Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.

Comment from: Linda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 24

Two years ago, I had a total knee replacement. Post-surgery, the pain I now have is much worse than pre-surgery. I've been living with this for 2 years! The doctor admits he used a replacement that is too big for me. Now, I am having trouble with my other knee, probably because I have to baby the bad leg.

Comment from: susiebella, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I could barely walk when I decided to have my total knee replacement. I had a total knee replacement on 8/31/15. The first two weeks the pain was pretty bad, and I didn't sleep much at all but by the third week I was doing very well. I had very little swelling. I took oxycodone for pain. I did not have general anesthesia I had a block with Versed. Either I was very lucky or my doctor was amazing. Today 11-17-15. I am a new person; pain free!

Comment from: Cindy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I am so disappointed after almost 5 months with total right knee replacement surgery. It has hurt daily since surgery. Surgery, post-surgery, and therapy went very well according to the surgeon, but I never got better. X-rays show no problem and doctor has no idea what is wrong. Can't really tell if I am running a fever or not because I take 800 mg Motrin every eight hours to help with the swelling and the throbbing. Yes it is still swollen. I am terrified it will not get better and I hope every day that it will get better!

Comment from: BJ8118, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

I had total knee replacement (TKR) in October of 2015, I am 6 weeks out and still in pain. I can manage it somewhat with Ibuprofen, but it is still quite painful and swollen. My doctor and physiotherapist say I am ahead of where I should be on exercise and motion. I am religious about doing the drill. I ice but then I am really cold and I seem to be cold since the surgery. No one says what normal is, or even what the relative expectations are. The only information I get is that everyone is different. Even a ball park figure would be helpful.

Comment from: JRJ, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 16

Well, I had my total knee replacement on August 20th. One hour after being put in my room I was up and walking the halls. I went home 27 hours after surgery. Pain was insane, not the right medications to be sent home with. I called after 2 days of pain and trouble sleeping, so now I'm at that knee popping point that everyone says, oh it is ok, it's normal. I am still having pain when I get up from sitting, and I have to have other knee done in January. This is all from the pounding on my knee from my job, I drove a truck and was a delivery guy; jumping in and out of truck carrying heavy loads all day, and running up down stairs with those loads; 25 years' worth of it.

Comment from: gailbrowneyes, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I had both of my knees replaced on 9-23-2014. I had the most awesome, caring surgeon. Originally he wanted me to have back surgery because of my lower discs, I refused as did my spine doctor. He kept me going with spine blocks and sent me to the bariatric department, saying I had a metabolic disorder. I had bariatric surgery 8-13-2014 and lost 131 lb. I went to see the doctor and he agreed to replace both of my knees. He only does 5 percent double knee replacements. He knew I would be on wheels and do what I needed to do. Six days after surgery I was walking outside with walker around the nursing facility. At 2 week checkup I was 3 weeks ahead of where I needed to be and haven't stopped since then. For the first time in 20 years I can walk, no pain, no falling. I got a gift in this surgery and surgeon! I am fortunate to have them both replaced at the same time and grateful my surgeon believed in me!

Comment from: specilfrend, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

I had knee replacement surgery in 2012 on the right knee due to severe osteoarthritis. I was in the hospital just 2 days. Because I don't respond well to general anesthesia I had an epidural. Definitely was the way to go for me. I won't lie. The first 4 weeks afterwards were so painful but I toughed it out and even cried during physical therapy. Three years later the knee is doing just great. Later this year, the left one is being done. It is much worse than the right one was. I'm not looking forward to more surgery but it is the only option I have left now. Nothing else has worked. I'm looking forward to less pain and a better quality of life.

Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.