Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Recovery

Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.

Comment from: randerss, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

I had a total knee replacement (TKR) on 02 April, 14. Surgery on Wednesday morning went well, weight bearing on Thursday there was pain and movement was very good. It was 0 degrees on Saturday morning and I was released from hospital lunch time and was home feeling excellent. Having home physiotherapy also is going well. At 3 1/2 weeks my knee is bending at 130 degrees, physiotherapy is wrapped. I still have some pain and it gets stiff at night. I am moving around home unassisted but do take 1 crutch when I go out. I believe I had one of the best medical care available. Thanking the doctor and hospital staff.

Comment from: bert, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

I'm a 49 year old man, I had been dealing with the pain off osteoarthritis for almost 2 years. I finally had surgery on January 28, 2014. I was in hospital for 5 days for pain management, it's been 12 weeks now and I'm still having pain but not as bad as before. I take 800 mg ibuprofen which works for short period. I'm just so aggravated, I have been dealing with it for 2 years before, not going to this time. I am going back to see surgeon to see what the deal is, but it definitely it was worth it besides the pain. Good luck.

Comment from: GrannyJudy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I did a lot of research on total knee replacement (TKR) last year when the injury to my right knee finally got the best of me. I found out about a new technique called "minimally invasive knee replacement" surgery and found a doctor in my area who did it. I am confident that my surgery went well and that I will someday feel strong again. For 4 years I had been doing yoga most days so I was strong, slim and had a lot of stamina. Then I joined a gym in January so I"d be as strong as possible before surgery, because the injury had weakened my right leg for over 2 years. The surgery was 4/1/14 and I was up that evening, on crutches for a couple of weeks, then one crutch and have been on my own since 4/28. Pain is the problem for me. I feel burning, stabbing pain in my knee that makes it almost impossible to do my exercises and it is worse now than it was a couple of weeks ago. My instinct says that I must continue to gain strength so that my muscles can support my knee. I am awakened by pain every 3 to 4 hours so I have to get up to take medicines. I"m switching from hydrocodone to ibuprofen but at night I still need the hydrocodone or I can"t sleep more than 1 to 2 hrs. I am depressed about this and just let myself cry through my exercises to release my emotions, since it is really sad to feel this bad. Still if I had known how painful and difficult it would be I would have chosen to have the surgery on the chance that I will be able to be active again because the injury had crippled me for life. Now I believe I will get stronger and reclaim my yoga, and my life.

Comment from: Cda oside, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 01

I had total knee replacement (TKR) of the right knee on 9.30.14. I"m possibly overoptimistic and thought I"d be a lot better by now. The fibula joint is killing me. I was better 4 weeks ago. I can"t stop the exercises, but it"s painful. I'm bot on any medications. I used dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) on my knee today, and have far less pain than during the last 6 weeks. I hope it was a good decision, in the end. I know one guy who is still having trouble almost 3 years after. I"m 62 and very fit and need to be active to stay sane. I just want to surf again, and be able to work a few more years. Good luck to you all. Best wishes.

Comment from: Painfreeplease, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 22

I am 10 days post operation from right total knee replacement (TKR). Surgery was on Wednesday and I was home on Friday. I was fully weight bearing a few hours after surgery. I walked without any aids on Thursday. I had 100 degrees flexion but very stiff. My pain was managed very poorly thus as hard as I try to do my exercises, the pain ends me pushing it. Now I have up to 55 degrees of flexion before it reaches stiffness. In my passive motion machine I get to 95 degrees which goes away as soon as I stand. I am told the first two weeks dictate long term progress. If that is the case I think I am in trouble. I am seeing my surgeon on Monday, hoping for encouraging news.

Comment from: Wackett, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

Total knee replacement was on 3/11/14 and I don"t know how it is going. The recovery room looked like a "cattle call" with all the beds and bodies all over, since then I have been back a few times. I find the doctor, his staff and other hospital personnel to be a bit on the distant side. No one there is willing to address some issues I brought up and I usually get fed something evasive and shoved out the door. Took over my own physical therapy and decided that it doesn"t matter anymore.

Total Knee Replacement - Experience Question: Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.
Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.