Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.

Comment from: Martha, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 26

I had my left knee replacement 7-8-14. Now 6 1/2 weeks later I got up with a burning aching knee until my daughter found this website and I read use ice. I thought I had graduated from this best friend. I have been applying the ice along with my medications and what a great rest of the day I have had. I go to physical therapy (PT) 2 times a week and do stretching exercises at home the rest of the week. I have to climb 17 stairs to leave my apartment and this week I have been returning using my new knee first. I plan on doing my other knee the beginning of October.

Comment from: tubemaster, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 26

I had left knee replaced 8/14/14 and have right scheduled 10/13/14; preceded by 10 years of shots in the knee, pain pills, and pain ointments. I blamed skiing and basketball. Recovery has been the worst physical experience of my life, but I haven't had many of those, so I actually believe it's a normal recovery. Week 1, pain and pain pills, lay in bed, week 2 not as bad pain, pain pills, began outpatient physical therapy (PT), week 3 reduced frequency of pain pills, more PT, returned to work at office 4 hours/day, week 4, more PT, increased office time to 6 hours, and cut pills in half, and week 5 quit pain pills except for occasional Tylenol, quit nausea medication, milk of magnesia, and laxatives. Initial pain medications were oxycodone and hydrocodone every two hours, one or the other. They worked pretty good. Final dosage was oxycodone only every 6 hours, 1/2 of a 5 mg pill. Initially it left me nauseous, with panic attacks, so I got good nausea medication from the doctor. At six weeks I still need 10 to 11 hours in bed to get 7 to 8 hours of sleep. But it's getting better all the time and I remain optimistic.

Comment from: Ginni, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

I had a total knee replacement 17 days ago. I am still taking pain medications but about half of what was prescribed. I graduated to a cane. My knee is still very swollen and stiff. My physiotherapy exercises are going well. I wonder if I'll ever get to the flex range I am used to having. Hopefully I can ride my bike in a few weeks. If I knew today how difficult this recovery was going to be for me, I don't know if I would do the surgery.

Comment from: Carol G., 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

I had total knee replacement (TKR) done August 6, 2014, today is two weeks and I am walking without assistance. I have in home physical therapy (PT) four times a week and will be going outpatient on the third week. I did pool exercise for 6 months before surgery faithfully four times a week and this is what helped me heal so quickly. I will be back in the pool next week. I will be getting the other knee done in a few months. It was not a bad surgery the key is to elevate, exercise, and ice. And pick the best doctor! Good luck and be positive, that is also very important.

Comment from: Ricko, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 11

I am a male 74 years young. Before my operation on 2nd June 2014 I found it painful to put weight on my left knee so I decided to have a total knee replacement (TKR). For 6 weeks prior to surgery I carried out prescribed exercises. This was to have been most beneficial in the long run as I went through the procedure with flying colors. Having said that, pain management was something I had issues with and even now almost 10 weeks after surgery I experience sharp stabbing pains in my knee when I sleep, not during the day, only at night. I am doing all the exercises and go to the gym every 2nd day, mind you I am glad I had the operation I'm sure the pain will go away. I am going back to playing golf next week and that is something I could not even contemplate before the operation. Good luck to you all.

Comment from: tmd760, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 08

I am into day 15 after total knee replacement surgery. I stayed for 2 nights at the hospital and I chose to have 'at home' physiotherapy (PT). My therapist is very good and helps me push myself to obtain great range of motion. I am motivated, since I leave for Hawaii in early September. I start office PT next Monday (day 21). Overall, I am pleased with results although I still feel stiff. But exercise is the key to adding mobility to your new knee joint. I ice 3 to 4 times/day. Good luck to all.

Comment from: Shirley, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I had total knee replacement (TKR) on left knee 2 years ago and everything went well, it took a year to recover and after two years I am going well on it. I had TKR on right knee 18 weeks ago and I am suffering severe pain at night which I did not experience last time past 10 weeks. Also pain at right side of knee when exercising. I have tried reflexology which seems to be helping so I will continue with that. I also massage the knee area with baby oil which helps.

Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.