Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.

Comment from: Diane, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

After an accident I had osteoarthritis and required left and right knee TKR (total knee replacement), one eleven months after the first. I spent three weeks in hospital one was in rehab. I found the operations very painful. I am 6 weeks post operation. Left knee is stiff painful and I am walking with a rollator walker. Right TKR was done 11 months ago. It feels heavy, no pain unless I twist the knee and I can walk ok with it. I am amazed that some people do so well and are only in hospital for a few days.

Comment from: Ruth, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

Ten weeks after TKR (total knee replacement) I am doing exercises and walking. I am feeling pretty good. The problem is that I walked a lot yesterday and seem to have pain rather than the usual stiffness. I couldn't bend my knee very much and using the stationary bike was out of the question. I am really worried and discouraged right now.

Comment from: TSeay, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I had both knees replaced July 2013 and now in Nov. 2013 I'm still in considerable pain. I had manipulation to break up scar tissue on Oct. 9th but I still have quite a bit of scar tissue, at least that's what my surgeon says is what I hear rattling in my head! It's awful. I also have tendons in the back of each knee that are catching on the appliances and they snap like a rubber band. This is quite painful during therapy, which I still go to 3 days a week!

Comment from: mercy, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 14

I had total knee replacement on my right knee in September. It has gone by fast, but the pain was terrible, it is amazing how fast they get you up. My knee is still very still at 120 degrees, I guess this is normal. I cannot stand for it to touch anything, and it feels like maybe two bones are rubbing together when getting up; this has made it sore in that spot when I walk. Besides that I don't hurt as bad as I did before surgery.

Comment from: will, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 07

I was operated on Oct 22nd and pain finally went away; at least I stopped taking 500mg Vicodin 6 times a day. I started it 3 times a day on June 5th. In that time I could only sleep on my back, couldn't roll over and needed a mobility cart for any walk over 100 feet. Had I known the pain would be so bad and for such a long time I never would have had the operation.

Comment from: askem1234, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I have had 2 total knee replacements in each leg in 3 years. The last was 1 year ago. First replacements were bad and never connected, so there was muscle damage and pain. I have pain 24/7, I cannot even imagine what life would be like with even 5 minutes without pain. None of the pain medications take away any of it.

Comment from: kat2, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

Y I had total left knee replacement in October 2012. I still have swelling, especially after I walk without my cane in stores or church but I cannot walk up a slant or on uneven ground without my cane. I cannot bend my knee more than 70 degrees although I had 3 therapy sessions. I am still doing my bends and exercises. But before surgery it was getting to the point I could not walk much. I took pain medications and the shots till I couldn't use either anymore.

Comment from: mustang girl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I had a right total knee replacement done in 2010. I had problems bending it after the surgery and the doctor said, "There's nothing wrong with the knee." I went to another doctor and he said the plastic part was too big and replaced it. It is much better but still sore and stiff. I had a manipulation under anesthesia and he was able to move the knee without problems. I did the CPM machine and physical therapy.

Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?
Total Knee Replacement - Recovery Question: Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.