Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Recovery

Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.

Comment from: MrGary, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 03

I had my knee replacement done 5 days ago. I spent 3 days in the hospital as advised to. On the 3rd day while learning to go upstairs my knee buckled and I began bleeding, so an extra day was done. I found that the medication to stop swelling stopped most of the pain. My surgery used the block method and during my stay the leg was mostly numb and foot sole, asleep. I went in for physical therapy (PT) and bled again (stretched my knee too far getting into car). I got patched up and was told to not bend knee over weekend and I will try to start PT Monday. It was a rough night as the pain was unbearable (tried to slow down on pain medication). I went back to prescribed dosage but sweated in bed like a pig last night. Today the pain is controlled and we will see where we go! My wife has been fantastic taking care of me and am so glad for her care. Hopefully my recovery begins to get better.

Comment from: freddielove, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 02

Everything everyone went through, I went through the same thing and the same pain. I was downing 2 Vicodin every 4 hours and dealt with all the nasty side effects but I had to do what I had to do to bring down the pain. Total knee replacement surgery was done in June 2011 and of course I am glad I had it done but also said I never will have it done again. Well, today I am having worse pain now in my other knee that I can't handle anymore, and I can't wait for my surgery for right knee replacement hopefully soon. I know I will suffer all of above but it is only temporarily and I will soon get over it and be able to finally walk normal again. For all of you in pain hang in there! It will go away and make sure you do your therapy! It is very important that you fix that leg right the first time or it will haunt you big time. Just think, in 3 or 4 months the pain will almost be gone.

Comment from: Ian, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 29

I had a partial knee replacement five weeks ago, and things were going ok. I had loads of pain waking every two hours through the night but seemed to be improving I've been doing all my exercises but the last week my knee is swelling up and the pain is getting worse. I am starting to get a bit worried if this is normal. I'm back to see the consultant next week, I am starting to get worried.

Comment from: llfoster22, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I am so glad I found this site because now I feel like my recovery from total knee replacement surgery is like the recovery of many other people. More importantly the pain that I'm experiencing is not unusual. My surgery was on 4/6/16. I'm 2 weeks out and will be starting physiotherapy next week. I am having a hard time with the amount of pain and the character of the pain. I'm taking oxycodone every 4 hours or when needed, which is often. It seems like if I push myself with exercise and walking today I will have swelling, stiffness and increased pain tomorrow. However after reading the posts I think this is the nature of the recovery. Good days, not so good days, but I'm moving forward.

Comment from: jenni641, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I had right knee total replacement on 4/19/16. The pain shooting through my knee is so unbearable. I called the doctor 3 times today, and he said it was normal to feel the nerve endings and it shall stop in a day or two. I am regretting having this done all together. I am supposed to have my left leg done in 6 weeks but have opted out not to. The pain is so bad it takes my breath away and I scream every time I get up. Will this ever stop! They said if I go to the emergency room they would just control the pain with drugs then send me home. So now what, I don't know. I can't stand this anymore.

Comment from: Gramof6, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I am 3 weeks out from total right knee replacement. I did my homework on the surgery, spoke with several family and friends who've already been through it. I really thought I had a good understanding and went into this with great hope. Positive thoughts consumed me as I also meditated and did self-reiki. Well, long story short, nothing went as I'd hoped. First off, I needed a blood transfusion 2 pints and the pain had me out of my mind. The pounding, throbbing and swelling had me contemplating just cutting off my leg and beating myself to a pulp. Pain management was tricky due to my numerous allergies; rashes, itching, vomiting, and dizziness to name a few. I took a brush and scrubbed myself raw due to itching. It was, simply put, a freaking nightmare. Finally after 3 weeks, I'm on a pain patch and medicine for itching. Physiotherapy is twice weekly for 45 minutes each. I do my own as well 3 times every day. My range is still only 60 degrees. I'm so frustrated because goal is 120. I'm doing my very best and it's only 60. I need left knee done in a year and honestly I'd rather have my head slammed in a car door. Good luck everyone, continue working towards the rainbow. I will as well.

Total Knee Replacement - Experience Question: Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.
Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.