Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.

Comment from: Annie J., 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

My total knee replacement was with a Smith & Nephew minimally invasive knee. It has been a pain-free surgery and recovery has been swift. No problems. I did go to rehabilitation center for twice daily physical therapy for ten days which was like a spa situation: healthy food others cooked, someone else cleaned the room, TV decent and new, nice view out window, and skilled staff who were warm and genuine caretakers. Amazing place to stay and get mobile. I used walker one day, cane two days, and then device free after surgery. I spent three nights in hospital, then to rehab center for ten days, then home. No trouble driving or being mobile to do what's necessary and desirable. Will be on my boat in a week, solo, for remainder of summer and into fall season.

Comment from: ksntls63, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I had left total knee replacement (TKR) on 6/3/14 and doing great. Really no issues except for problems with Demerol, but stopped that on 6/8. Luckily I started on stool softeners in hospital and no issues with that. I was lucky to already have plenty of muscle build up in my legs/thighs so no problems with strength or leg straightening. My issue is the bending, but gets better every week. Surgeon said also as swelling goes down the more range I will get back. I'm glad I had it done as I have no pain, not even a few days out of surgery. It gets extremely sore after physiotherapy, but I'd worry if it didn't. Found out 2 weeks ago I have torn the meniscus in my left knee so surgery is scheduled 8/5/14. Looking forward to getting back to the gym full force again and living life. If you are given the opportunity to take a class on TKR offered by the surgical hospital, go! So much great information. Good luck everyone.

Comment from: Dawn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I had a total knee replacement 4 weeks and 3 days ago. I am so miserable. I've been in constant pain ever since. I saw my surgeon yesterday and he was very displeased with my range of motion which is only 75. I don't know what to do. I'm going to therapy 5 days a week, but my knee is so painful I just can't bend it enough. Doctor says I have two weeks and after that wants to put me in the hospital for knee modification.

Comment from: Lori, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 16

I am 60 years old and an elementary school teacher and had a total knee replacement (TKR) on April 21, 2014. It was a surgery not for the faint of heart. I planned on joining my family in Peru in 8 weeks and told my surgeon this. He said, 'work hard and you will do it.' Well I did and it was worth it. I worked harder than I ever have in my life. I pushed through the pain, which there was a lot of, and did my exercises religiously and iced and iced, used the leg machine and basically did nothing else but take care of myself for the first 6 weeks. My son thought there was no way I could do it, but 8 weeks later I walked into the Amazon jungle and brought school supplies and saw the clean water system he and my other son and husband had worked on. I was able to continue onto Machu Pichu and walk around the relics with the assistance of hiking poles. I never gave up and you shouldn't either. Yes, it was a horrible surgery but I am getting my life back and loving it. Stay as positive as you can and work. It is worth it!

Comment from: joza, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 16

Today makes 6 weeks out from total knee replacement surgery. Yes, the first two weeks were hard, it does get better. They key is therapy and keep moving. I can't sit for long periods of time, so that was good for me. I had a range of motion over 120 at two weeks. Now to keep it straight. I am going to therapy 3 times a week, and it is tough. I started driving at two weeks out, and it is my right knee. The doctor told me to go ahead, and it is easier than before the surgery. We all have good days and not so good days. I am still taking pain medicine a couple of times a week, mostly Aleve. It will get better. I hope to go back to work in a couple of weeks. I went from the walker to nothing. I still have the walker in my car, if I need it. Some people say you are doing great, others say you are pushing too hard, probably both. Just do what you feel like, and remember no pain, no gain.

Comment from: GinnyE, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 23

I had total replacement of my left knee done in January 2014 and I was back bowling in seven weeks. Normal surgery pain, and minor rehabilitation pain. I had the right knee done five weeks ago and I had the normal surgical pain, but I am in agony. I can walk, have 120 range of motion but the swelling is grotesque and the pain above the knee cap and the outside of the leg never stops. I ice constantly, have been given medications to control swelling, but the pain never ends. The doctor said it is progressing fine, but is think I am getting a little depressed with the constant pain. I would go through both surgeries again because my knees hurt so bad before surgery, however that pain was somewhat controllable. I am hoping for relief soon.

Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.