Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Recovery

Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.

Comment from: 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I have had a TKR on my left knee and am seven months post-op. My knee hurts terribly at night and my doctor has discharged me. He says a TKR is a big surgery and I have to deal with my pain. He will not give me any more pain meds. I take 10 mg of hydrocodone. I'm still in pain and wondering when it will stop.

Comment from: sherran, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

Knee replacement surgery was the biggest mistake I've ever made. After two years, I still haven't recovered. My knee hurts all the time. Obviously, I must have had a bad surgeon. The scar on my knee is still a half-inch wide with a zigzag cut.

Comment from: frustrated, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I'm 51 and had a total knee replacement on my right knee six weeks ago. I had to have a blood transfusion after the operation and it was three days before I could get out of bed. I have healed well and I have done all the exercises they have told me to do. I am walking without crutches and can straighten my leg properly, but bending is an issue. The physiotherapist has me at 60- to 70- degree angles when bending the leg. I am frustrated because I've been doing the exercises, walking and everything else that needs to be done. He is talking about me going back under to have the knee manipulated. This operation was a lot more painful than I thought it would be.

Total Knee Replacement - Experience Question: Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.
Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.