Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Recovery

Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.

Comment from: kayc, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I had total knee replacement on my right knee and after the surgery my doctor came into my room and said he cracked my tibia as he was sawing the bone. I could not put any weight on my right knee for 10 weeks, now I am starting physical therapy and it's very painful. I do the therapy but I think because I could not walk it's twice as painful. I did exercise at home but they were all sitting down or lying down. I don't think I will ever get the other knee done.

Comment from: PJB41, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 12

I am 4 months post total knee replacement surgery for right knee and it is such a relief. Prior to surgery I could ride a bicycle but I could not walk far and I could not walk uphill at all. Prior to surgery walking through an airport was awful, I was always looking for a golf cart. Three months post-surgery we went on a family vacation and when we were walking through the airport I said to my wife, this is life changing. I go to physiotherapy 2 times a week and I exercise at my gym on my own as well. Today I took a 45 minute spin class and rode 15 miles. Two nights ago a walked 1 mile pain free. I wish I had done it sooner. Tomorrow I will play tennis. I am back in the game!

Comment from: Becca, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 11

I am 6 and half months out from bilateral knee replacement. I did rehabilitation, physiotherapy (PT) at home and then PT at the local hospital. I can bend my left knee to 120 degrees and my right to 122 degrees. I have 0 degrees on full extension on my right leg but struggle getting it on my left. Both knees were bad but the left was worse. I still feel tightness in my quadriceps and feel still somewhat awkward when walking.

Comment from: Rhoda J, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

It's now well over 6 months since my total knee replacement and I am still in pain every day! The first 3 months were unbearable but I had lots of physiotherapy and worked hard on my exercises. I can straighten and bend my knee to the satisfaction of myself and my surgeon and new x-rays show that everything is ok so I wonder why the pain is still so bad. I have been told to continue with my cycling and walking but experience severe pain afterwards when resting and especially in bed at night. I am assured that nothing is wrong but total recovery can take up to 18 months! Wish I'd never had it done.

Comment from: Bob M, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 05

I had both of my knees replaced approximately eight weeks ago. My range of motion is about 115 to 120, but I am stiff all of the time. I exercise every day, as well as go to physiotherapy around two times per week (15) so far. My pain at night is still hard to take. I only take a couple Aleve tablets twice per day. I did try wrapping my knees with Saran wrap at night and it really does provide relief. I think I will continue doing that for a while. I start back to work tomorrow and am hoping my getting back to a normal schedule will help, unfortunately, I still think my pain and stiffness will be around for a while. I swim one mile a couple times a week and I think it is helping me long term.

Comment from: brenda justice, Female (Patient) Published: December 22

I had a total knee replacement on September 18, 2015. I am due to return back to work tomorrow, December 21, 2015 as an assembler. I stand 4 hours a day and sit 4 hours a day. I'm still having pain and trouble walking without a limp. I am stressed out because my doctor said I could have pain from healing up to 2 years. I spend 30 minutes in a grocery store and I am in pain. But before surgery I was in pain and could not work.

Comment from: Tish, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 22

I had knee replacement surgery on 10/15/15 and at this time cannot straighten my knee, and my bend is only at 95. The surgeon told me the surgery was a failure due to soft tissue damage and this is as good as it gets. The pain is still at times unbearable especially at night and after exercise. I refuse to give up and work hard at physiotherapy and do all the exercises. The physiotherapist haven't given up on me and do see some improvement each time I go. I wish I never had the surgery, even though I had pain before but nothing like now.

Total Knee Replacement - Experience Question: Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.
Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.