Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.

Comment from: ronidads, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I had Total Knee Replacement done 10 months ago and I am still in pain. I am still taking two lots of pain killers every day but my knee still feels false and I have had pins and needles in my foot ever since. I feel like I have got a shoe full of sand, I still can't wear heels and I am still seeing my consultant. I am waiting to now have an MRI scan to see what is causing me this pain. The surgery has not improved my life in fact at this time it is worse. I wish did not have it done.

Comment from: PamelaJeanIsME, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

It is 5 days since my Total Knee Replacement. A rare side effect that I was unaware could happen was damage to the perineal nerve. Well, it happened and I don't like the feeling of no feeling. Foot drop and the nerve pain are worse than the knee pain. I know the knee replacement had to happen. It is what it is.

Comment from: badresults, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I am 4 months post total knee replacement (TKR). I had a blood clot within days of the surgery and spent 20 days in the hospital and left using a walker. After 3+ months of home therapy 3 days a week, I still have a swollen knee with limited range of motion. Over the last week since Medicare declined further therapy the knee has worsened even though I'm doing the exercises that the therapist did. I am in constant pain and don't sleep well. I've tried ice and just about all other suggested ideas for reducing the swelling with virtually no results. I can't take anti-inflammatory medications due to previous bleeding ulcers. It's hard just getting around the house let alone going out to a store. I truly wish I'd never had the surgery. The doctor keeps saying it'll eventually get better.

Comment from: grateful knee patient, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I had a total right knee replacement three weeks ago. My surgeon used peripheral femoral nerve blocks and surgically closed the knee in bent position in the operating room. I was up walking the next day. I spent seven days in rehab, and came home walking with a cane. I have taken no pain medication, except Tylenol. I even went back to work and am driving. It is fabulous! I had the left knee replaced in 2005, and even though that surgery went very well, it was very painful learning to bend it again. This surgery has been so much better and easier. Having the surgeon bend your knee in the operating room was key to such a good recovery. I am now doing outpatient therapy, and I look forward to dancing again.

Comment from: Minnie__mouse269, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I had total knee replacements on both knees on Aug. 26, 2008. So far, I have gone back to have scar tissue loosened up during sedation on my left knee. I am still having tightness and excessive pain in my caves and left ankle. My doctor can't figure out why. I go to out-patient therapy for an hour and a half, three times a week. I also was in a rehab center for two weeks after my surgery for intense therapy. I am 55 years old. I never expected this surgery to be so painful so far out. I still have to take lots of pain meds just to keep going. I have been using a cane for three days now, and the pain is still very bad.

Comment from: moulder, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I had a total knee replacement the end of November 2013 and since then I have been in pain. The knee is very stiff I do the exercises which hurt but after sitting a while the knee is stiff again. It hurts to walk.

Comment from: VICKI, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I had a total knee replacement on September 25 2013.My knee is till stiff and I have pain and swelling. My pain feels like needles in different spots on my thigh. I'm really worried about a blood clots!

Comment from: barry, 65-74 (Patient) Published: March 06

I had a replacement 14 months ago. Now I have pain in my knee and knocking when I bend it. The pain is starting to get worse each day. Now that I am on Medicare the doctor will not see me. Beware who you choose.

Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.