Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Recovery

Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.

Comment from: Helena, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

It is 19 days after total knee replacement. I have 0 straight and 95 degrees flex. I am taking pain and anti-inflammatory pills. I am still not sleeping through the night but I just get up and walk the stiffness out of my knee and go back to sleep. I am taking 12 hour slow release medicines twice a day, and if necessary Endone or Panadol Osteo during the day. Inside the house I walk with one cane and am walking 100 m outside and increasing this every day. I am still icing my knee three times a day and keeping my knee elevated when at rest. Physiotherapy is twice a week and I am doing the exercises 3 times a day. It still feels very tight but I find that stretching, though painful, eases the stiffness and so helps with the soreness. I am very glad I had it done. My hospital stay was 8 days to help with my pain management. Everything is now I feel under control. I know everyone is different and so recovery times will vary. I can only go by how much I improve day by day. Thank you for sharing, this has eased my concerns considerably.

Comment from: Adrienne, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I had my total knee replacement in July 2015, 8 months ago. I am still experiencing swelling of the leg but the knee joint is very satisfactory. Whether I could face another operation on my other knee, not too sure. Pain after surgery was pretty hard to cope with even with painkillers. Surgeon advised me first 6 weeks will be pretty difficult and I would certainly concur. Be ready for that difficult period, after that if you have done and continue the exercises all should be well. I try kneeling which I find pretty difficult.

Comment from: Luis, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 22

Three month after left knee replacement surgery, I still get some inflammation that goes to my ankle as well when being on my feet for several hours. The left side of the knee seems more tender than the right. Going down the stairs is ok, but have to go slow since the knee is still tender and weak. I have been back to work after 3 weeks however because I have a desk job. Hope this helps.

Comment from: dogs4you, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 08

With all the so called cures concerning help for rheumatoid arthritis (RA), don`t be fooled, there is no cure, no powders, creams, or snake oil will work. Total knee reconstruction is the answer. I had the operation and so glad I did. Before the operation I could not walk more than 100 feet, three months later I walk as if the procedure was never done. First and foremost, I must thank the doctor and his staff for the outstanding care I had. Now the badge of honor is slowly fading away, no pain. I stopped taking pain medications after the first month as in my opinion they were not needed, and will cause constipation if taken more than needed. One thing I am restricted from doing is sky diving. Never really saw the need of jumping out of a perfectly good aircraft. If you have a severe case of RA, don`t wait. Ge it done.

Comment from: keeper, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 03

At 10 days out after having full knee replacement on my right knee I am virtually pain free and walk limp free. My physical therapist came in yesterday and said my knee will go to 122 degrees. Good luck for everyone getting this done.

Comment from: William_Cleveland_OH, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 02

I had total replacement of my right knee on 12/16/2015. It was mainly due to injuries from twisting/jumping out of my truck which damaged the cartilage. Overall it went much better than I expected. I went home after 2 days and was able to walk without any assistance including stairs, slowly leading with my good leg. I never used a cane or crutches. I was able to drive after 2 weeks. I did not have any physical therapy (PT) until 3 1/2 weeks later. This week will be 11 weeks. I'm down to once per week PT. I am fully functional but still have some pain and stiffness and am not able to bend the knee past 115 deg without pain. I'm hoping I will be nearly recovered by summer 2016.

Comment from: Angie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

I had both my knees replaced 12/21/15. I was unprepared for the amount of pain I experienced. In addition my knees did not perform uniformly. My left knee progressed better than the right but still barely passed 90 degrees by my six week check. I continued in physical therapy until last week and I still have limited range of motion. My left knee is 4 and 109 degrees, my right is 5 and 94 degrees. I'm an active person so I feel like I am missing out on the things I enjoy. Conservative estimates say I will be at my best in eight months to a year. The pain I experienced before surgery is gone and replaced with the pain of my impatience.

Total Knee Replacement - Experience Question: Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.
Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.