Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Recovery

Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.

Comment from: AnnieW, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I had a total knee replacement one and a half years ago at age 49, as many years of IV steroids (for MS) have led to severe arthritis. I've had many surgeries for various things (major and minor) and have to say the TKR has been the worse. I still have pain every day and have developed a Baker's cyst (only just diagnosed). Prior to surgery, my surgeon said my knee was "equivalent to someone walking on a broken leg." The surgery did not improve my quality of life whatsoever.

Comment from: gamasgotit, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 29

March 17, 2014 I am post total knee replacement surgery open 38 days. I am bending my knee at 110 and -3 straightening it. I have started to drive, can only walk about 1/8 mile. Physiotherapist discharged me but I am determined to get back my endurance. Stiffness is still present but working through it.

Comment from: Mrs James, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I have had two successful knee replacements. The only thing that worries me is when I get on my knees, it feels like needles sticking in me... it hurts so much. The parts look so smooth, I wonder if it is from fragments of bone left there.

Comment from: Jane, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I had a left total knee replacement 5 weeks ago. The first two weeks were difficult but the pain was very manageable for me. I went off all pain medications on day 10. Advil works well along with the ice machine and elevation. The most important thing is to be in the best shape possible prior to surgery and work hard following surgery with the physiotherapist.

Comment from: Lillian, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I had a total knee replacement on my right knee 11-13-13. I didn't know if I had done the right thing or not. The pain was so bad the first month after surgery. Now I have to tell you it is the best thing I had done for myself. My knee has healed and I'm walking with no pain. I will be able to go back to work next month as a full time letter carrier. I am very happy how everything turned out; looking forward to getting my left knee done next year.

Comment from: Bdudl4, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

I had TKR (total knee replacement surgery) 8 months ago. I am a referee for football and I have started the season and have no pain except stiffness after a game. I could not even walk after a game last year. I would have done again in a flash.

Comment from: jt, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I had a total knee replacement (TKR) 3 years ago for the left knee - and now it is falling apart. I just had a TKR on the right knee and it is still as painful as it was 3 weeks after the surgery. At this point I would like to have them both taken out - period. My quality of life has gone downhill rapidly.

Comment from: arthistory, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

The total knee replacement (TKR) was done six years ago. It was the worst decision I have ever made. The foot was numb and painful for the first five years as was the area from the replaced knee through the calf. I suspect a nerve was severely damaged. The orthopedist said it had never happened to him before and he does not know the cause of the pain. I am now scheduled for x-rays, and this is six years later. Please consider carefully and be sure the doc knows what he is doing.

Comment from: sunflower2, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I had a right knee replacement 4 weeks ago. It's very painful if I've been over active. Prior to the knee replacement, my doctor scoped the knee last summer and again this year in May. I am receiving home health physical therapy, which helps quite a bit. I'm not driving. My next appointment with my doctor will be 6 weeks postoperative. Hopefully I'll be able to drive and look for water therapy. I'm still taking pain medication every 4-6 hours and am having difficulty sleeping. I hope to return to work 3-6 months after surgery.

Total Knee Replacement - Experience Question: Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.
Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.