Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.

Comment from: Dawn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I had a total knee replacement 4 weeks and 3 days ago. I am so miserable. I've been in constant pain ever since. I saw my surgeon yesterday and he was very displeased with my range of motion which is only 75. I don't know what to do. I'm going to therapy 5 days a week, but my knee is so painful I just can't bend it enough. Doctor says I have two weeks and after that wants to put me in the hospital for knee modification.

Comment from: Lori, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 16

I am 60 years old and an elementary school teacher and had a total knee replacement (TKR) on April 21, 2014. It was a surgery not for the faint of heart. I planned on joining my family in Peru in 8 weeks and told my surgeon this. He said, 'work hard and you will do it.' Well I did and it was worth it. I worked harder than I ever have in my life. I pushed through the pain, which there was a lot of, and did my exercises religiously and iced and iced, used the leg machine and basically did nothing else but take care of myself for the first 6 weeks. My son thought there was no way I could do it, but 8 weeks later I walked into the Amazon jungle and brought school supplies and saw the clean water system he and my other son and husband had worked on. I was able to continue onto Machu Pichu and walk around the relics with the assistance of hiking poles. I never gave up and you shouldn't either. Yes, it was a horrible surgery but I am getting my life back and loving it. Stay as positive as you can and work. It is worth it!

Comment from: joza, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 16

Today makes 6 weeks out from total knee replacement surgery. Yes, the first two weeks were hard, it does get better. They key is therapy and keep moving. I can't sit for long periods of time, so that was good for me. I had a range of motion over 120 at two weeks. Now to keep it straight. I am going to therapy 3 times a week, and it is tough. I started driving at two weeks out, and it is my right knee. The doctor told me to go ahead, and it is easier than before the surgery. We all have good days and not so good days. I am still taking pain medicine a couple of times a week, mostly Aleve. It will get better. I hope to go back to work in a couple of weeks. I went from the walker to nothing. I still have the walker in my car, if I need it. Some people say you are doing great, others say you are pushing too hard, probably both. Just do what you feel like, and remember no pain, no gain.

Comment from: GinnyE, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 23

I had total replacement of my left knee done in January 2014 and I was back bowling in seven weeks. Normal surgery pain, and minor rehabilitation pain. I had the right knee done five weeks ago and I had the normal surgical pain, but I am in agony. I can walk, have 120 range of motion but the swelling is grotesque and the pain above the knee cap and the outside of the leg never stops. I ice constantly, have been given medications to control swelling, but the pain never ends. The doctor said it is progressing fine, but is think I am getting a little depressed with the constant pain. I would go through both surgeries again because my knees hurt so bad before surgery, however that pain was somewhat controllable. I am hoping for relief soon.

Comment from: drv126, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I am 2 weeks post operation with a right knee joint replacement. I am 51 years old, but after 18 months of steroids every 3 months, and bone on bone pain, I opted for surgery on June 2, 2014. My surgeon did not use the CPM (continuous passive motion) machine for me, don't know why. I have been doing the physiotherapy exercises from my home visits, and using crutches. I'm getting my staples out in the morning. Worst pain is waking up with a knee jerk, kind of like falling in a dream and jerking suddenly. Boy is it painful! I am taking Percocet, aspirin and stool softener. This is a lot more painful than I thought.

Comment from: pat in Wisconsin, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I had total knee replacement on March 26 2014. I did great in therapy and have great range of motion. I had to work hard but it was worth it. I started doing too much lawn and other work and am slowing down a bit due to more pain. Doctor says I am overdoing it. It's hard to be patient. I'm just so glad to have nice straight leg that I want to have active old life back. I have some burning and tingling in lower leg and foot. Others say it goes away. Overall I'm very happy I did it. It is not for the faint of heart but I would do it again.

Comment from: Gordon N Z, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 04

May 2008 introduced my first total knee replacement (TKR); free of support after approximately 8 weeks. My second TKR was effected in September 2008 with similar results to the first replacement, but an infection two years later created the need to open the second TKR, but this knee did not heal with full functionality for approximately two years. April 2014 demanded the replacement of my left hip joint and I am currently at the point of self-support after six weeks following the operation. All pain has not declined and the thigh above the TKR still displays bruise coloring and minor swelling. Personal option of this medical technology is an amazing relief of the arthritic pain I suffered for a number of years. Now I am looking forward to the second hip joint replacement.

Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.