Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.

Comment from: Babsone, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I am in chronic pain three years after knee replacement, day and night. My knee will buckle without warning. I have not been able to get any helpful answers.

Comment from: joe, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 20

I have had bleeding in the knee since total knee replacement and the doctor does not know why.

Comment from: TCgary42, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I am 13 days out after having a left total knee replacement. It has been the worst thing I have ever had to deal with. The pain is unbelievable and I can't sleep, I can't stand to walk, the majority of the pain is in the inside right part of the knee. I have had five prior operations to clean out the knee and repair the tears and such, even a partial that didn't last three years. I do physical therapy but it doesn't help. I suffer from sever degenerative arthritis.

Comment from: debra, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I'm a 57-year-old woman who has a very difficult job on my feet all the time. I had my left knee replaced I have been in excruciating pain. It's been 4 months and my surgeon acts like I'm faking my pain. I'm trying not to take pain medications but have to have them when I get off work and to sleep on. Thinking of getting second opinion!

Comment from: Gigi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I had a total knee replacement (TKR) on July 1, 2013. There was some pain and swelling in the knee. I'm mobile, walking, doing physical therapy twice a week. It was hard. I never felt that kind of pain before and cried a lot. I will not be getting the other knee done. I hope to return to work soon.

Comment from: kykelly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I am 53 with MS. I had 7 previous knee surgeries on the right due to an initial accident skiing in my teens. Also working 26 years as a RN didn't help. I had a TRK, three weeks ago. I came from the recovery room at 10pm and was up at 8 am walking.

Comment from: Lucky 10, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 20

I'm entering my fifth week post knee replacement. After 10 surgeries on my knee, this is by far toughest of all from a recovery and pain management standpoint. Sleeping is very difficult and far more challenging than my prior partial recovery.

Comment from: Zoey, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

Total knee replacement has left me with constant pain and swelling 2 years post op.

Comment from: M, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 10

I had a total right knee replacement 10 months ago and I am still having pain and it gets stiff when I walk a lot or go up and down stairs and especially when I stand on one spot for any length of time like doing dishes. My doctor cannot figure out why I am having such a hard time. I have not gone one day without pain since my surgery and like I said my doctor doesn't know why and can't answer my questions. Any suggestions?

Comment from: gino, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 25

I have had a knee rep 08-26-2009 had a accident, it was the worst pain I have ever felt in my life. it never got better, I walk In terrible pain, and can not walk very far. the doc makes me feel like it is all my fault or that i'm faking . i'm 43 now and very limited walking and other things like now my back out every other month especially when I try to be active, this is the worst thing I ever had to deal with in my life I cant work, or find work now in my field as a electrician cause I need to use a cane most of the time ss keeps denying me and iv been struggling to raise my 12 year old daughther and make ends meet my wife works but dos not make enough so I can tell you this is the worst thing you can do if u can avoid it, please don't do it. I had no choice, see I had a work accident.

Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.