Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Recovery

Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.

Comment from: nanny, (Patient) Published: September 08

I had total knee replacement 9 years ago. I developed a blood clot and almost died. I was rushed back to the hospital and a vena cava filter was inserted to break up clots. I ended up spending a month in the hospital and three months of physical therapy. I still have pain in my knee and now have osteoarthritis in my other knee. Doctor wants to do another knee replacement but I'd rather live with the pain and take pain pills!

Comment from: sueshe, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 03

I had a total knee replacement (TKR) on my right knee on 7/29/14. I have had a partial replacement on this knee in 2011, but it failed. When I came out of surgery, I was shocked to find out just how bad my knee was. The arthritis was bad and left me with a very deformed knee. Because of this, the doctor put a rod in the femur to give additional support. Now, my progress has been truly amazing. I am walking with a cane after 1 week, bend at 2 weeks was 110, and doing stairs. Doctor at 3 weeks lifted all restrictions. I have been driving since, and walking without a cane at home. I can bend it as far as it will go now. I am so happy with the results. Because I have had 26 orthopedic surgeries (several surgeries which included 2 partial replacements on both knees, and a revision after I blew off the back of the knee cap on the other knee), back surgeries which have resulted in a fusion from T10 - L5, S1 with screws, rods, cages, and bridges, and many foot surgeries with one foot having 2 plates in it. I also have to have a TKR in the other knee. I do have many issues and because of this I also have a lot of pain in various areas of the body. I'm not sure I will ever be able to walk a mall (back pain) but I'm going to give it my all and hope that sometime in the future I will be able to. Being positive and working hard are the key to success. And that so far, is the reason I'm in such great shape so fast. TKR has definitely given me quality of life and a better knee!

Comment from: renbaz, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 22

It's been exactly 8 weeks today since total knee replacement (TKR). I'm able to bend to 129 degrees and 1/2-0 straightening. I still have pain, but nowhere near what it was. Now I'm able to sleep 6 hours a night. I had 3 weeks intense therapy. Now I'm going once every 3 weeks for moral support. I stopped using a walker 9 days after surgery and was out walking the dog, up and down stairs in my RV. I started back to work in a big box store 4 hours a day at 6 1/2 weeks. Hang in there it does get better with time.

Comment from: nasus, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

I had a knee replacement 8 years ago with a fantastic recovery. For 6 weeks I had some stiffness, no pain, golf and all activity. I had my other knee done 4/30/14 and a very different recovery. I can walk and play golf but I have a lot of stiffness and still have pain almost all the time. I have had lots of physical therapy but getting very discouraged.

Comment from: TommyBoy, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 25

I had my first total knee replacement on 6/3/2014. I was told that after 4 to 5 days in the hospital I would be evaluated, and a decision would be made, either home or a rehabilitation facility. On 6/5, yes 2 days later, I was released to go home. My surgeon, and many others who I knew had had this procedure, all said that therapy and exercise were most important to healing. I followed their advice. First few weeks, pain was moderate, but bearable. Today, 8 weeks to the day, I am feeling stronger, and better every day. I am off pain medications for about 3 to 4 weeks now, (some Tylenol as needed). I already see the benefits, and as much as I dread the thought, I also somehow look forward to getting the other knee replaced in about 3 weeks. So looking forward to total recovery, and resuming a normal, pain free life. My advice to anyone who suffers knee pain; get the procedure done, but follow directions, exercise, and get physical therapy. Good luck to you all.

Comment from: Miya, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I was operated on one month ago, 2 total knee replacements at one time. My surgeon was wonderful as was my rehabilitation. I am walking, a bit stiffly, but well and straight with no aids. I have been able to get both legs to 0 for straightening and am at 124 for flexing, no pain medications, and riding a stationary bike. I am lucky and happy. I think I can swim next week. I obviously chose the right surgeon and hospital!

Comment from: malcolmbruce, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 16

I had a right Oxford knee replacement 3 years ago. I said I would never have another due to post operation night pain. However when left knee ran out of cartilage and I could not bear weight, I had another Oxford replacement (21/06/14). Three weeks post operation, wound is fine, range of movements good, I am walking 500 meters with one stick. But night pain is terrible. Between 11 pm and 5am I get about 2 to 2 half hours sleep in half hour blocks. I start off on my back then drift off and turn over then the pain starts. I know from experience it will get better.

Total Knee Replacement - Experience Question: Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.
Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.