgery, and how long will it take to get better? I start physiotherapy (physical therapy) next week.

Comment from: ken, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 03

I had total knee replacement done on my right knee about eight years ago when I was 49 years old. I now need a latissimus dorsi tendon transfer on my right shoulder. I've heard this surgery has an approximate six-month recovery time. I have decided to have my left knee replaced so I can recover at the same time to minimize the time I will have off work. I can tell you that my total knee replacement was the best thing I could have done. Yes, the rehab takes a while and you have to push yourself to get the strength back, but it is worth it.

Comment from: terry, Male (Patient) Published: April 22

I had my left knee totally replaced 13 years ago. It went great! I was back up and walking in a couple of days, and back to work in less than six weeks. Just recently I had the same surgery on my right knee. This time, I was up walking two hours after I was in my room. I went home less than 24 hours after surgery (I walked out under my own power). I started physiotherapy the next day. My range of motion was 80 degrees. With physiotherapy, two days later the range was up to 110 degrees. I'm cycling, walking without a limp, and feel I'm pretty much fully recovered.

Comment from: sad and lonely, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

I had a total knee replacement on my left knee in September of 2007. The pain would not stop after surgery. I was told that I wasn't exercising enough. Finally, in November, a therapist discovered the kneecap was dislocated. I saw my surgeon; he was going to do another surgery to repair it. Then I started getting signs of infection. The pain of getting up and down and walking makes it necessary to take pain meds regularly. On Monday, November 3, 2008, I am scheduled to have surgery to remove the knee for three months to get rid of the infection. This has been a nightmare for me. I am a 54-year-old female who lives alone. People don't want to help me. I can't drive. I can walk a short distance with a walker. I am in constant pain. I had no idea that I could have these complications. I had heard such great things about knee replacement. Now I have to have it removed because of infection that I probably got in my first surgery. If it doesn't work: amputation. That is what they tell me now. I would not recommend that anyone go through knee replacement until there is no other option.

Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.