Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Recovery

Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.

Comment from: John, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 30

I had bilateral TKR done on May 7, 2013, and walked after 12 hours. I had many sleepless nights due to pain but never had to use a walking aid of any kind. I had Stryker cruciate retaining prosthesis fitted, and I'm now into my fourth week and have found that wrap-around ice packs are great for pain and keeping swelling down. I'm walking normally except for stiffness in my knees from the surgery. All the arthritic pain is gone, and the surgical pain gets better by the day.

Comment from: azma, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I am two months since my left TKR. I still do not have feeling on the left side of the knee. I also have "stinging" around the scar. I can walk better than I could previously but still can't go up steps one step at a time. The jury is still out on if this is worth it or not.

Comment from: gigi0321, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

i had total knee replacement about two weeks ago still in some pain just so scared i will get a blood clot have been doing all my range of motions really scared

Comment from: DJ, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 10

I had TKR of both knees 6 years ago I spent 3 days in the hospital and 9 days in Rehab and have done well. Both knees were bone on bone. Before that it was painful to walk. I'm pleased that I had it done. It was painful but worth doing.

Comment from: agapanthus, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 20

Knee was injured in an auto accident many yrs ago, developed arthritis and 3 mos before the surgery tore the meniscus. Until then at 70yrs. I was traveling abroad and gardening. It has been 7 mos.since my surgery. It did not seem to go well from the beginning. Therapy was grueling and I had to go back and have the ligaments stretched as my range was unacceptable. After the hospital, went to a rehabilitation hospital then to out patient therapy for weeks. It still hurts every step, have shooting, cluster and burning pains and it stays swollen all the time. It is currently 3" larger than the other one. The surgeon says my pain tolerance may be less than others!!!!! My range is around 120, it clicks and knocks and I feel very wounded. Finally able to sleep on my side in bed this week so hoping i will move beyond the inflammation and pain soon...I never expected it to be so hard and the recovery to be so long. I was disappointed that the doctor and therapist were so sure that i was just not trying hard enough!!

Comment from: JImmyMac, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 12

I had right knee replacemet 15 months ago. The pain in my knee is far worse than pre-surgery. I advise against repacement surgery.

Comment from: Donna, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 08

I am 71 years old and am scheduled for bilateral total knee replacement surgery in five days. I actually am looking forward to the pain because I know that the surgical pain will be short lived. I have been in pain for years and am looking forward to getting back to my life and doing all that I can. Thanks for the great surgical videos.

Comment from: atabal, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

I am now entering my fourth month after knee replacement. I have taken water therapy and can bend my knee to a lot more than 90 degrees. I have gone back to dancing "bomba," a folklore dance that requires a lot of knee movement. I don't think I could have done this without the water therapy.

Comment from: Mogracer, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 06

I had total replacement of the left knee about five years ago. It has never stopped hurting. The doctor assures me that he did a perfect job but that "some peoples' bodies reject the surgery." I don't think he did the job properly but I have no recourse. I would never let him touch me again.

Total Knee Replacement - Experience Question: Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.
Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.