Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Recovery

Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.

Comment from: nightnurse1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I had a left knee replacement on 25/2/16 and if I could go back to that date and reverse my decision I would instantly. I was in hospital for 2 nights and the criteria for discharge was being able to walk up and down some steps in the physiotherapy department with the aid of crutches. I was discharged with a booklet of exercises to do and a DVD about exercise to watch. The first 3 weeks were relatively uneventful but since then I have experienced some of the worst pain I have ever experienced in my life. I saw my general physician (GP) who prescribed pain relief and then rang the hospital. They were really not interested, a physiotherapist suggested sleeping with a pillow under the affected knee, and ice packs. Things got worse and I saw a different GP about 10 days later, and he was so concerned about my symptoms he rang the hospital himself securing me an emergency appointment later that day. The doctor was concerned I had a deep vein thrombosis (DVT) which I did not and then told me the pain I was experiencing then and continued to have 10 days later is all part of the normal recovery process. If that is the case, I wonder why no one in the medical profession I came in contact with prior to the operation, explain this would be the case. The hospital doesn't want to see me again for another 8 weeks, there is no physiotherapist in place to help me and I feel stuck in limbo, a situation I am struggling with as I miss my independence so much. I am, or should I say was, fine until the 25th February this year and I am beginning to fear I will never make a full recovery. My other knee is fine right now which is just as well as surgery on it will never be an option.

Comment from: Ana, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I had a knee replacement to my right knee about 12 weeks ago. Surgery went great and I had a great surgeon. I had 4 weeks of home health physiotherapy (PT) and that was a mistake! I had to sign up for 4 weeks for 3 times per week and I should have just powered through and gone to PT where the surgeon suggested me to go. They were barely at my house for 35 minutes and they sent a PT assistant. I believe they kept me from getting better quickly. Afterward, I went to PT at the orthopedist's office building. I have gotten so much out of it and they are very patient and have me work hard. I am at 99 flexion and 2 degrees short of a straight leg. Very frustrating. I don't know if I will get my leg straight.

Comment from: Marcia, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I had total knee replacement exactly one year ago. Doctor did a nerve block prior to surgery. He came in my room next morning and asked if I could lift my leg, which I did, and he said excellent. I spent 3 days in hospital and only 4 days at a physical rehabilitation floor. I was walking 200 steps at a time when I left the rehab. I had home physiotherapy for about 6 weeks, and had great bend, 120-125. My knee was weak for 4 or 5 months, but now, one year after, I have no problems at all. Probably going to have the other knee replaced in the next year or so. It wasn't all that bad, and I am glad I had the one done; now on to the next one.

Comment from: tennis, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I had total knee replacement in January 2014. Recovery has not been pleasant even with therapy. They are suggesting revision surgery which I cannot bring myself to do. My knee pops out of the socket or whatever when I walk some time and we have to work on it for several minutes before I can get it back in socket and pain to stop so I can walk again. We do not know what is happening.

Comment from: Bobby J, Male (Patient) Published: April 06

I had total knee replacement in 10/14 by a phenomenal surgeon with great success. I had the other knee replaced by the same surgeon in January 2016, and that was done on an out-patient basis; yes, you read that right, I was back home by 3.30 pm that same day. I had in home physical therapy (PT) for ten straight days, and out-patient therapy for six weeks (3 times per week). I will admit, PT at times was brutal, but I am one to push myself anyway. Now at just 2 and 1/2 months out from most recent surgery, I am walking briskly for over an hour with no pain, no more oxycodone, just occasional Tylenol when I need it. Flexion is about 130 degrees. I got my life back, my advice to anyone thinking of having it done, do it!

Comment from: wayne n., Male (Patient) Published: April 06

I had 2 total knee replacements operated on same day. Surgery went well but the pain something else. After 7 weeks lots of funny pain still going on, I am walking well and have been unaided for 3 weeks, just seems the sick feeling won't leave me and unwell systems are still there. I have cut my medication down but nothing changes. Not sure if I would do it all again.

Total Knee Replacement - Experience Question: Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.
Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.