Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Recovery

Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.

Comment from: Mike, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 15

I was 'bone on bone' in my left knee for years. I tried the standard cortisone injections, arthroscopic surgery and finally after a CAT scan revealed three fractures on the end of my femur, total knee replacement (TKR) was the only hope. Like most posters on this site, I found the first week or so after surgery to be a bit of a bother - hard to sleep through the night, constipation from the pain medications, and withdrawal from same, but day by day it gets better. I could walk for fifty feet or so the day of my release from the hospital and could drive after a week. Within two weeks I could walk half a mile after taking a liberal dosing of pain medications. Do the physiotherapy! Yes, it hurts but things will simply not improve by avoiding it. I'm now ten weeks post-surgery and enjoying a quality of life I've not experienced in years.

Comment from: mommy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I had my right knee replaced on a Wednesday, was kept medicated while in the hospital, stayed until Sunday and came home. I came up 12 stairs on crutches, never took another pain pill again, except Advil. I drove in 5 weeks, back to work in nine weeks, looking forward to getting left one done next month; just do what they tell you and all is well.

Comment from: patti, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I had a total knee replacement 12/10/2013. It now 6/2014 and I'm still having trouble with patella, clunking is what my doctor says. I have along with pain and as of 3 days ago, swelling from knee down to ankle. I am having to use my ice machine again to help with the swelling and pain. Doctors say now I need arthroscopic surgery to clip the ligaments so the knee will move more freely and should fix my problem. I am not so anxious to have this 2nd surgery as the 1st surgery was almost more than I could take. I usually can handle a fair amount of pain, however I never have been able to get my pain under control. I am not very happy about this whole replacement thing. Hope you all do better than me with your knee/hip replacements.

Comment from: GrannyJudy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I did a lot of research on total knee replacement (TKR) last year when the injury to my right knee finally got the best of me. I found out about a new technique called "minimally invasive knee replacement" surgery and found a doctor in my area who did it. I am confident that my surgery went well and that I will someday feel strong again. For 4 years I had been doing yoga most days so I was strong, slim and had a lot of stamina. Then I joined a gym in January so I"d be as strong as possible before surgery, because the injury had weakened my right leg for over 2 years. The surgery was 4/1/14 and I was up that evening, on crutches for a couple of weeks, then one crutch and have been on my own since 4/28. Pain is the problem for me. I feel burning, stabbing pain in my knee that makes it almost impossible to do my exercises and it is worse now than it was a couple of weeks ago. My instinct says that I must continue to gain strength so that my muscles can support my knee. I am awakened by pain every 3 to 4 hours so I have to get up to take medicines. I"m switching from hydrocodone to ibuprofen but at night I still need the hydrocodone or I can"t sleep more than 1 to 2 hrs. I am depressed about this and just let myself cry through my exercises to release my emotions, since it is really sad to feel this bad. Still if I had known how painful and difficult it would be I would have chosen to have the surgery on the chance that I will be able to be active again because the injury had crippled me for life. Now I believe I will get stronger and reclaim my yoga, and my life.

Comment from: bert, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

I'm a 49 year old man, I had been dealing with the pain off osteoarthritis for almost 2 years. I finally had surgery on January 28, 2014. I was in hospital for 5 days for pain management, it's been 12 weeks now and I'm still having pain but not as bad as before. I take 800 mg ibuprofen which works for short period. I'm just so aggravated, I have been dealing with it for 2 years before, not going to this time. I am going back to see surgeon to see what the deal is, but it definitely it was worth it besides the pain. Good luck.

Comment from: randerss, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

I had a total knee replacement (TKR) on 02 April, 14. Surgery on Wednesday morning went well, weight bearing on Thursday there was pain and movement was very good. It was 0 degrees on Saturday morning and I was released from hospital lunch time and was home feeling excellent. Having home physiotherapy also is going well. At 3 1/2 weeks my knee is bending at 130 degrees, physiotherapy is wrapped. I still have some pain and it gets stiff at night. I am moving around home unassisted but do take 1 crutch when I go out. I believe I had one of the best medical care available. Thanking the doctor and hospital staff.

Total Knee Replacement - Experience Question: Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.
Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.