Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Recovery

Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.

Comment from: Joe, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 30

I had a TKR exactly one week ago. I had a one-day stay in the hospital and quit the heavy pain meds on the second day home. I took two Advil prior to my home therapy sessions last week. Today I began to use a cane instead of the walker. I have scheduled the total left knee replacement for December unless my doctor has a cancellation prior to that time. Therapy seems to be the key.

Comment from: new knee!, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

It has been 8 months since my knee replacement. I still feel some stiffness in the tissue surrounding the knee, but everything is better than it was presurgery. I injured my first knee almost 40 years ago, followed by three surgeries so that I could walk. A very serious fracture of that ankle, and time, resulted in disintegration of my other knee and its first surgery 20 years ago. Increasing lack of mobility pushed me into surgery. I waited too long! I spent 3 days in the hospital. I used a walker for less than 2 weeks. I had severe pain that lasted about a week which then decreased to moderate pain. I "overdid" at about the 6-week point, returning to work full-time and trying to work in the garden. I was in severe pain and had to take it easy for a couple of weeks. The severe pain from my oldest knee injury has been less in the last few years, perhaps because of reduced motion. I'm putting off knee replacement for a while. I still have some trouble with going downstairs and walking on uneven ground. The worst part is that with increased mobility, my previously-injured ankle has gotten worse. I hope I won't need ankle replacement in the near future.

Comment from: Veracity, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

I had my right knee replaced three weeks ago because loss of cartilage made walking painful. I used a walker in the hospital and for a few days at home. I was cleared to drive the second week after the surgery and did so with no problem at all. I did not suffer from any severe postsurgical pain, though I wake up at night with dull aching, mostly in the kneecap area. I had about four sessions of therapy at home and am presently attending physical therapy sessions three times a week. So far, the procedure was not nearly as bad as I'd been reading about. I feel very fortunate.

Comment from: Anne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I have had a left total knee replacement plus kneecap, and feeling discouraged. I find it so hard to exercise as the pain is almost intolerable. I am still on strong pain medications, after two weeks.

Comment from: jack, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 05

I had total knee replacement done 7 months ago and can't use it. Simple fact is the more I try to use it I can't, it hurts worse than before I had it done. No pain medications help at all and I've tried everything possible over the counter, even tried mixing some that's how desperate I am. I'm at the end of my rope and don't know what to do.

Comment from: sneakdit, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I had my second total knee replacement done one month ago and cannot sing enough praises about it. My first knee was crazy painful, second knee was pain really only one day! This pain is not going to last. I'm so happy I said good bye to knee pain.

Comment from: Heather, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

I had a total knee replacement recently. I have never had such pain and sleeping is very difficult. It has made me very depressed. Hopefully the pain will subside. I go to physical therapy once a week and they say I am doing fine. Some people say that they have had little pain. I wish I could say that. Is anybody having the same experience as me?

Comment from: Catherine, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I had my knee replacement and I regret getting it done.

Total Knee Replacement - Experience Question: Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.
Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.