Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.

Comment from: Carol G., 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

I had total knee replacement (TKR) done August 6, 2014, today is two weeks and I am walking without assistance. I have in home physical therapy (PT) four times a week and will be going outpatient on the third week. I did pool exercise for 6 months before surgery faithfully four times a week and this is what helped me heal so quickly. I will be back in the pool next week. I will be getting the other knee done in a few months. It was not a bad surgery the key is to elevate, exercise, and ice. And pick the best doctor! Good luck and be positive, that is also very important.

Comment from: Ricko, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 11

I am a male 74 years young. Before my operation on 2nd June 2014 I found it painful to put weight on my left knee so I decided to have a total knee replacement (TKR). For 6 weeks prior to surgery I carried out prescribed exercises. This was to have been most beneficial in the long run as I went through the procedure with flying colors. Having said that, pain management was something I had issues with and even now almost 10 weeks after surgery I experience sharp stabbing pains in my knee when I sleep, not during the day, only at night. I am doing all the exercises and go to the gym every 2nd day, mind you I am glad I had the operation I'm sure the pain will go away. I am going back to playing golf next week and that is something I could not even contemplate before the operation. Good luck to you all.

Comment from: tmd760, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 08

I am into day 15 after total knee replacement surgery. I stayed for 2 nights at the hospital and I chose to have 'at home' physiotherapy (PT). My therapist is very good and helps me push myself to obtain great range of motion. I am motivated, since I leave for Hawaii in early September. I start office PT next Monday (day 21). Overall, I am pleased with results although I still feel stiff. But exercise is the key to adding mobility to your new knee joint. I ice 3 to 4 times/day. Good luck to all.

Comment from: Shirley, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I had total knee replacement (TKR) on left knee 2 years ago and everything went well, it took a year to recover and after two years I am going well on it. I had TKR on right knee 18 weeks ago and I am suffering severe pain at night which I did not experience last time past 10 weeks. Also pain at right side of knee when exercising. I have tried reflexology which seems to be helping so I will continue with that. I also massage the knee area with baby oil which helps.

Comment from: Jackie D, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I just turned 50 and had a right knee replacement 6 months ago. I wish I had done it sooner. I had a torn meniscus, damaged ACL and a golf ball sized bone spur behind my knee. I was in so much pain. My doctor is very modern thinking. I had a nerve block inserted into my right leg and never had any pain post-surgery that is until physiotherapy. I did not have staples or stitches that needed to be removed but rather dissolving sutures and skin glue. My scar is currently a long thin line. I still have some swelling but I was told that would subside after 1 year. I went back to work after 4 weeks and started personal training 2 months after. I am working with a trainer who has created a routine to work with my new knee. I still have stiffness some days but I am grateful to not have pain.

Comment from: Kara, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

This Tuesday will make my 1 month mark with getting a total left knee replacement. I never expected so much pain afterward. The surgery went well, nothing to worry about there, but there will be a lot of pain in the weeks to follow. I am now just beginning to feel like myself again. Prepare yourself prior to surgery. I will get my right knee done next year. I will make sure I lose some weight and make sure by exercise my right leg is strong. I feel it will help. At first I thought the worst thing I had done was to get a knee replacement, but now I can slowly see results. You have to be patient and know the pain will eventually ease with time. You will have to work hard with physiotherapy (PT), and not give up. It helps to have support!

Comment from: MalteseMom2, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

I had total knee replacement (TKR) of my right knee on May 8, 2014 and so far disappointed. First, nerve block did not work and I woke up feeling like someone opened my knee up with a machete. They loaded me up with morphine, Toradol, Dilaudid and finally I went out for the count. That's probably the only time I didn't feel pain. When my bandage came off I had a horrible blood blister about the size of a half dollar. Eleven weeks later it's still not healed at about 95%. Pain is horrible and cannot sleep and take hydrocodone and oxycodone. Let's not even talk about constipation. So now I've been told to discontinue physiotherapy (PT) for 2 weeks, put on prednisone to reduce the bad swelling, Voltaren analgesic gel, and go back in a month. I'm probably going to allow a year before I can say this was worth it. I feel they wasted a year not doing the surgery, with cortisone shots, a $1300 brace, $1200 viscous one shot, and arthroscopic surgery. So now I wait. I drive, walk without a cane but always pain at about a 6 to 7. I can't straighten my leg out but range of motion (ROM) is 120 and I think this should be better.

Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.