Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Recovery

Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.

Comment from: sacha, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I had a total knee replacement two years ago. I had no pain, and rehabilitation was intensive but fun. I had extension of 120 within three weeks, and was walking unaided the first week. Everything seems fine; no pain in the knee, although my ankles get tired after a long active day. I still worry about the future. I hope the replacement lasts. I don't look forward to ever having a revision, but previously I could not walk more than short distances.

Comment from: lisa, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 09

My total knee replacement surgery was fine. The therapy was so aggressive and I was told that I had to get my knee straight, lie flat in 6 weeks or won't get it back. They would force knee to bend to get range of motion and I had pain to point of screaming. I had little to no sleep, depression from pain and lack of sleep. Even though I am exercising, using CPM machine daily, walking, and pool therapy, I still have stiffness on knee and it is not straight. I hope to have it better down the road but it has been an awful experience.

Comment from: peterfehr, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 22

A week after total knee replacement and I couldn't be happier. Because I elected for the procedure before walking became hard, I was relatively fit going in. I was discharged same day, 3 hours after the operation. This was my option, the only rules were 'you have to walk and urinate before we release you'. No problem. I went home, made it up the stairs with little difficulty and slept through the night. I started on the CPM machine and Cold Rush chiller immediately. I was at 75 degrees of flexion day 2 and 110 day 3. I was walking with Zimmer frame day 1, now a week later with a cane. The nerve block wore off after 48 hours and obviously the knee started to hurt. A lot! One 5 mg oxycodone every 3 hours did the trick. I just got back from a quarter mile walk no worse for wear. Leg swollen and blue, but all this is (I'm told) normal. Only frustration was the pain-killer-induced constipation. Three Dulcolax for a couple of days fixed that. I am a success story and give most of the kudos to my excellent surgeon. Reading other reports, I made the right choice getting the operation as soon as it became inevitable rather than waiting until it was absolutely necessary. So far, so good.

Comment from: Birdie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

My total knee replacement was done on October 1st. At first my pain was very strong, a ten in the pain scale. My doctor had me on morphine drip at a very low dose, and I had a Foley catheter. He allowed me to keep the catheter for four days which is more than usual but I weigh 240 and getting on a bedpan was out of the question. They first sat me up next day and I tolerated 20 minutes. Then I had therapy every day and the CPM (continuous passive motion) machine for 1 hour. I was discharged on the eight day post operation. I am doing my exercises every day and the CPM machine three times a day for about 30 to 45 minutes at a time. I am still on hydrocodone PO but I am weaning myself off by taking it at longer intervals at a time. I have lasted 12 hours between hydrocodone by taking Tylenol for arthritis. I have a torn ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) on my right leg and have a hard time ambulating but I am trying to keep up with my therapy. Thank you.

Comment from: susie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 29

I had total knee replacement on August 10 2015. I had deep vein thrombosis 1 week after surgery followed by acute pharyngitis, then urinary tract infection. I had low grade temperature and flu like symptoms for 6 weeks. I would never do replacement of other knee now. It has been a horrible time. I am also anemic and have so much GERD since surgery in spite of Nexium, Zantac, and Mylanta liquid in between. I can't take iron, etc. I now have swelling above my knee for the past 2 days with increased severity of pain. I can only take Tylenol (stopped all narcotics 2 weeks ago) and it doesn't help!

Comment from: mzzbarb, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I had total knee replacement surgery on 10/02/15. I wonder if it would be okay to take an Epsom salt bath to relieve the stress and anxiety that I am also feeling through. Just wondering because it sure does feel real good right now.

Total Knee Replacement - Experience Question: Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.
Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.